“Wouldn't Go Back!”

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield, California
“Wouldn't Go Back!”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The service to check in was very very slow. It took my husband about 20 minutes. A bunch of people who were having a party near our room decided they would have a social gathering right outside our door. We had to walk past everyone smoking and drinking to get to our room and we had our children with us. The walls our very thin, so we would have been listening to these people all night. My husband went up to request another room...and they gladly moved us (took another 20 minutes). The rooms are very dull, which is fine because the price is cheap. But, I could not sleep on these beds! They were soooooo hard, it was like sleeping on the floor! No joke. So, if you do not mind slow service, noicy hotel party scene, and very firm beds....maybe this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Away from the pool, or you will have lots of noise
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sillymummy23boys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have always considered Motel 6 a bare bones but very clean and well run type of budget hotel. My stay there last weekend certainly proved me wrong. I was exhausted after a very long day, went to sleep in my room and had a terrible nights sleep. I awoke frequently but didn't really put it all together until the morning - when I awoke, threw back the covers to find black bed bugs every where and on me. I was horrified. The staff barely apologized. I had to throw away most of my clothes, luggage and have itchy bites all over my body. Do not stay here. If one room is infested I am sure many more are.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank louise111222

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Motel 6 North & South are very close. I took a chance and booked Motel 6 North. Upon check-in, I was very disappointed to learn that only some of the rooms had wi-fi and the charge was $2.99/day. I never encountered this before and since our room was not "wired" we had to go elsewhere to check e-mail. The room was very plain, like a dormitory room. The pillows were lumpy, sheets thin, blankets hard. No Kleenex. It was more basic than other Motel 6's I have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I was stuck here for reasons I care not to discuss, as I'm local. I've been here for 3 hours and have identified 3 different types of bugs. One was a cricket on my bed, then there was a whole crew of little grey-shelled, elliptical shaped, multilegged critters (you know type), some dead and some wandering around aimlessly and one dead bug in a dark corner that I couldn't get a good fix on. It might have been another cricket. Internet access was fair in my room (apparently not the case in other rooms) and was an extra $2.99. There was a pool, but I didn't have my swim suit with me. There used to be a few breakfast places within walking distance, but they are closed. The room was quiet (a little towards the back). I stayed here because it was only 56 dollars. Rooms up on Monterey St. are sometimes triple that. If you can afford it, stay up there as it is a much better location. I'll try the other Motel 6 tomorrow and keep keep you posted.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
California
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was one of the cheapest options in the area, and it is true that you get what you pay for, so we were not expecting anything luxurious. We've stayed in other Motel 6's and this one was average. The bedding was clean but pretty thin, and the room was definitely very cramped with the barest minimum of amenities. They were not even able to supply one extra pillow when we requested that.

Nonetheless, as a cheap one-night place to sleep, it did the job!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
South Weber, Utah
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My friends decided to join us on our wine tour and stayed here at the last minute when we were on our wine tour. The hotel was easy to find, clean, the front desk people were really nice.

If you are interested in the pool be aware that it is closest to the highway so any breeze will make it cool. There is some highway noise so you won't be able to talk without raising your voice.\

Our way to get around this was to "borrow" chairs from the pool area and sit in the parking lot, right outside of our first floor rooms. We were almost in the parking lot but being close to our rooms we were close to the wine and bathrooms. ;)

The hotel personnel didn't get annoyed that we had borrowed chairs from the pool and just let us know that we would have to be done "visiting" by 10, which was the quiet hour. Nicely done.

I think all four of us had a great time and would go back. The rooms were reasonable, all were clean, water pressure was good. Nice place. You will enjoy it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Almere
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Nice location near freeway, but you have to remember that if you are close to the freeway with your room you need earplugs. We had a double room which was the only one available but the beds were really comfortable. The rooms were really clean and the bathroom with the shower was really nice.

The only thing i personally didn't like were the woolen blanket on the bed, this looked dirty which it probably wasn't but it was washed so much that it appeared to be. But i have to say that you can sleep without it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple