“The finest traveller motel”

Days Inn San Marcos
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I stayed there for business/leisure with my girlfriend for a week. The hotel is very easy to find (just on the exit of the freeway). In the area there are some malls, a carniceria and a pastry bakery just next door.
It is the classic box-shaped motel, and includes 2 buildings. There's plenty of parking.
The room was reasonably large for 2. Furniture and amenities ok (fridge, coffee pot, tv, microwave, alarm clock, air conditioning...). Generally clean (I have to admit I found a couple of ants strolling on the sink). Free wi-fi internet connection works pretty good.
Breakfast is standard, with good fresh pastries.
People at the reception are friendly.
A very pleasant stay at a reasonable price. I'd surely come back.

If you spare a couple of hours, a fifteen-minutes drive from the hotel (continuing on San Marcos Boulevard down to the ocean) brings to the Carslbad Outlet Stores, with a lot of nice shops with very interesting prices!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Sysyphus

Reviewed February 17, 2008

A few weeks after my very horrible experience at the Motel 6 in the Escondido area, I decided to "upgrade" slightly while still keeping that "traveller's value" I very much like. I decided to give Hotwire a try for the first time and see what I'd get. It ended up giving me the Ramada Limited off San Marcos Blvd. Unfortunately, with the fees Hotwire tacks on, I ended up paying a few dollars *more* for the room than I would've by booking directly, but its a "live and learn" experience. Next time, I'll book directly with the property.

The Ramada is *right* off the Rt. 78 exit, and nearly adjacent the west-bound exit ramp. It was a bit worrisome at first, as I'd thought traffic noise would be bothersome. Parking is abundant. The property appears to be two, two story "box" buildings. There's a Carniceria adjacent the motel, but no food within decent walking distance, if you discount the McDonalds across the VERY busy San Marcos Blvd.

The hotel had a brisk business, mostly recreational traveller-types, and a few families with young children. Children get to stay for free. The woman at the counter was very friendly and accomodating about my request to have a "quiet" room away from families and noise. I got a room on the first floor with a "view" of the Rt. 78 offramp. Strangely, traffic noise was never a problem. I assume the window was soundproofed enough. The room was on the smallish side, but was clean and comfortably furnished. Nightstand with a clock radio and phone. Notepad and pen. Very small desk that was perfect for a laptop computer. Room had a bureau with a safe and hangers. There was a mini-refrigerator and ironing board. The mattress was relatively new and comfortable. I was most impressed with the unexpectedly soft bed linens! The box AC/heater was digital and very quiet; no sleep-disturbing rattles or whines during startup or cycling. The buildings was quiet at night, with only the errant bump or thump that would be expected. Very pleased with this result!

There's an assortment of personal soaps and shampoos made available. Shower was clean, ample spaced and a new "massage" showerhead with good water pressure. The only realy complaint were the towels were a bit more "scratchy" that I would've liked, considering the decent quality of everything else in the motel.

There is free wireless internet that worked very well. Big bonus for a low cost motel! I did not utilize the free breakfast buffet in the morning, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, for approximately $15 more than the dreadful Motel 6 just 5 minutes down the road in Escondido, my experience with this Ramada Limited was a nice surprise! Its a comfortable, affordable motel that's perfect for the day traveller who doesn't expect "hotel" sized amenities. Those who would normally tend towards the Motel 6 for their lodging needs, I'd HIGHLY recommend you give this Ramada Limited a look first!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Skorzy
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We asked for a quiet room away from the freeway and they did give us that. The rooms have seen a lot of use though and could use renovation. The floors were dirty. My husband used the coffeemaker one night and the housekeeping didn't clean it or restock for use the next day. There were many construction workers staying there; they are fixing the freeway in the area. It wasn't downright seedy, but it's definitely not a classy establishment. The air conditioning will keep you up if you're a light sleeper. The towels are scratchy. It is sandwiched between the freeway, a strip mall with a taqueria and panaderia and an RV sales lot. There is a McDonald's across the street and it is located near some decent shopping. It was purely utilitarian for us. If we go back, we won't be staying there, but for the money, it wasn't a rat hole.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dearinggirl
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The price was just right. Only problem was the breakfast was a zoo. Way too many people for that area. When I was there that day there was maybe 35 people. The free internet was very fast.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Nickatnight
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Shabby room, musty smell, rattling A/C, staircase descending into the trash area of a local taco restaurant, across the street from Home Depot and the day laborers. This is a Motel, not a Hotel. The only thing going for it is low price, and the on-again off-again free WiFi. Makes you long for a nearby Motel 6: spartan, but safe and clean.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Dean-Laura
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I wasn’t going to stay here due to the last review. I didn’t know what to expect. All I can say is Wow. My room had wifi(free), safe, coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The front office told me there was a gym I can work out right down the street. I can’t remember the gym’s name; I think it was International something. The gym was very nice, I worked out for about 2 hours. The free breakfast was pretty good; you make your own waffles on this machine. Would I stay at this place again? Yes!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank lovetotravel97
Reviewed October 29, 2006

The floors were disgusting, I had to go to a local store and buy fleece blankets to cover the floor so my son could play on it. The maids don't actually bring vacuum cleaners when they clean the rooms so I'm guessing that's why it was so bad. Anything that hit the floor became blackened with the crud. I even asked if there was a nearby coalmine--that's how dirty it was.

This motel is right under the freeway--lots of noise and freeway smells.

If you can stand that, it's close to many things, and seemed safe enough. There were some construction workers lingering at the restaurant that backs to the parking lot, but they didn't make any noise or present any other issues.

It's more like a motel than hotel, with outside parking, outside stairs to get to your room, and no easy way to transport lots of luggage upstairs (no elevators). I'm surprised it has 2 stars.

The continental breakfast is actually fairly decent, maybe that's what pulls up the rating. It's just the basics but it's in a separate room with a TV and clean tables to sit at. The coffee is drinkable and the danishes were fresh--they also have cereal, juices, tea, etc.--the usual continental breakfast fare.

The high speed internet was fine, if a bit slow sometimes. The front desk staff were nice.

But it was the repulsive floors that made me give this hotel a rating of terrible.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County

Been to Days Inn San Marcos? Share your experiences!