“Nice new hotel, freeway close yet quiet.”

Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Never hurts to stay in a new property, and we really enjoyed this nice new hotel. it is right next to the freeway, Literally, and yet very quiet. Close to shopping and CSUSM, we stayed to be close to friends in Escondido. I would recommend this hotel for family or business if the location makes sense. Fitness center, outdoor pool, and express breakfast made our stay pleasant. We will plan to go back!

Room Tip: Up is better for noise.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank agbowden
SANMCManager, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear agbowden,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! Our entire team understands that there are many lodging options in San Diego and we are so appreciative that you gave us the opportunity to host your most recent stay.

I will be sure to share your comments to our team, as I know they will be so happy to hear your experience was a success. The City of San Marcos, CA is a growing town and is also becoming a mecca for both business and leisure travelers who seek great accommodations, in a safe and healthy environment. Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you visit San Marcos, CA! Thank you and please have a great week.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Not a whole lot to add with the other positive reviews. We chose this location to make a stop-over from the SD Zoo one day and Wild Animal Park the next. I used Marriott points on what turned out to be a sold-out weekend, so I consider myself quite lucky.

The freeway location was very convenient (not noisy) and I love free parking and free WiFi. Check-in / check-out was a breeze and breakfast was good. The kids loved the pool although I thought it was a little cold. We had a room with 2 doubles (not sure if they are all this way) and the beds were very comfortable. The kids used the sofa bed to have their 'own room' and slept fine. A previous poster complained about the sofa bed not being made up - as soon as you open it there is an note that they leave a clean set of bedding in the closet. I much prefer this as it is in a sealed bag and you know they are clean.

I would definately stay here again for pleasure or business. I hope this is the model for all new Residence Inn facilities!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank agoldman3

Dear agoldman3,

Thank you so much for allowing us to host your most recent stay in San Marcos, CA. I wanted to tell you how important your comments are for our hotel team. Understanding that you are a Marriott Rewards Member, I can see how travel is an important part of your week. I will be sharing your comments directly with our hotel team, as I know how much they appreciate it. I addition, I wanted to invite you back to visit us anytime in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may assist with any future travel plans to San Marcos, CA. Thank you so much and have a wonderful week.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

The Residence Inn is a much needed hotel upgrade for San Marcos. The entire facility is clean and much newer than the local alternatives. Location is good and though it sits near the 78 freeway none of the rooms actually "face" the freeway.

Local shopping at a strip mall with a Ralphs and CVS makes it convenient. Great option for families traveling to San Marcos in support of their sons (baseball) and daughters (softball).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear Goodjava,

Our entire team appreciates hosting your stay, thank you for choosing Residence Inn by Marriott! We all work so hard to create and maintain a positive experience for all of our guests, and your comments are never overlooked.

I agree with you regarding the development in San Marcos, CA and the upgrade needed as it continues to grow. Our Management Team maintains a close relationship with many of the community leaders by placing time and emphasis on local affiliations such as the San Marcos California Chamber of Commerce, as well as other Convention and Visitors Bureaus. We look forward to hosting future stays in the San Diego North area and hope to see you soon. Please have a great week.

All the best,

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Property was new. I will list the few things I didn't like:

1) How come so many Marriott's have HD TVs with fuzzy cable? I find this to be a consistent issue. Only half of the channels are high-def too which seems weird.
2) Breakfast was not always stocked & the selection never changed. I have been to many Residence Inn's and they always try to switch it up at least a little bit. Not here. The coffee tasted strange on two separate occasions.
3) Pool guy kicked us out of the hot tub at 10:50 (10 mins early)

This hotel is about 15 minutes from downtown Oceanside and about 20 from Del Mar & the San Diego County Fair. There isn't anything walking distance, but the hotel is right off the freeway and is a short drive to malls, restaurants, and grocery stores.

It's not a bad hotel at all, but I wouldn't choose this option over the other Residence Inns nearby that I've stayed at. There just seemed to be a few minor problems here and there that added up to a mixed feeling once we departed. We will return to the Residence Inn Oceanside next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Wife and I had to temporarily relocate for 3 days to somewhere where we could not only literally "live" for those days but also be able to keep business going during this time.

We chose this hotel after reviewing other options in this area and after meeting and talking with Vince Stubbs, the very personable, likable, Director of Sales.

Vince and the hotel staff made us feel completely welcome from the moment we arrived. All were very courteous, friendly, helpful.

As to services and facilities, the "morning breakfast" was quite good with an array of choices from bacon and eggs to fruit to hot and cold cereal, toast, coffee and juices ~ enough to start any day feeling well fortified. There was also light evening snack type food available in the general reception/meeting/tv area; quite enough to satisfy the basic need absent of any desire for a full blown evening meal.

The rooms and all publicly available facilities, including the gym and pool areas, where clean, well maintained and, in fact, almost as new since the hotel has relatively recently been completed and opened. Our room also included a full size refrigerator, a microwave and min cooker plus all utensils and lots of cupboard space so we could have easily prepared and cooked real meals in our room if we had chosen to. In fact, the only "complaint" we had was that the bed was a "Californian King", which, for two people who really enjoy each others company, like each other and like to snuggle, seemed like a vast expanse in which we felt lost. Our room was literally as good as, if not better than, any modern bed-sitter or studio apartment we had ever seen.

We had some challenges in getting either of the hotel's in-room provided internet connections to work - and staff would have helped us with that - but we also had our own direct connection to Verizon Mobile Web services via our laptop which worked perfectly well for us with added benefit of secure data exchanges.

Location is perhaps a mixed blessing: Good news; hotel is very close to 78 freeway: Other news; hotel is really close to Las Posas. Las Posas is an entry/exit roadway to 78 which, in turn, connects you with all points in San Diego via I5 or I15. The hotel is also relatively close to the light rail system and Palomar College and close to down tonw San Marcos and Restaurant Row.

We were staying on the Las Posas side of the hotel which is a very busy connecting road that really backs up during rush hour. Surprisingly, the traffic noise in our room was really not bad considering the proximity to that traffic. The other side/front side of the hotel would be very quiet but on the otehr hand gets most of the sun during the day which could mean that rooms on that side could get quite warm in summer.

Overall, this stay was great and we would not hesitate to go there again as a first choice in this area and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone whether they need a place for business purposes or otherwise. In fact, we joked that it was so complete and satisfactory that we could just move in permanently and be quite happy living there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterBeddows
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I loved the location, close to everything. The wonderful ocean is a short drive away and the attractions of San Diego very accessable. San Marcos is a great "small" town with big town comforts. There is shopping, movies, and great restaurants. I especially enjoyed the hiking trails, there were a lot a choices of difficulty and length of the hike. The staff was fantastic and helped make every day easy and fun. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the manager's reception had just the right ambiance.
I am a senior citizen traveling alone and I felt very safe in this wonderful hotel. I would definitely like to return next year and would stay at the Residence Inn/San Marcos

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
SANMCManager, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

Dear Calrose1939,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego North/San Marcos! Our team really enjoyed the time spent with you in the Breakfast Area, Manager's Reception, and also at the Front Desk discussing the best hiking trails in San Marcos, CA. The Residence Inn San Marcos is one of few hotels in the area that boasts safe interior corridors, I was so happy to hear that you maintained peace of mind in these safe surroundings. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you so much from all of us at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego North/San Marcos!

Josh Lujan

Reviewed February 4, 2011

Love this place! Every interaction with the staff was excellent! Not one complaint. I have already recommended this hotel to multiple people and their response to me was a big thanks - they loved it too. If you need to stay anywhere near San Marcos, don't waste your time looking at other options - this is the place you want to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
#22 of 36 in Carlsbad

Been to Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos? Share your experiences!