“Searching for Accessibility”

The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A popular tourist stop, this 207 acre complex houses a library, art collection and stunning gardens. The library and art gallery contain rare books and one of the most complete collections of 18th century art outside of London.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We always visit gardens with a certain amount of trepidation. Although our aunt is in heaven when she visits, we are the ones doing the pushing in a rented wheelchair. Recently we visited on a weekend when the temperatures approached the ninety degree mark, something we easterners hadn't seen in quite some time. Wheelchairs were easily available and there was no additional cost to get one. What we determined later was that at least for two of the buildings that we entered, accessibility meant entering and exiting by the same door. For some of the walkways, it also meant patio stones which are not the most easily navigated with a wheel chair. It was a little early in the gardening season so we didn't expect to see too much. Also, the main entrance to the gardens was closed and construction was taking place at the other entrance. My husband and I actually wanted to see the new Archimedes exhibit. Unfortunately, our aunt figured that after seeing Blue Boy and Pinky, we should spend our time in the outdoors, and that quickly wore us out.
My husband and I would love to go back and see the exhibit at our own pace. We did enjoy seeing the paintings in the building that houses the Blue Boy. They are almost exclusively portraits, but interesting nonetheless. We liked the tapestries and vintage furniture that adorned the large rooms. It gave more the allure of a family house as opposed to a museum.
We'll return at some point, but now we are more aware of the limitations of wheelchairs and gardens.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was the guest of a business contact at the Huntington Library and Gardens. Unfortunately, we did not have time to have lunch at the tea house. I highly recommend this museum/home for the art and the gardens. I felt like my business contact treated me to a wonderful find in San Marino area. I would not have had the pleasure of visiting this awesome find had I not been invited by a local resident. How lucky was I? Go see this lovely venue, and I hope the weather is a beautiful day so you can see it all and enjoy!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We've been here before, too, but it's still a world-class spot to visit. The library is superb and the grounds are too. There will be a new cafe soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We came here so that the two little girls could enjoy the Children's Garden and we weren't disappointed. There was so much for them to do amongst the flowers and the topiary. The designers have built in so many natural play features in what is also a beautiful enclave.
After a nice lunch in the cafe where the service was cheerful and unflustered we explored the rest of the gardens the highlight being the Japanese garden with cherry, almond, wisteria and azalea providing a colourful background to the water features.
The only negative was that the gardens do not open until 12.00 so that our time was limited and the $20 entrance fee seemed relatively expensive (we heard that on the first Thursday of each month entry is free on pre booking). We also only had a very short time to spare for the galleries so this will have to be a venue to which we return.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The wisteria, camellias,cherry blossoms and cactus are all in bloom. The new additions to the
Chinese Garden are beautiful. This is the perfect time of year to go.

1  Thank Granny1957

Travelers who viewed The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens also viewed

Been to The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!