“Tasty sashimi”

Katsu Seafood & Steak House
Ranked #57 of 274 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 21, 2018

The two item lunch specials include soup, lettuce and two potstickers. There are many choices. My friend and I both chose the spicy tuna roll and sashimi combo. The salmon, tuna and yellow tail sashimi was fresh and buttery.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed September 6, 2017

Katsu has really high quality sushi at a great friendly sushi bar, a dinner area suitable for families, and an area where a chef cooks at your table similar to Benihana. The staff is very helpful, and fast to serve.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 9, 2017

The Japanese place has everything Katsu! The sushi is prepared fresh and in front of you. The presentation is quality. The food is good and the asian atmosphere is great.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed June 12, 2017

A friend made the reservations and based on some of the reviews here, I wasn't sure what to expect. Bottom line, I thought it was pretty good, and I've been to a lot of similar restaurants (including ones in Japan). I wouldn't say it's the absolutely best teppanyaki I've ever had, but the food was certainly good and the prices are less than some of their chain competitors.
Pros: Friendly staff, available seating (with reservation), good service, good food. The restaurant was quiet enough to talk which I appreciate, and the overall value was excellent. We had both sushi as an appetizer and a variety of teppanyaki dishes amongst the group, all good.
Cons: Limited beer menu for a San Diego restaurant (though authentic to Japan).
So hopefully more people will have the same experience I did and not like some of the others. To be fair, I've only had one meal here, so maybe it varies depending on the chef. But I certainly wasn't disappointed!

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank MarkUSNA1998
Reviewed February 19, 2017 via mobile

Came with the fam of 7 for a bday. Reserved a teppanyaki section. We were immediately seated and orders were taken right away. Service was on point. Unfortunately the good points end there. The taste of the meats and sauces were not good, not tasty. Majority of us didn't finish our food. It's a bad sign if the best part of dinner is the green tea ice cream (red bean ice cream for my nephew). We all ordered a katsu combination dinner: filet mignon and shrimp (over cooked and hard), New York steak and calamari, chicken and shrimp , etc. Average price for combo dinner is $26. Check for 7 people plus 1 order of crunchy roll = $218 plus tip. The dog is happy with the amount of leftover meat.

We don't plan to return to this restaurant.

Date of visit: February 2017