“Great Place to Stay”

Lakehouse Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Lakehouse Hotel. It was clean, people were friendly, and room service food was excellent. There was a lovely pool outside my room (I didn't get a chance to use it.) Hope to stay there the next time I am in the area.

The only thing I didn't like was their shampoo and conditioner. I'll bring my own next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Lakehouse_Hotelier, Guest Relations Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Pamela B, Thank you for choosing the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort! We're always happy to have our local Southern California locals come in and enjoy the relaxing property here on the lake. Hopefully the next time you are able to come out and enjoy our two heated pools or go out and relax on the lake with one of our many lake activities. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy our Lather Apothecary bath amenities, please let us know what you prefer for your future stays and our team will do our best to accommodate you. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next legendary escape!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Everything is on a human scale here, quite refreshing after some of the big chain hotels like a Hilton or Marriott. Surrounded by demure mountains, the lake is small and still charming, with the option of fishing or kayaking etc offered by the hotel. The pool area is quite nice with 2 pools and 2 hot tubs plus a bar. I strongly recommend the rooms with a lake view, otherwise it would be kind of blah. The room itself is nice and we both LOVED the bed -- perfect. Nice rainwater shower, nice robes to lounge around in. We're looking forward to being back!

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank richard_traveler

richard_traveler, We're happy you were able to step out of the ordinary and enjoy our unique and relaxing property on the lake. We certainly take pride in creating an atmosphere unlike what you can find at the large hotel chains. We look forward to having you and your wife come out and possibly enjoy the activities that take you out onto the tranquil water.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is strives to be different by having a relaxed check in process, stylish bathrooms and comfortable rooms. I think they hit the mark with this newly opened hotel. The eating options for the hotel are in different buildings that you have to walk or drive to. Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will stay again IF the price is right. My rate was under $130 for a room overlooking the parking lot. A lakefront view would have been nicer but considering how little I stayed in the room I don't need to pay extra for a view. Also, if the rates were any higher I think that pushes this very nice property to the level of a nice Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
T23Manager, Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thanks for your recent stay! We are proud to stand out from the pack with our stylish rooms, Serenity mattresses and full-service marina while offering an unbeatable value. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The Lakehouse Hotel and Resort was a nice stay for four nights for us as we were in San Diego on business. It's too far from San Diego proper, but close to the northern locations and we had some business in San Marcos so it worked out fine. The issue I have with this place, and the reason I dropped it to three stars, is that it really isn't a "resort" property by any sense of the imagination. I think it's oversold -- and overselling can lead to disappointment. I booked this thinking that it was really a 4-star resort, and when I discovered that it's simply a strip motel that was remodeled into a higher grade property, it was really kind of a shame. You should have seen the look on my spouse's face when we drove up and saw where we were staying. I don't care how nice you make up the room, when you park your car out front and walk up stairs to your external entrance to a room, that's a "Motor Hotel," or "Motel" for short. The price I paid for this motel room was absolutely outrageous - at just over $200 a night. While we had certain nice touches (the beds are very comfortable, the quality of the furnishings is quite high, and the bathroom amenities are high grade), there were other disappointments like the housekeeping staff forgetting to bring the coffee and coffee accessories when they clean, or the $5 price on the bottles of water in the room and so on. Basically, they want to charge you for being a resort but they'll never ever get to be a resort when the architecture of the place simply says "motel." I don't think I'd stay there again, and I go back and forth to San Marcos regularly, unless I had a better price. They are at LEAST $50 overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Lindaj99

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our signature Serenity mattresses, friendly staff and luxurious bath amenities. Through our online photography, we try to very apparent that the hotel has exterior hallway entrances, so I'm very sorry that this was a surprise to you. I hope the next time you visit you'll have the opportunity to experience our resort amenities including championship golf, a full-service marina and our saline pools.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed 2 nights for the hotel and nearby golf. All staff that we met at the hotel and golf course were excellent. The restaurant at the clubhouse where we had one dinner and one breakfast was also very good and good value. Monday evening they had a half price off your food. Wow! For golf as hotel guests, we were treated extra special. The maintenance at the course was good with smooth rolling greens, generous fairways and plenty of challenge. The 14th hole is fun with a high tee box and beautiful view. We would definitely stay and play here again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

W S, thank you for your thoughtful response! Our team is always striving to maintain an excellent escape for our guests here at the resort. We're happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your escape and were able to savor our new menu at the restaurant! We look forward to having you back for you next legendary escape!

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Rooms look bigger in the pictures, but overall it was a nice hotel. The location is great, right next to the lake. plus there was much to do by the lake also. The fire pits by the pool give it a nice flare. The staff was nice and it was close to a few restaurants. Don't forget to walk along the lake at night, the lights make it look amaizing

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Muy1916

Muy1916, Thank you for choosing the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort! I apologize if the pictures had seemed misleading; we do have various room types here on the lake, varying in both size and location. We're always delighted to hear that our guests were able to take advantage of the many activities our lake provides and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere both on and off the lake. Our team strives to provide our guests with an experience second-to-none, so when you are looking for another getaway experience, our team will be happy to make sure you are receiving the legendary escape you are looking for!

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this resort for a national dog show event AND we got married on the patio at our cottage facing the lake. Everything was very nice but at this time there is no restaurant. One sort of silly thing..or cottage had a full size refrigerator, a Keurig but no microwave and for that price it should have.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Beau1Wi, Thank you for choosing the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort for your special day! We're thrilled that you were able to take advantage of the great atmosphere the cottages provide on the lake to create a very memorable and unique wedding. I do apologize for any mis-communication about what amenities our rooms provide; however, our full-service restaurant provides rooms service 24 hours a day and is always happy to prepare delicious meals for your family. We hope to see the two of you again for another legendary experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego North/San Marcos
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad

Been to Lakehouse Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!