“A SLO-Town Institution”

Cuisines: Soups
San Jose, California
“A SLO-Town Institution”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I first ate here in the '70's, and they're still a great sandwich place. It was pouring rain, and we got the LARGE sub, a hot beef special with two kinds of peppers, seasoned with oil and vinegar. It was exactly what we needed on a wet, wet day. Delicious, warm, and filling. The large could easily feed three people, or two very hungry travellers!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jilara

Lancaster, ca
“Great Sandwiches!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stopped in here for lunch, and had a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich. The "dressing" they put on the sandwich made it great (oil & vinegar, dijon mustard, and mayonnaise)!! The bread tasted like it was freshly baked too. Probably one of the best sandwiches I've had in a long time. MUCH better than any subway sandwich.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank purpltaz27
Redmond, Oregon
“Good road food !”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had very good sub sandwiches here while driving long distance from LA to Oregon. There was perhaps too much lettuce and the buns were big and bready....but everything is fresh and tasty and it is very convenient to the highway 101 if you are making time.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank anne g
Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“Love it!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have been going to Ben Franklins since they opened when I was a teen & I am now in my late 50's. It is consistently good, and they have their own style. They use fresh baked rolls, either wheat (my choice) or white. You choose small (about 8 inches), med, about 16 inchs, or large, about 24 inches. I like each section cut in half so it is easier to eat. They put shreaded lettuce on it, and the standard is a vinegar/oil dressing with pepper. You can also ask for mustard and/or mayo, but I don't. I like it the original way. They also have drinks, coffee in hot pots, soup, chili, chips (including locally made SLO Taco Works tortilla chips). They also put thinly sliced pickle and onion on the sandwhich along with the meat. I never get tired of it. Love it! Highly recommended. A small is enough for most people.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank MOTHERLOAD
Los Osos, California
“okay”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I used to live in SLO County years ago, and I was sorely disappointed in Ben Franklins' this time around. Service seems to have gone downhill. Food was mediocre. Service was just okay-clerks seemed like they didn't want to be there.

Visited August 2012