“We won't return ”

Katsu Seafood & Steak House
Ranked #58 of 273 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed February 19, 2017 via mobile

Came with the fam of 7 for a bday. Reserved a teppanyaki section. We were immediately seated and orders were taken right away. Service was on point. Unfortunately the good points end there. The taste of the meats and sauces were not good, not tasty. Majority of us didn't finish our food. It's a bad sign if the best part of dinner is the green tea ice cream (red bean ice cream for my nephew). We all ordered a katsu combination dinner: filet mignon and shrimp (over cooked and hard), New York steak and calamari, chicken and shrimp , etc. Average price for combo dinner is $26. Check for 7 people plus 1 order of crunchy roll = $218 plus tip. The dog is happy with the amount of leftover meat.

We don't plan to return to this restaurant.

1  Thank OC_M_Lu

Reviewed November 15, 2016

We have been coming here for years. Excellent menu, prices, quality food and great service makes this one of our favorite eatery's.

Reviewed October 4, 2016

If you are going for lunch make certain you are there way ahead of closing time even more than 1/2 hour before they close or you will get the dreaded attitude.

We were there 1/2 hour before closing and were reluctantly showed a table. In addition, before we were told welcome - which, BTW, never occurred - we were told we had only one opportunity to order - no changes, no additions - first call is last call!

I've been a fan and avid follower of Katsu since before it left its original location in Escondido and moved to the then brand new Restaurant Row. I followed my favorite sushi chefs, and my pine sake box there. Our out of town guests, family members and friends are taken to Katsu for special occasions.

Last week I had the misfortune to arrive 1/2 before the restaurant was closing for lunch. I get it, and I understand that they were closing for lunch but the manner in which we were greeted, treated and may I say ignored, was just plain rude.

We ordered a raw fish platter and soup for lunch. I know this restaurant is no longer owned by the original owners, whom I miss because they were welcoming and friendly.

Nonetheless - the food, as always - was delicious and top drawer (I only eat sushi) and I will go back again but if I get the same treatment - there will be no tip. I tipped because the fish platter and other sushi ordered were so beautiful and delicious and I figure some of the tip must go to the sushi chefs. I will just sit at the sushi bar next time.

I AM RATING THE SERVICE WE RECEIVED VERY POORLY BECAUSE OF THE ATTITUDE, AND I AM RATING THE VALUE (THIS TRIP) AS POOR FOR THE SAME REASON.

1  Thank FoggyMonday
Reviewed October 1, 2016

I love their sushi and their teriyaki and the food is consistently good. It is a good place to go when you are hungry and if you are only 2 people you can eat at the sushi bar which is always interesting.

Reviewed July 3, 2016

their salad dressing in a small bottle looked unpleasant and dirty and sure enough after eating salad i had diarrhea

1  Thank 601dani007