“San Marcos Breakfast Hot Spot”

Mama Kat's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 258 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you like a traditional, hearty breakfast, don't miss Mama Kat's. Breakfasts are phenomenal and huge. Coffee never ends, and the staff is super friendly. It makes you feel like you've come to a friends house for breakfast (one that can really cook). The have amazing homemade pies too. If you're dieting, save up calories to come and enjoy and plan to take home half your meal -- they really are that big. Don't miss the biscuits and gravy, pure heaven.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was there mid-week (party of 1) and it still took 10 minutes to get a spot at the counter. That is a testament to how good the food is there. The service is super-friendly, the food superb AND plentiful and the pricing is in-line with other area restaurants offering far less of a meal. Its an experience simply watching what the serviers are bringing out to other tables...OMG !
Can't recommend highly enough !

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Although my day begins much earlier, when a friend invited me to breakfast at 10:00 AM, I could not resist the invitation. It was my first time experiencing Mama Kat’s Restaurants and Bakery, in the city of San Marcos California.

From the moment I entered the parking lot I knew it must be quite a draw. There was only one parking space available, which quickly became mine. There was a lineup of people waiting to get in, and soon I would know why. The menu was quite extensive with listings for all kinds of things on the breakfast side. They also made special mention that they would be happy to make any pie for you with 24-hours notice. They had, for example, six or seven different kinds of eggs Benedict, and many other mouthwatering selections. It seems at Mama Kat’s Restaurants and Bakery they customize everything. I did order eggs Benedict, and while I couldn’t decide which one to choose, the waiter suggested I have a bit of both. The coffee was hot and plentiful, served in their oversized mugs. At the time we left, there still were a few people anxiously awaiting their turn for a table.

I couldn’t help but notice how attentive, warm and friendly where the wait staff. There was no rush to eat and leave, and it did leave one with the feeling that he was dining “at home”. No doubt the wonderful combination of courteous and efficient staff and great food make this place ideal for a return visit. It was obvious to me that the servers at Mama Kat’s Restaurants and Bakery love their job; another ingredient for a successful business.

I will be sure to recommend this restaurant highly to my friends, and be back soon. When you go, arrive hungry and be prepared to be quite pleased. And by the way, tell mama I’ll be back soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our family makes it a point to find places that have character, serve wonderful breakfast food, good service, and make you leave stuffed. Mama Kat's fits the bill on all fronts.

On a recent trip to the area, we ate here for brunch 3 times. Not once were we ever let down. The cinnamon bun French toast was an absolute hit. The chicken fried steaks and Don Juan eggs benedict will absolutely filling. The children's menu is varied and fairly prices. The servers were enthusiastic.

We've tried coming here on weekends, and the wait time was not going to work for our young family. But coming in on a weekday was just fine, as the only wait we ever had was 10 minutes.

With all the travel that I have done and all the restaurants I have eaten at, Mama Kat's for brunch is right near the top of the list of favourite places to go.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Mama Kat's has lots of character and charm with a friendly staff which makes it pretty popular, especially on Sunday mornings. We were warmly greeted and it was not long before we were seated and coffee servedas we waited for our food. Unfortunately, both the old fashioned waffle and the corned beef has arrived cold. I expect the place was too busy to deliver food while it was still warm. Too bad! I likely would not make a trip out of my way, although I confess the pies looked very tasty.