“Blah...so-so”

Hampton Inn San Marcos
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here on recent trip to Legoland. Hotels in Carlsbad all sold out for the holiday. Paid $140/n with AAA discount. This is probably the worst hotel we have stayed in the past 3 years.

The good:

1. clean room/bathroom
2. nice breakfast
3. coffee in the lobby
4. good shower pressure with warm water
5. check in/check out was painless
6. free parking
7. good wifi connection
8. close to a lot of good eateries
9. close to Legoland, beaches, Premium Outlets

The bad:

1. NOISY.
2. NOISY.
3. NOISY. Can hear eveything from the hallway, from the outside windows, from the neighboring rooms. Every room's from door slams with each entry. Our room literally shook every time our neighbor let their door slam. There is ~1 inch gap between the front door and the carpet. Really, Hampton Inn?!? Why not install some rubber flaps to cushion the noise? Noise was so bad, it was hard to get to sleep and when we got to sleep, was awoken by more noise.
4. Breakfast room is tiny. Better get there early.
5. Reserved a King bed room but on arrival was told that they sold those rooms out.
6. Laundry room has exactly one washer and one dryer. Cost $1 for each use. No change machine. I was able to get change at a nearby laundromat.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn San Marcos

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed for leisure, close to my brother for a family event and not enough room at his house for overnight stay. Stayed at Hampton Inn for 3 days.

The nice young lady at front desk allowed us to check in 1.5 hours before normal checkin hours and she was extremely pleasant, leading to a good start. Stayed in the room on 3rd floor right next to elevator. Hearing the other customer getting ice did not bother me, and the general noise of visitors exiting the elevator did not bother me. Overall very clean room and bathroom. Only downside was no fridge or microwave in my room with a king size bed. But bed was comfortable.

The wireless on my ipad in my room was spotty and slow. But it worked nonetheless.
My last morning there, I went to the visitor computer in the lobby to access my email to print my boarding passes for United, and the computer was so slow, I could not ever ope my email after 10 minutes of waiting even though the guy at the front desk said I could print from that computer to the printer behind the service desk. Never happened. Machine was beyond pathetic, not even usable.

The night shift guys at the front desk were more interested in their own conversation than helping.

Positives: Great price for the area, clean rooms, comfortable beds, good A/C.
Neutrals: Great check in experience with young lady at desk, but night desk guys were just shy of rude.
Negatives: Internet computer in lobby, no fridge or microwave in rooms near elevator, and the scrambled eggs in the breaklfast buffet.

EXCELLENT: If you catch it, the bagel toppers in the breakfast buffet were amazing. But it was only available on Friday morning of the 3 mornings I was there.

I will stay here again for the price. Great price for the general area, enough that I will come back. For sure......

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I checked in at 3:15PM. I was initially given what I see is the worst room (next to front desk and between weight room and elevator). My check in preference was specified. When I went into the room, it was not cleaned. I went to the front desk and asked for what I indicated in my preference and they found it. I have been a long time customer and have never experienced this issue. My child had allergic reaction to the pool. Tools were lying next to the pool which I saw is a potential hazard. Walkway was about 5 ft and the tool occurred about 3 ft. Breakfast was not ideal (eggs and sausage were very dried).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
sansmhx, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

Dear blee33028
As GM of the property, I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We regret that you had less than satisfactory stay with us. I appreciate you pointing out your concern in regards to our pool area which will be addressed by our maintenance staff. If you can reach out to us directly, we would greatly appreciate an opportunity to apologize to you personally. Thank you for your time.
Hampton Inn San Marcos Management

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Frequent travelers know that when you stay at chain hotels like the Hampton Inn, you can (or at least should) expect some level of consistency in terms of physical layout and amenities. The difference in quality between properties is almost always in the operational execution, and this location executes pretty well.

The common areas (such as the lobby and breakfast area) were clean and tidy. Check-in and check-out at the front desk were efficient and friendly. The complimentary breakfast had the usual continental offerings, plus waffles, bacon, potatoes, fruit salad and pre-made omelets. The lady tending the breakfast area was very capable, ensuring that everything was well-stocked. If you don’t have a car, you should know that there isn’t anyplace to have dinner within immediate walking distance. There are a number of dining choices within a short (2-3 minute) drive

My room was spacious, clean and quiet, everything in the room worked properly, and the bed was quite comfortable. The sink/vanity was located inside the bathroom, which is fine for a single traveler but not optimal for families. The free wireless Internet connection was a little spotty – according to the front desk, the connection went down because a new, upgraded router was being installed.

The next morning, I went to my meeting feeling rested and refreshed, which is the bottom line for any business traveler.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BruinDan
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Stayed here for business, Checked in and the front desk was OK not overly friendly but not rude. The outside of the hotel is very nice but the rooms are really bare. The breakfast in the morning was pretty poor on selection and quality. The hotel was not bad but for the price it was that great either. I would probably give it another chance.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Always prefer trying independent hotels when I can. But in the height of summer with a few days to book, this isn't going to happen at an affordable price.

Needed somewhere close to Legoland. This place works, only about 15 mins away.

Staff were great and helpful. Allowed use of pool after hours etc...

Room and breakfast were of usual Hampton Inn high standards. Comfortable beds. HDTV. Wifi worked well with no dropouts. Clean.

NOTE-
No fridge in 2 queen room.
Avoid room by elevator and side entrance.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LVSaint
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The hotel was as good as a Hampton Inn should be. Staff, breakfast, bed, room were all great. Close to highway but my room was quiet. I was happy to save company money by staying here rather than in Carlsbad, CA. Rush hour to San Diego was almost two hours so give yourself time. I had a three night stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego North/San Marcos
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown

Been to Hampton Inn San Marcos? Share your experiences!