“Great sauces; friendly service; tasty curries”
Review of India Princess

India Princess
Ranked #102 of 242 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went for dinner at 5:00 and ate a la carte. Don't know about the buffet which ended at 4:00, but it looked large and varied.

We were pleased with just about every taste. The mint chutney was mild and tangy. More mint than coriander; more lemon juice and ginger than green chile. The onion chutney was chunkier and spicier. Both were excellent and plentiful. The nan bread was hot, right out of the tandoor.

Try the vegetable pakora for a starter. Mild spice in the filling and a crisp flaky shell. Terrific with tamarind sauce. The chicken tikka masala was creamy and flavorful. The paneer masala equally buttery and tasty.

The palak paneer was probably the best taste. Creamy and not too "spinach-y" with very nice nutmeg flavor. If you order "hot" you better mean it. We ordered medium and it was just right. Friendly wait staff. Cozy interior.

1  Thank Tom F
There are newer reviews for India Princess

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Horrid!
We went in for dinner and I knew from the gate it was not going to go well but since we had a coupon for either one free entree or 20% off the entire check I went ahead with the meal.

We were not "seated" instead the lady pointed to a table and said that would be ours if that was ok. Too far to walk 20 feet?

We looked over the menu and were trying to make some decisions based upon the coupons we had. We get the lady's attention and proceeded to ask about the menu and coupons. We were told that the "free entree" coupon was only good for up to $12. That was also in the fine print of the coupon. Nearly all the entrees were 15-18 $ so that was interesting.... Then they had on the menu "house specials" which were complete dinners for 2. That would have worked nicely with the 20% off coupon but she then informed us that the coupon would not be applicable for the "specials" as they were already "specials". It did NOT, I repeat DID NOT say on the coupon that it could not be used on the specials. Decided after the attitude we were receiving that we would not push the point because we were inclined to believe our food would be the victim if we did.

So we finally made our choices and ordered. She asked if we liked it spicy and we stated that we like very spicy food. We have eaten at many Indian places and "very spicy" was always a good choice. NOT here. It felt as though they must have decided that since we were coupon customers they did not want us back. The food was straight capsaicin and nearly inedible. Could barely taste the other ingredients. Naan was mediorcre, pretty flat and dry. The only good part of the meal was the rice (great texture) and the Mulligatawny soup.

The other server/busperson was a great gal and was very attentive.

The inside of the place appeared bedraggled and dirty. Decor looked very old and some of the lights were in need of bulbs? Glad I did not come for the buffet as the steam table and it's signs were obviously filthy and ancient.

I would not recommend this establishment to anyone and I will never go back.

1  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Leftover tandoori chicken thrown into masala dish. Watery lentils and spinach dishes. Yuk desert. The one in gaslamp san diego is much better. I hope they improve, as it's a nice location. And the staff is nice.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We had not been there for more than five years and were pleased to find that the food and service was as great as ever, and the value even better. While their buffet offers affordable eating at very reasonable process, we prefer the great variety of appetizers, condiments and freshly baked tandoori breads and different preparations from the menu. Garlic Naan with Riata and homemade pickles served as the appetizer. Then my wife had the Chicken Pakoras (deep fried chicken) which were crisp and non oily on the outside with the chicken succulent and juicy on the inside. This is an appetizer dish with the portion large enough for a shared appetizer or, as in this case, a main dish for a smaller appetite. From the exceptionally wide range of different preparations of Lamb, Chicken and Seafood I chose the classic Rogan Josh lamb preparation. The lamb was truly moist and tender while the ‘heat’ was perfect at medium (level 6/7), and the portion was generous. One gets to choose the degree of spice in the preparation as everything is cooked to order (not the case for the buffet). In the past I have found that anything above an 8 is far too hot for me and destroys the taste of the food, although we have friends who say 10 is ideal. There is a fairly extensive wine menu at reasonable pricing and a fair beer selection, especially the imported Indian beer. Parking is in a large lot, although there can be a long walk at peak times. I have not eaten at many Indian restaurants in the San Diego area but from memories of regularly eating Indian food as a poor college student in London, India Princess is good traditional Indian cooking at prices that make the meal a bargain.

1  Thank 22club58
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We have been eating at India Princess for years. The more we try eating Indian food in other cities and countries the more we appreciate the India Princess Food. The food is always fresh, the restaurant clean, and the staff gracious and excellent customer service. When I eat Indian food elsewhere I just can't wait to come home so I can go eat here. Every special occasion is spent at this restaurant. The most important thing to me, is that I cannot handle spicy food. I have to have a mild curry, and this restaurant adds flavor and then makes it spiciy, so when I order my Korma mild, it's so full of flavor. Most other Indian places, if I order it mild, it ends up flavorless. I just can't recommend it enough.