“Huge Disappointment”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I'd heard about the Madonna Inn and it really appealed to my sense of eccentricity and kitsch, I was soooooo excited to stay here on the road trip my husband and I were taking from LA to San Fran. We were just staying for one night in the Madonna Suite, the website pics looked fab - all deep pink, roses, a rock fireplace and amazing rock pool bathroom. When we arrived and opened the door OMG the awful thick, musty smell hit me like a hard punch, it smelt like it had been built in the 50s and never been aired or cleaned since. Everything looked dingy and old and the curtains and carpet were dusty and worn - it was hard to sleep as I found the stale thick smell so overwhelming and I woke up with a blocked nose despite our attempts to air the room. It was an expensive suite and I was incredulous it wasn't a health and safety hazard to let people sleep in there. Unfortunately, our suite was the only part of the hotel we went to as we had to be out of there the next morning. I complained to the receptionist but he was quite young and didn't really know how to respond, he gave me $15 off (a hotel tax or something) but I really felt like I should have had a complete refund. I was just so disappointed and annoyed I hadn't slept well. I have never left a bad review before, never needed to, but I felt I had to warn people do not stay in the room named Madonna Suite until they have completely renovated it - it is NOTHING like the website photos.

Room Tip: Not the Madonna Suite!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lessmann
There are newer reviews for Madonna Inn

Reviewed April 16, 2014

OK, anybody who has been here will agree..... YOU MUST VIST Madonna Inn before you die! Have your camera ready.

This place is more then astonishing or amazingly decorated it is probably one of the msot UNIQUE motels / hotels in the WORLD. Just on imagination and design alone it should get 6 stars. Nobody in their right mind can write a bad report about the decoration and design of the motel and its rooms...

We reserved a table in the restaurante, staff were friendly and food was very good. Price was in keeping with the cost of the hotel, which is a little expensive for being stuck in the middle of knowhere.

Live band was playing and people were dancing making it a nice family atmosphere. there were some locals drinking in the bar that seemed to "own it " so we decided not to stop for drinks.

Regardless, the main reason anybody comes to San Luis Obispo, to this motel and is paying $300 A NIGHT is for the rooms. They are incredible.

The negatives:

The Inn in in the middle of knowhere...

The first reason we took a star off is because the rooms are very expensive per night... and a multiple night stay could run up some serious debt. I dont want to say they are not worth it as such.. but consider the costs before booking at $200 -$400 a night. Check the website.

AND... Probably the most hurtful and the second reason we took another star off is beacuse our credit card was charged $60 when we got back home with no reason given by the motel. We called the Inn and was passed from one person to the next but nobody could tell us what we had been charged extra for. We were promissed a call back that never came. All in all the room cost us

$280 - Room $180 - Dinner for 2 $60 - Non explained charge to credit card?

Total = $520 Spent in the Madonna Inn in the 14 hrs we were there in total -

$520 ONE NIGHT STAY!

You decide!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mr_Journey
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you stayed with us on your visit to San Luis Obispo. I wanted to apologize that your inquiry regarding the $60.00 was never resolved. Please email me your information and i will respond my findings to you shortly. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I can't understand the negative reviews. My husband and I stayed in the Mini Maxi room for 2 nights, and the Austrian Suite for 1. We were celebrating our anniversary. Both rooms were great, but the Austrian Suite is amazing - not the way I would decorate, but it was very elegant and fun. The food at the steakhouse is great - I only wish they offered a petite filet, as the steaks are huge. The cakes and pastries are amazing. The pool area is great. Overall, it was a very memorable stay, and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Austrian Suite is well worth the price! Don't bother staying in a cheap room - pick one of...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed here on a Spring break trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco. It was as described, and then some. The kids loved the pool and room. My wife was a little taken aback at the sight of it all, but soon fell in line with the rest of us. If different is not for you, then I would have second thoughts, but if you are up for something new, and have kids, then this is right up your alley.

Room Tip: We stayed in Counrty Gentleman which had separate bedrooms, large sitting area and fireplace. It wo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We booked this hotel after being recommended it by several friends (and random strangers) when we mentioned we'd be passing through SLO. After looking it up online we knew we'd be in for a slightly different experience from normal.

From the obsession with pink - pink robes, pink bar, pink menus and even pink sugar, to the fantastic detail that has gone into designing each area of the hotel and each of the 110 individually themed rooms - this hotel is certainly unique.

The staff were really friendly and helpful, the food is great, the rooms are comfortable and the pool is heated. I thought it was great value for money (having just spent over $300 for a basic boring room in Santa Barbara, this was fun and different without compromising on quality or comfort. Plus our room at the Madonna Inn was only $200 per night).

If you don't like quirky things then this obviously isn't the hotel for you, but the fact that tourists come purely to photograph the men's urinal, proves how fun and successful this hotel is.

Whilst some areas of the hotel look a little dates, this just adds to the charm of it. We booked late so didn't get to choose our room (we literally got the last room). If you have the chance, look though the pictures of all the rooms online as some rooms are better themed than others. In peak season they advise you book a year in advance to get your perfect choice of room. If booking off peak, then try at least 3-4 months. You won't be disappointed (we only booked 3 days before).

It's not far from town (about a mile) and is definitely worth even just a visit if you're passing through but aren't able to stay.

My only negative is that the room we were in was quite old and so the sound insulation wasn't great (hence my rating of 3 out of 5) so make sure you check that your room is better sound proofed!

All in all, it's a fun hotel that doesn't take itself too seriously, with professional staff and service and a unique experience to be enjoyed (and repeated).

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms (i.e. the Rock rooms)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay. We are pleased that you appreciated the small details and enjoyed the experience enough to recommend us!

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Full on kitsch from the themed rooms to the silver and pink dining room and stuffed full of fairy lights and coloured fountains. Piña Coladas by the pool, dance to the house band in the ballroom. This is the most unbelievable overload on your senses and if you are a Brit you wil love the irony of the whole place. Massive fun. On a practical note it is clean, very we'll run and the facilities are excellent .. And PINK!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Located a mile outside San luis Obispo along side the Highway, this hotel defiantly offers an experience. On first sight, it looked out dated, old and ''Kitchey''. We checked in at the lobby were the lady behind the counter was far from friendly which didn't give good first impressions. Hving booked the '' rock'' room we were excited to see what we were in for. Having got to the room, the bed was wet through out. When we contacted reception they upgraded us right away. Drinks and food prices went cheap, overall experience was average to bad.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple