WINNER WONDERLAND

“Delicious hidden gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama's Meatball

Mama's Meatball
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nipomo St.
Description: Mama's Meatball offers authentic, homemade Italian dining & catering, Our chef cultivates and harvest most of the organic produce to be used in our menu from our garden's rich soil. The idea of a garden in the city is fascinating and it allows us to keep in constant contact with nature while providing with a true Farm-to-Table experience. Furthermore, we are committed to preserve the land and its resources by providing agricultural produce, fishery and cattle livestock that adhere to strict sustainability practices. All poultry, fish, beef, and pork are sourced locally and must be, free range, organic, non-hormone treated. Just as Chef Nicola wants to pay respect to the culinary history of Italy, he is solid in his commitment to respect our land and water, with conscious usage of the resources available
“Delicious hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was very wary having read a few unkind reviews of this place. But I was pleasantly surprised. Of course we did eat at 5:00, which might make a difference. Excellent meatballs. Everyone at the table tried a pasta dish, and they all were very happy with their orders. I will definitely return.

Visited June 2012

Fort Myers, Florida
“Mama's does it right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had six in our party and we all had something different from the menu. Everyone was very pleased and believe me, Mama's meatballs are delicious! They were larger than a golf ball, moist and held together well. This is a small dining area and probably would be best to have reservations. We really enjoyed the entire dinner and desert there. By the way, the creme brulet is wonderful, but everyone said their desert was wonderful.
We would definitely keep this on our restaurant list when visiting SLO!

Visited June 2012
Los Osos CA
“Excellent Pasta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had the roasted beet salad & spaghetti carbonara and my husband had the asparagus soup & eggplant parmesan and of course we both had tastes of each others food. With drinks under $40. Both meals were excellent and we will be going back. Such a nice surprise, someday we will just go in for one of their desserts and coffee.

• Visited May 2012
Dartmouth, Canada
“Went on a whim ... Left With a Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Spent a night (May 9) in the area and craving Italian, weighed our options and thought why not... Mamas. Well we were absolutely overwhelmed by what turned out to be awesome. To be fair, we were told it was a quiet evening by our waiter...

Simply, the food was beyond expectations (I had spaghetti and my wife had manacotti (?)).It far exceeded expectations. Service was great. Price very reasonable. What more can one ask? Oh, we finished it off with a nice walk on a nice night back to our hotel..

I think I heard it described as a hidden gem. Very true. I would recommend to anyone

• Visited May 2012
San Luis Obispo, California
“Simple name, authentic food & great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Arguably one of the best restaurants in San Luis Obispo (I can say this as a local) for the money. Though the simple name can throw you, the food is REALLY good and what you would expect at a high end Italian eatery, but there is nothing stuffy about this place. Kids love it - it is very seriously family style, but nice. Incredible wine list to match and though the space is a bit small and the tables are close together, it is an authentic Italian experience. The wait staff are very well trained and knowlegeable both on the food and how it is prepared, but also on what wines will pare nicely with your selection.

One of my very favorite things about this restaurant is that they have two portion sizes. A small plate and a regular order of many of their house entree specialties. This allows me to watch my intake while not feeling I'm missing out. The soups are fresh and prepared from scratch daily - my favorite is the asparagus. They serve these tiny little garlicy rolls that are to die for, but you won't get them until you get your food ~ or they'd run out of rolls no doubt.

The pizza is so ridiculous, the ravioli de zucca is also sumptuous. My favorite thing is the grilled salmon, served with baby vegetables, it is consistently cooked to perfection. Great selection of desserts as well - including a killer Tiramisu.

Though a little hidden in the old Creamery, it is worth seeking it out ~ you won't be disappointed. Oh ~ did I mention that you can overhear the chefs speaking to each other in Italian in the back? Yeah - good sign!

• Visited January 2012