“A good deal”

Motel 6 San Luis Obispo North
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed February 5, 2009

This is obviously a no frills hotel but totally decent. We were given a room in the back and it was quiet and comfortable. The room was clean and the bed, I must say, was extremely comfortable. I had one of the best nights sleep out of a 4 night trip at this motel, and the desk staff was efficient and friendly. If you don't need a fancy room, this place is a great deal. Close to SLO too. Maybe a 3-5 minute drive to downtown SLO.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2009

After looking over the reviews for hotels in this town, and seeing Motel 6 properties rated similar to other limited service properties that were charging twice as much, I decided to go with Motel 6. I found two Motel 6 locations at the same offramp when visiting the Hotel Website. I booked this location since it was a few dollars cheaper than the other one.

I arrived at the hotel and found the location to be a bit desolate next to a luxury car dealership, some kind of state or government office, and a rough looking former chain coffee shop. This motel is your standard Motel 6.

The sheets were not perfectly clean, but appeared to have been changed from the prior user of the room. The table and area next to the tv were not overly clean with one having a few very small crumbs and the other having a beverage ring of some kind, both of which I was able to clean easily. Although my room was halfway back the property I could still hear noises from 101, but this did not stop me from sleeping nor did it wake me up.

The pool area looked okay, but was right out front and the closest thing to the highway, so it was not overly relaxing. Aside from being here to sleep, I really didn't feel like hanging around this place. There were a number of retail stores at the Madonna offramp and west on Los Osos Valley Road to occupy my time prior to sleeping.

The other Motel 6 across Los Osos Valley Road appears to be a former La Quinta property and looked a lot nicer than this one. I would be inclined to give that one a try next time I am in this area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Wonderful stay. My daugther goes to Cal-Poly. My family and we use to stay at other more expensive hotels. We as many decided to check out lower rate hotels because of finances. We found a safe, clean room for the money and a friendly, helpful staff. We did not hear the 101 freeway noise. The general manager Danny made time to chat with us over coffee in the lobby. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My son is student at Cal Poly and lives with a roommate so me and the wife decided to stay in a hotel for one night to keep the fellows from playing musical chairs. I checked the big travel sites for deals in town, particularly along Monterey Street (main drag, many places to stay) but the rates kept coming up in the $150+ range. I am active duty military so I went directly to some of the sites to see if I could get a discount. Motel 6 North offered military/government rate at $83 so I decided "hey its one night and we just need a place to sleep" so I booked it.

As we drove in we saw the marquee offered the same rate. The night desk guys were friendly enough but you could tell they didn't get many "normal" citizens staying there. The room was tiny, even by Motel 6 standards, and non-smoking meant the ashtray in the room was turned over so a "no-smoking" universal symbol would show. I perceived it to mean "ok, you want a non-smoking room then don't smoke". The room didn't reek of cigarettes but it did smell. No clock, no phone. The bed was caved in the middle so we HAD to cuddle or hang off the edge of the bed. A single battered pillow for each. WHAT A DUMP. Even more of a dump than my son's place and that is saying something. I recommend avoiding this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BugsyMalone
Reviewed June 24, 2007

stayed there for one night on April 2007 while i was driving HWY1 and it was a very nice stop for rest.
i have to say that i was surprised for the big shower and the location is close to all the junk food if you're into it :)

So finally it's a great place to spend the night for the money , but be sure to get there before the night or if you have GPS so it's ok

enjoyed alot :)

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank sgr79
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Stayed here the last weekend in March with young daughter and friend. We checked in early and registration gave us our pick of rooms. I was happy the room was clean and there was no "motel" smell. The light over the sink was not working and they sent someone to fix right away. The next day, they made beds, refreshed towels, but forgot to empty trash.

The motel is right next to the freeway, so if freeway noise bothers you, request a room in the back. The pool was not heated so best to swim while the sun is shining. They do have complimentary coffee in the morning, but no continental breakfast.

For the price, this motel was a bargain compared to other budget motels in the area. We would stay here again if our budget was minimal.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2006

We stayed in this Motel 6 for one night, and we have never stayed in Motel 6 before. Technically, the hotel was OK: the room was clean, everything worked, and the receptionist was polite. However, when we entered the room, we were surprised how every detail says: "cheap". The walls were painted plain yellowish, with no pictures, and at first it felt somewhat depressive, as if we are in some office. After some time we got used to it, though. If this hotel is indeed among the best in the Motel 6 chain, as the previous reviewer suggest, I wonder how the other ones look.

On the good side: as we entered the room, there was constant noise from the bathroom fan in the room below, although the room was unoccupied. We contacted the management, and they immediately solved the problem.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple