Madonna Inn
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$139
$135
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$179
$174
$173
$159
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$129
$142
$136
San Luis Creek Lodge(San Luis Obispo)
$169
$164
Hotels.com
$150
$134
Agoda.com
Inn at San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)
$85
$80
Priceline
$205
Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$99
$96
1,741 results
All reviewsrock showercopper cafethemed roomsover the topcaveman roomrock wallsmadonna suitegold rush steakhousechampagne cakedifferent themekona rocksky roomheated toilet seatlove nestbucket listfilet mignonmen's bathroom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We were in SLO for a wedding so of course, we had to take the kids to stay at the Madonna Inn. We were a party of six so we requested the 3 bedroom, 2 bath, pick and shovel suite. The entire hotel is very dated. It is fun and unusual but the facility has clearly seen better days. The pool area and gardens are lovely and you could walk/hike the property for a lovely afternoon. The pool is heated so even if it's chilly, it feels wonderful and the spas are great too. The restaurant I'll review separately but in short, it was just okay.

For me, the biggest issue was the sound proofing. We could hear the people next door and consequently couldn't sleep. They were a large party and were drinking and laughing long into the wee hours of morning. They weren't overly rowdy, it's just when you have a large number of people laughing at once, it is loud. Especially when the walls aren't well insulated. When I told the front desk about it, they seemed neither surprised nor concerned.

Because the wedding was at 3 pm, I requested a 2:30 pm check out. I told them we'd be dining in the restaurant before and would like to come back to the room to freshen up before the wedding. We were told there would be an additional $100 for the late check out. I have never been charged that much for such a short period of time. When I reminded the front desk manager we had a miserable, sleepless night, she decided to discount the late checkout but still would not do it as a courtesy. I was surprised and disappointed.

For the property itself, I would have rated the Madonna Inn very good. Even though it's older, it's still so fun and unusual, the charm makes up for the age. Hmmm... I wonder if that's how people describe me. But I digress. So the property itself is very good but the dearth of caring and considerate customer service knocked their score down to average.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Madonna Inn and for your feedback. Your comments have been brought to management's attention and we appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here in late March. Beautiful time of year to be in Central California. The property is awesome, and the inside of this hotel is like if Disneyland and Las Vegas got drunk and had a baby. Photos can't capture the decorating of the rooms or the main building. Floral carpets, pink everything, twinkle lights and a waterfall in the men's room! And the band that plays at night. Every song played like you may have heard on your Dad's record player, from waltz's to Santana. But don't eat dinner here. May have been the worst piece of meat(was supposed to be Tri-tip, which is local in this area)I have ever had. And $82 for lobster? Must be flown in first class. On the plus side, probably one of the nicest pools I've been in. Beautiful location looking over the rolling hills. And everything was very clean. Lets face it, you are going here for the kitsch, and we will be back because of that. It was like being back in time. But we will eat in San Luis Obispo, which has good restraunts and bars, typical for a college town, a couple minutes away.

Room Tip: Our rock room had a deck for the roof. People walking, talking, chairs moving. Actually kind of fit in with the quirky nature of this place. But pretty annoying when trying to sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tom G
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Fun, fun, fun! We loved our fun room full of hidden surprises, and we really enjoyed walking around the hotel grounds, enjoying the storybook-perfect flower gardens and watching the horses at the stable next door. A little pricey for us, but well with the splurge for one night.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Ccjello
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have been to the Madonna Inn twice since we started dating (2012). Both times we've gone were amazing! The rooms best to reserve are rooms that either have a stone fireplace, waterfall / stone shower or a balcony. I recommend the Barrel Of Fun Suite (all three things above included) or one of the stone rooms (Yosemite Rock Room). The Yosemite Rock bathroom was beautiful and covered in rock. The bathroom has a beday / toilet and the seats are heated which pretty much feels amazing in the middle of the night! It's a romantic place for couples. Not to mention their awesome pool and jacuzzis.
Boyfriend loves steak so the Gold Rush Steak House is delicious!
I can't complain about the customer service because we've always had great friendly customer service the times we've gone.
I'm just in love with the place... Heaven.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Belle1988

Thank you for your repeated visits to the Madonna Inn and for your great review! We look forward to welcoming you and your boyfriend back!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just wish we could have afforded to spring for more expensive room. That said, our room was wonderful and overall experience was near perfect. We stayed in the Mount Vernon room. Everything was clean and beautiful. Pool is beautiful, waterfall amazing. The staff are second to none. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple