“A little disappointed.”

Blackstone Pizza
Ranked #123 of 242 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I gave Blackstone a shot recently, and I have to say that I'm a little underwhelmed. It was FINE, but based on reviews I'd read I have to say that I expected more.

We got a pizza with half Street Taco, and half Vegetarian, and I must say that the highlight, much to my surprise, was the veg half. The vegetables tasted really fresh, and delicious. The Street Taco half was really bland... If I'd been given a slice of it, in some form of taste test, I'm not sure that I'd have been able to tell what the intention was. It was simply BLAND.

In my opinion, if you're going to make a taco pizza, the meat has to be fairly well seasoned. I picked up a few pieces of carnitas off the pizza, to taste them independently, and they tasted like... nothing. I certainly don't care what kind of meat they use, but I want to taste taco on a taco slice... and I didn't. The only taco-y flavor is a salsa they give you on the side (couldn't taste the sauce under the cheese either). If you don't put salsa on the slice, it won't taste like it's inspired by Mexican food at all. My suggestion - either season your carnitas a little more aggressively, or switch to something like Barbacoa to spice it up a little.

I'd love to try Blackstone again. I want to like it, as it's so close to our house, but based on our first experience I'm not running out the door to get another pie here.

There are newer reviews for Blackstone Pizza

Reviewed April 28, 2012

This place is THE BEST PIZZA in North County. Family run joint, owner covered in dough dust and pulling the tap of Stone. Very very interesting beer selection (check out the bottles and cans), great staff, but it is the pizza that will get you coming back. Thin crust, and very interesting selections. The two best (IMHO) is the Shangri-la- vegitarian, but roasted veggies with (I think) some goat cheese (?)- just fantastic. The other one we always get, and just as interesting in the 'street taco', think carnitas, with cilantro and avacodo- sounds odd, tastes amazing. We've strayed from those (buffalo chicken, Hawaiian a few different ways (comes with spam..), but always come back to those two. Out of the way over by Mission High, worth the drive. They also deliver.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Its relatively new, and in my neighborhood, so I thought I'd give it a try because some of my old favorites aren't worth going to any longer -- you know, increasing prices, decreasing portions (its the economy stupid!!! LOL).

Anyhoo. . .I've ordered their food three times (twice in their store, once a take out). Two out of the three times I had significant intestinal distress.

On the positive side, have to say they have a great thin crust (I love bread though, and actually like my crust a little more substantial), reasonable specials and a nice beer selection.

However, there isn't much in the way off cheese or toppings on their pies.

The restaurant has an interesting design, and if you like a lot of reflected noise (the interior is hard, curved wood that just amps up sound), then you'll enjoy it. If you are looking for a nice quite meal, and there are kids present, forget it.