“Not bad, not great. Wine selection local and good.”

Sushiya Restaurant Incorporated
Ranked #177 of 304 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The sashimi I ordered was run of the mill. It wasn't particularly well cut, though it was served nicely. They didn't serve the normal salad with ginger dressing or miso soup. :(

Maybe the rolls are better.

1  Thank Sonoran_Skies

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Good rolls, nice setting. Alot of variety in the menu to please a variety of people.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was late, thay were closing & I was jonesing for some sushi! Their front door was open and there was still guests at the tables, but they were closed. I went in anyway cause I really needed a wasabi fix (you know what i mean). The young lady politely explained thay were already closed but I politely persisted. After a short conversation with the manager, and some intervention by the SushiChef they cheerfully ageed to whip up a couple of diner rolls (spicey tuna roll & soft shell crab roll) to-go. The price seemed on-par and I left a fat tip for their special effort. Everything was good. I was surprised to see the tuna was all ground up into a paste, no solid meat. There were some crab pieces in the other roll, but again there was also a lot of the ground up stuff. I've always viewed the paste stuff as filler and prefer to see and bite into meat pieces. I am NOT saying it didn't taste good. The meat verses paste-filler issue is why I rated them a 3 (average) out of 5 (excellent). I asked a sushi chefe once why some places make the paste rather than use meat pieces and he said the paste takes up more volume and is easier to form inside the rolls. For the record, I rate the service and atmosphere a 5 Star Excellent.

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Don't go...Service is terrible, waitresses chitchatting too much, a hostess is very rude..Oh, food is ok. If you want real sushi, go to Goshi.

1  Thank Kip_10
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I always enjoy dining at Sushiya. The sushi is always very fresh and tasty. Their specialty rolls are HUGE and I'm usually full after eating just one of them. They also have a great plate menu for some of my friends who don't like sushi. Sometimes if I wanna splurge on myself a little, I'll sit at the Teppan table and the chef will cook wonderful dishes right in front of me. And wow are the protions generous! I always go home with delicious left overs from the grill. And the waitstaff is so helpful every time. They really know the menu and can easily describe something to me if I need it. Or if I feel like trying something new, they find the perfect thing to fit my craving. I just wish that their prices were a little lower, but you get what you pay for. Enormous rolls with high quality sushi is worth the price. I love going to Sushiya