Sands Inn & Suites
Inn at San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)
$85
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$139
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$179
San Luis Creek Lodge(San Luis Obispo)
$169
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$125
  • Breakfast included
$154
$134
Agoda.com
Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$99
$204
$195
Madonna Inn(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$209
All reviewswafflesfree breakfastupgraded to a suiteheated poolmotel stylestay there againfront desk staffspacious roombooked this hotelking bedpaso roblesthursday nightmini fridgeupon checkfarmers marketcookiespismo beach
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in July 2013. It was a bad experience. We had to stay there,because all the other hotels in that area were full. We had been driving all day, and were tired. They gave us the " conference suite" for a cheap price. One of the other posters spoke about the conference room turned into a suite. I don't have a problem with a conference table, chairs and lots of old pictures and trophies on the wall. What I have a problem with is that it was dirty. The bed linens were stained and felt like they were not washed. It just had that dirty feel to it. The bathroom was not that bad. My husband saw the room beforehand, and asked if the ancient looking air conditioner worked. They said yes. Well, it didn't. It was not terribly hot outside, but after we got back from dinner, the room was stifling hot and stuffy. My husband told the front desk, and they came to look at it. The man said he did not know what the problem was, it had been working. They would get the maintenance man to come out, but he lived out of town. We waited an hour. My husband went to the front desk to ask about it. The man was sitting there folding towels, and said he "just called" to say he would not be coming. Why didn't he call our room to tell us that? He just plain lied. My husband had a few words with him and left. The man said some rude comments to my husband. So much for the customer is always right. Never stay here. They are just not professional at all!

Room Tip: Don't get the conference suite. Better yet, don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Doxie57
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel many times when my daughter was a student at Cal Poly and decided to stay there again on a recent CA driving trip. The motel was just as we remembered, and the property is maintained well. The staff was friendly and helpful, and our room provided everything needed for a basic, comfortable stay. The room was clean, and the lobby had delicious just-baked chocolate chip cookies at check-in. The included breakfast was ample with a good number of choices. While this motel is very "basic", at $79/night it provided everything we needed for a nice return visit to one of our favorite towns.

Room Tip: Rooms 141-148 are single story and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

As Cbauer81 noted, indoor corridor hotels, which the Sands is not, are quieter; and there was the unavoidable car noise from the centrally-located parking lot. Fortunately this calmed down when it came time to sleep.
The breakfast area was basic, but clean. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, but there was reasonable variety and plenty of food; and hey, it's free! Piping hot waffles that I was able to make in the self-serve waffle maker, were a fun novelty for me.
Staff, in general, were very helpful, especially Chris in reception, and Lisa who's in charge of housekeeping.
For me the midweek special: $79/night for 2 or more nights, made Sands a great value!
The Sands is a bit far to walk to downtown, about a mile, but the good news is that there's no need to go downtown, at least to eat. I especially enjoyed eating at Jaffa Cafe, about 3 blocks toward downtown on Monterey.

Room Tip: I was in 143, in the single story building, and I had no issues with noise from the Monterey Street, the 101 Freeway, or other guests. The suites, over the pool, are set back from the parking lot, and seem like they'd be quieter, if you can afford them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently stayed here for Cal Poly Graduation Friday June 14-Sunday June 16. Have stayed in different nearby hotels and decided to give The Sands Inn & Suites a try. I normally stay in a "indoor" corridor type hotel, because of noise issues. I am a light sleeper and it was very quiet here. No noise whatsoever. There was a little problem with my reservation, graduation weekend is always crazy, but was quickly fixed without any other issues. Yes this place is a little older. ALL hotels in SLO are older!!! But very clean. Good carpet. Comfortable beds. Refrigerator, Microwave. Clean bathroom. Shower was good. We didn't use the swimming pool due to the weather, but walked over to check it out and everything looked really good. It's not within walking distance of downtown, no hotels are. My family and I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have a student at Cal Poly and they are graduating in 2014 MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS IN JUNE ONE YEAR PRIOR!!!!!! By August everything will be booked. AND everything will be double regular price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cbauer81
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Sands Inn & Suites is a nice, clean and well located motel in San Luis Obispo. While not the Ritz, it served my needs well with a comfortable bed, good internet access and a refrigerator. I liked that I was able to park right at my room door, which helped as I was only staying 1 night, and I needed to easily move stuff from my room to/from my car.

This hotel sticks out for 2 reasons, (1) they have a nice collection of DVDs that you can check out for free and watch in the DVD player provided in the room. (2) The breakfast was better than most hotels of this caliber; I particularly liked the fresh cinnamon rolls.

Again, while not exciting, this hotel met my needs very nicely, and was an oasis after a long drive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so that you can park close to your hotel door.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo