“Debbie makes a great breakfast!”

Debbie's Restaurant and Pie Shoppe
Ranked #30 of 242 Restaurants in San Marcos
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We’ve visited Debbie’s twice at breakfast and once at lunch, and breakfast is definitely the time to go. Huge helpings of the best home-fried potatoes you’ll find anywhere, full of sautéed green peppers and onions.

Both breakfast visits, I ordered a veggie omlette—once a spinach and mushroom and once the asparagus special. The veggies are fresh and gently sautéed so they are still a bit crunchy the way I like them. Both times I enjoyed a wonderful homemade biscuit alongside, and my husband can’t resist Debbie’s muffins. These are baked in mini bundt pans and served warm.

Since this is a pie place, we went for lunch to sample them. Now, my mother is the world’s best pie crust maker so I am very hard to impress. Debbie’s crust is fine, though not up to Mom’s, of course. The piece of fruit pie we shared after lunch was very good, especially since it was served with a huge scoop of ice cream alongside.

We took a piece of Snickers pie home for later. Sorry, I cannot recommend it. It has “whipped cream” on top but of course real cream would deteriorate in the pie case. This white stuff is the kind of topping that stays looking nice but not too tasty to eat. Even Cool Whip would be better, but that would also deteriorate. We do understand that it is a bit much to ask Debbie to add the cream topping as the pie is served. And how would she handle to-go pies? Our solution: skip the pies with cream toppings. The meringue pies are probably ok, though we did not try any.

There are newer reviews for Debbie's Restaurant and Pie Shoppe