“Good value, good motel”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Los Angeles, CA
“Good value, good motel”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I liked my stay at the Ramada Limited. I needed a hotel halfway between L.A. and San Diego. The price was right and the location looked safe and convenient. The Ramada Limited was a pleasurable stay.

I asked for a room on the top floor, away from the street and I got one. My room was a good size, though the TV is very close to the edge of the bed, and the bathroom is a touch small. But the room was perfectly good for me. My neighbor was blaring his TV from the hallway but once I closed my door, I couldn't hear it at all, which is a good sign of their walls.

The room is no frills but clean. You get the usual shampoo, lotion, soap kit and there is a fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Even though the motel is close to the freeway, you can't really hear the street noise. The motel is also very close to lots of shops and restaurants.

The parking lot is big and ample parking. The buildings can be a little confusing to navigate as there aren't a lot of signs pointing you to where you need to go, but it's not a big deal.

WiFi was free and good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LilMissTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
houston
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Room faced away from freeway with large television, desk, hairdryer, refrig and microwave. Friendly desk clerk was helpful in offerring services such as wi-fi,parking, and free breakfast. Our only problem was rush hour traffic exiting San Diego to get here! We were greatly delayed because the San Diego Airport commuter terminal is ignored by Thrifty car rental pick up service. Do not rent from Thrifty in San Diego.

1 Thank vitreous
Lancaster, California
Reviewed July 19, 2011

After reviewing comments on Trip Adviser, my wife and I stayed at the Ramada Ltd, for 4 nites at a very good rate thru AARP..

It was a clean room with a very comfortable King-size bed, fairly new A/C and nice shower. Because of the reviews, we requested the 2nd floor in the building away from the Freeway, and we glad we did. Our room faced a quiet RV repair business next door, and a large hedge provided some screening. We had no noise problems, but there were some commerical traffic (heavy semi-trucks) that were staying there at the same time, and the drivers "hung-out" in front of their rooms, which faced the parking lot.

The free continental breakfast is adequate, but there is only one waffle machine and at times the small room (5-6 tables) is very crowded and you have to be patient to get a chance to make a waffle. Cereal, rolls, toast, juice are a much quicker breakfast choice.

Ramada Ltd is a very good and reasonable choice for this area, but you'd best be flexible in your standards.

It was a Good Value!!

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor on east side of complex, away from the Freeway
1 Thank hi-desertraveler
Ft. Bragg, NC
Reviewed July 18, 2011

If there was less than terrible, I would have ranked it that. Sleeping in my car would have been a better experience, and less expensive. Half of the outlets in the room didn't work, Ironing board was mounted so that it was un-usable, freeway noise all night, the "free" breakfast involved a couple of rotting fruit, stale bread and a toaster...no coffee, no juice, no water, no ice, no napkins. Housekeeping will make up your room, but they leave no towels they will leave the dirty linen hanging in front of your room all day...you need to go to the lobby to get anything..
They say they have WiFi, but there is no bandwidth. The staff at the front desk is apathetic at best. Pay the extra buck and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at another place
1 Thank TMartinFt_Bragg_NC

Travelers are raving about these San Marcos hotels

Ft Lauderdale
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very ordinary hotel with well kept premises and rooms. The two-bed unit we had seemed cramped but fit everything and served every function. Lousy looking TV but good channel lineup and pretty good wiFi internet. The pool area is on the small side and right up against the busy parking lot and street but it's also well kept. Breakfast offered a few more options than your usual no-frills hotel breakfasts. No complaints but nothing to get excited about either.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vespro
Alhambra, CA
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We were in town for the Vista Strawberry Festival 5K, checked-in on Sat, the hotel had two buildings, we got Room 242, Non-Smoking, facing Camping World, Nice Big Room and Clean, enjoyed the big TV with Cable, HBO, ESPN, etc. A lot of restaurants near the Hotel, went to AppleBee's on Sat eve, saw a big line two doors down, a Phil's BBQ, so we went there on Sun eve for dinner and again on Mon afternoon after checking out for lunch...Great BBQ, they had a webcam so you see if there is a long wait.....That shopping center had a bunch of other restaurants, In-N-Out, Chick-Fil, Jamba Juice, Panera Bread, a greek and mexican place too....Across from the Ramada is McDonald's and Carl's Jr.

I used the room WiFi, worked Great, even though there were no instructions on Password in the room and Front Desk clerk did not inquire if I was going to use my laptop and offer me the Password/instructions, I had to guess the Password on my own and got lucky on the first try, "Ramada".....

There is no tourist attraction in San Marcos, made the drive West on San Marcos Blvd, turning into Palomar Airport Blvd and led right to the Pacific Ocean in Carlsbad. I did spot an Edwards Cinema house a little bit West of the hotel on San Marcos Blvd. This Ramada was right off the 78-Fwy.....

Again, at Check-In, the desk clerk did not offer us the Free Breakfast, it did not dawn on me until I checked out and saw the sign about breakfast on the Hotel Marquee Sign on the driveway as we were leaving the property.....

Overall, we were still impressed for the value of our stay, $56 Sat, $53 Sun, you cannot get a price like that in the North County area of San Diego, especially for the Memorial Day weekend....Would definitely stay here again in the future.....Also the room had a microwave oven(did not use) and a little fridge that we stocked up with sodas, Gatorade and water brought from home....FREE Parking!!

Room Tip: Book early, on-line.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kenneth W
So Cal
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed here for one night due to its location in North County, for shopping and visiting friends. It's location is pretty good, since there is a Fry's, Best Buy and many other stores and restaurants all around. A big bonus is that Phil's BBQ just opened on the other side of the freeway.

However, the motel itself is in the middle. No frills, but it does have a refrigerator and breakfast in the morning is decent, as you can make your own waffles with batter, much like a college cafeteria.

I booked for one night through PL, and a fair price. Checking in, I received a one bed king sized room, when I wanted a two bed room instead ($10 extra). I might have paid had I stayed longer, but decided to save that money and eat at Phil's instead (brought a sleeping bag). If you are traveling solo, this will be fine, though its location might attract the wrong type of crowd, so be aware.

If you get this place, it's OK, but if you can spend the money, there are other hotels in the area that seem nicer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Super 8 Escondido
Super 8 Escondido
#13 of 16 in Escondido
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County

Been to Days Inn San Marcos? Share your experiences!