“Rooms clean, location good, nothing else to crow about”

Days Inn San Marcos
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
San Diego, California
“Rooms clean, location good, nothing else to crow about”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

If you are looking for the one-nighter, or need a clean place to sleep, this is it. This is one of the old "outdoor" door, two-story motels of years gone by, but the rooms are clean, the staff is good. Don't expect anything more than that and you'll be okay.

Do not stay here is you want any amenities. It's clean, close, and that's about it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ConVivo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Stayed here on a Saturday night, got to the motel before check in time, was still allowed to check in. Front desk staff were awesome. When my wife asked what was in the area, the gentelman (wish I had written his name down, he was great) advised of us a casino in the area that would give us a free buffet just for signing up for their card. Even printed directions for us. After a horrible weekend so far, this was a life saver. Had a great night out for very little money thanks to him. The room was very nice, like that there was a fridge and a microwave in the room. Room was clean, beds were comfortable. Firm but not rock hard. Shampoo and conditioner supplied in the bathroom. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Really nice place. Breakfast was also very good. Yes, just pastries, ceral and waffles, etc. but food was fresh, not stale like other places.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kijay13
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I spent one night here on a business trip and while the room was not luxurious, it was clean and comfortable and had everything I needed. The staff was friendly and the price was great too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RealValleyGirl
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Great hotel for people on a budget who don't plan on spending a lot of time in their room. The rooms are just "ok", but the staff is friendly and the free breakfast is fantastic! They have the standard fruits & pastries, but there's also a waffle maker, breakfast cereal, milk, coffee & juice. It makes it really easy to get up, eat and head out for a day of fun in San Diego!

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarrieFink
Cypress, California
Reviewed June 13, 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel on a business trip and were looking for an inexpensive overnight stay. This hotel had unexpected extra amenities such as wi-fi, a safe, microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, hair dryer and a deluxe shower in the tub. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room wasn't large, but it was clean and did have a desk and chair. The continental breakfast included Belgian waffles fresh from the waffle machine, pastries, cereal, a choice of juices, milk, coffee, decaf, and tea. We definitely got more than we expected for the price we paid. There were many good restaurants within easy walking distance, and the hotel was easy to find.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Phylthequilter
sacramento
Reviewed April 19, 2009

First impression was not good...Shabby hotel that stunk of smoke and mold.
We were there for a wedding and they continually gave away our rooms, forcing people to sleep on the floor of the pending bride and groom. What a mess.

The breakfast was a joke. Two hours of mayhem. It's not the motel's fault that eveyone and their mother is there at the same time with bed head and pajamas but wow...what a sample of American society. We all took showers and went to grab some food on our way out for the day...others rolled out of bed. Not enough for those staying and not enough room. High speed internet is a joke. We planned all of our outings from a blackberry due to the poor connectivity. Computer in the lobby is about 10 years old and makes noise when it turns on, not to mention running some kind of early 97 Windows program.

Upon check out they proceeded to charge seven dollars more per room than the agreed dicount rate. Not the end of the world but with four nights and seven rooms it adds up quick. I thought I was lucky enough that someone else was paying for my room....Little did I know that a week later the motel would charge me for someone elses room...over $400 dollars removed from my account. This place is a joke! DON'T BOTHER!

• Stayed April 2009
3 Thank beertrip

Travelers are raving about these San Marcos hotels

la
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I reserved my room online and there was no mention of a pet fee. I called Ramada before reserving to make sure pets were allowed and there was no mention of a pet fee. When i checked in there was no mention of a pet fee.I even included in my reservation that I had a pet and so got a foul smelling smoking room since that is what was allowed. But upon check out, I suddenly got hit with a $25 pet fee. I explained that this was a total surprise and it had never been mentioned by Kenya, who had checked us in, nor online or when I called. The fellow checking me out didn't apologize, didn't offer to waive it and, although he said he would talk to his manager, and the manager would call me -- no one ever did. Total rip off.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank qwertyasd
ramadasm, Manager at Days Inn San Marcos, responded to this review, June 9, 2009
There was a miss-understanding. For some reason Ramada remove the pet fee. Upon check out we asked the customer if everything was o.k. He said yes. We would gladly have give him the refund for pet fee if he was unhappy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
Super 8 Escondido
Super 8 Escondido
#12 of 16 in Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel

Been to Days Inn San Marcos? Share your experiences!