“Perfect... until phone rang at 5:00am!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Madonna Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
San Diego
“Perfect... until phone rang at 5:00am!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I stayed one night at the Madonna Inn. We booked the Carin Room, which was charming, spacious, and very private, given that it is located at the very end of the building and is the only room on the 4th floor. We loved the 2 balconies, round layout of the room, fun spiral staircase going up to the room, complimentary champagne for our anniversary and the free parking. Check-in was a breeze and we immediately went down to the pool for a swim. Gorgeous views and very nice families hanging out by the pool. For dinner, we conveniently ate at their steakhouse on site. That evening, they had a fine band playing Frank Sinatra music; it was a fantastic setting since our daughter got a kick out of watching us dance on the dance floor. We visited all the shops and made a stop in the men's restroom downstairs, too, for fun. Everything was glorious, and the evening felt magical... however in the middle of the night, while we were deep asleep, the phone rang and woke us up at 5:00am!! The office was calling to tell us that somebody complained of TV noise coming from our side of the building. We were sound asleep with no TV nor noise coming from us. I was so appalled that they didn't even check or investigate the alleged noise before calling and waking us. So annoying! I told them upon check-out, how shocked I was about that, but the employee simply apologized and didn't do anything about it. The staff seemed a bit inexperienced with customer service when it comes to practical matters like not waking up guests at 5am! If it weren't for that incident, I would have given this 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank SD_gallivant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Turkish first
menifee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

It's an interesting place. A good place to stop and stretch your legs after a long drive. But no thanks to the accomodations or the restaurant. The prices are ridiculous for what you get. Our room was $199. It was the quality of of a Comfort Inn. It was musty, really musty. Almost enough to ask for another room. The bedpreads was oldish, one had a stain, The bathroom seemed to be remodeled and was very clean. Our breakfast was not that great, took forever to get and eggs were cold. We were excited to stay her, but sorely disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank b4nafter
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

I've wanted to stay at this hotel for years, so it was a must-do for me to stay here for one night while on my road trip.
I wasn't disappointed, but maybe it's because I knew what to expect and liked the idea of a kitsch theme hotel! A lot of reviewers seem to have expected a Travel Inn with zebra print bedspreads or something!
We stayed in the Jungle Rock room (the one I had been hoping to get) which was amazing. Rock walls, rock waterfall shower, zebra print and indoor vines fr the ultimate caveman feel. The room was very clean, but felt kind of lived-in rather than 'hotel sterile'.
We ate at the Copper Cafe for lunch, which was so pretty, and the food was good. The famous cake (I had raspberry) was even better than I expected. The lightest, creamiest slice of yum ever! My husband didn't want any, as he's not a sweet tooth, but after trying one bite he helped me demolish my slice pretty quickly!
The pool is very nice, and I spent a while there before dinner. It's even prettier when the lights come on at night. Actually, that's true for the whole place.
The best bit was the Steakhouse. Ok, I didn't like my dinner at all. Dry, flavourless and overpriced. But the restaurant is so gorgeously, beautifully tacky and pink that I didn't care. I drank champagne and ate more cake (pink champagne this time) and was perfectly happy.
I was sorry to leave the next day, it's a gorgeous hotel in a stunning location. I probably wouldn't stay more than a couple of nights, but it's definitely worth going. A total once in a lifetime stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stopped by on our way down to LA from Big Sur. We stayed one night in Room 214 (Victorian Gardens). We didn't know what to expect and didn't know if it was going to be appropriate for kids. But it surpassed our expectations by miles. We loved the room, it was large, very clean, extremely well maintained, and the whole aura was fantastic. It is over the top kitschy in parts, but that is part of the charm. We ate at the Steak House and had fantastic steaks (each was big enough for 1 adult and 1 child to share). The whole place was so surprisingly good. Our only regret is that we didn't get a chance to hang out longer and enjoy the pool. It's a great stop as you're heading down the coast on the way to or back from Big Sur or SF. Really loved it and want to return some day soon!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

The Madonna Inn is a fun place to stay. Each of the 110 rooms has a different theme – and they don’t do things by halves. We stayed for one night in the Jungle Rock room which has rock walls, zebra print beds with trees growing over them and a rock “waterfall” shower. The room was very spacious with two beds and plenty of room besides including a sitting area.
While we were staying here we ate in both the Copper Café and the Gold Rush Steakhouse. The Madonna Inn is famous for its cake and this reputation is well deserved. If you’re in the area, even if you don’t want to stay here, I’d recommend you stop in to the Copper Café and try the cake. You’ve never had anything like it. Dinner in the Gold Rush Steakhouse was, unfortunately, nothing special, although as neither my wife or I eat meat maybe I’m not in a position to review a steakhouse. We had fish, tuna or something similar. Mine was under seasoned, a little over cooked and the sides were kinda bland.
After dinner we went up the hill to the pool. The view from here is fantastic and sitting in the hot tub while the sun went down was a great experience.
To enjoy the Madonna Inn I think you need to get into the spirit of it, there are some negative reviews on here from people who seemed to expect it to be a Travelodge. It’s not. This isn’t a particularly cheap place to stay, although clean the rooms have a lived-in feel rather than being sterile, they charge extra for internet access (which I always find irritating) and you wouldn’t want to stay here a whole week but for a special occasion or if you’re a tourist passing through it’s a brilliant and very different experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed in the Swiss Belle room. The bedspread was very old. Room was small. And you can hear the bed squeeking from the room above us. Very disappointed. The upside was the steakhouse was very good and you must try the pink champagne cake.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islangurl
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

This was our first stay at the Madonna Inn. We had always made a point to visit on road trips to eat in the coffee shop, visit the waterfall urinal in the men's room, and just take pictures, but we had never stayed the night.

For Valentine's day, my husband and I stayed in the Austrian Suite at the Madonna Inn, and we ate in the Steakhouse for Valentine's dinner. The whole experience was really fun. Our suite was on the 4th floor of the inn with two balconies. The room was huge. Everything was great, from the over the top furnishings, to the funky bidet type cleansing system in the toilet.

Our dinner at the steakhouse was wonderful too. The restaurant was really crowded, due to Valentine's Day I'm sure, but the meal was really good. Both my husband and I had the filet and lobster. So yummy. It was $49 per person, and came with salad or soup, baked potato or rice, veggies, bread, and a relish tray of salami, cheese, and veggies that was served before dinner. We also shared the coconut lemon cake.

Overall, we had a really enjoyable experience at the Madonna Inn. Very over the top, but that is what the place is known for. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were friendly. Wonderful Valentine's Day treat.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple