“Great place for solo travelers too”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed December 24, 2009

I've always wanted to stay here, but thought it might be more of a romantic place to stay. But I decided this holiday season to treat myself to stay a night here. So VERY glad I did. I arrived around 2 and checked in. I didn't want to leave my room! It was just so cute and big and inviting...really hard to leave. But I decided to go have a look around the hotel. Visited the shops, and noticed that their wine store does wine tastings. What a great time doing the tastings, lovely shopkeeper. She called the spa and I did a tour of the spa and pool area. Went back to my room to rest up, then headed to the bar for a martini in the early evening. I wanted to have dinner in the restaurant but it was booked solid, so be sure to make reservations!!! Instead I was able to get my steak dinner to go and enjoyed it in my room. Great steak house, highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed December 23, 2009

My Hubby booked us a weekend here for his B-day! WOW! What a fun time we had. We stayed in the Daisy room the first night and the Barrel O Fun suite the second. Very kitzchy but very fun...Enjoyed our first day at the spa so much that I booked us for two more treatments for the following day. The restuarant was great for breakfast. Couldn't say dinner as we went into town. We loved this place so much that we may make this our yearly road trip. The rooms are clean and the service is fab...the area surrounding the place is gorgous...what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovbunni
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I was at a loss for words when we first checked into our room and toured the premises. I just think it's amazing that someone took the time to create this most unusual and fun inn. We stayed here one night on our way to Big Sur. The inn is located right where CA-1 and US-101 meet, so the location is quite convenient for road travelers on their way to northern California.

The check-in process took only a few minutes. We booked a double-room at a rate of $179/night, which was reasonable. The room we received was probably not the most unique out all of the rooms available. It was called 'Bit of Solvang'. It, however, was very clean, and it looked as if we had a brand-new bathroom (considering the inn has been around since the 1950s). I would not describe the bed pillows as the most comfortable ones I have ever experienced, but we were so tired from driving long hours, I slept just fine.

We ate dinner at the inn's Copper Cafe & Coffee Bar, which is adjacent to the inn's more famous Gold Rush Steakhouse. We ordered sandwiches, which were just fine. The decor is what was spectacular. I don't know how to describe it, other than it felt like a grandmother's home on steroids. It was fun to just walk around and see all the crazy details within each area of the inn. Make sure you take a visit to the bathrooms; they were decorated accordingly. There is also free wi-fi in the public areas.

I will definitely try the Madonna Inn again if I every find myself traveling up the Pacific Coast Highway.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Stayed here on a driving trip down the coast from San Fransisco. I had heard much about the themed rooms, and boy they are not kidding. The rooms were just ok, but the restaurant had the best filets we have ever had. Go there to eat.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We stayed in the Madonna Inn on our 20th anniversary. We stayed in the Wiliam Tell room. I was expecting it to smell old, but everything was clean and fresh, although over the top. Half the room was rock wall, the other half a round red wall. Comfortable king size bed had a headboard painted with hearts and apples. The bathroom was very modern - marble counter with 2 sinks, and a cool rock shower (big enough for 2 big people). There was even a flat screen tv on the wall. The steak house restaurant was expensive, but the food was delicious and well worth it. We had a special package that included one night and and couples massage for $350. The massage was fantastic. Make sure you check out the toilets in the spa - heated seats! WooHoo! Too cold to go into the pool, but it looked beautiful, and had a great view of San Luis Obispo. We came up on the train and Madonna Inn has a free shuttle pickup at the station. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, including the restaurants. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We stayed in the Swiss Chalet room which was probably not the most 'fun' in terms of theme but it was huge compared to other hotels that we stayed in on this trip. Unfortunately the reception staff seemed pretty bored (or perhaps we were expecting more enthusiasm from such a quirky hotel) and the food in the restaurant was exceptionally bad and overpriced.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2009

this place is so unique you have to spend the extra money and stay here. We stayed in "Daisy Mae" (A Rock Room) and it was well worth it. The room is completely rock....floor, walls and ceiling as well as the bathroom. Not only is the shower all rock with a waterfall, but the sink is also rock and the water comes out of both sides as waterfalls. Everyone here is so friendly; staff goes out of their way to please you. It was our 30th Anniversary so not only did we find champagne and a balloon in our room, but we were given a balloon and free piece of their out of this world cake at lunch and supper. The pool is very unique as well and has a waterfall up behind it. We had a lot of fun staying here and walking around looking at everything..lots of pink...even the men's bathroom with it's waterfall urinal. The restaurants are very pricey but worth the experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple