“Best Alternative Hotel!!!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This is quite simply the best hotel I have ever stayed at. For something completely different that will stay in your mind forever, if you ever happen to be travelling through this area, this is the place to stay. We stayed in the 'Daisy Mae' room, a cave like rock room, complete with rock waterfall shower and sink, amazing. This was part of our honeymoon road trip. The pool and hot tubs are set in the mountain side and so romantic at night after a long day driving on the road. On the short walk back to our room we saw a mountain goat. The staff were so helpful and the cookie's at the bakery shop are the best we have ever tasted. We were sad to leave after only 1 night stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sttp

Reviewed August 15, 2008

Now, some folk seem not to like this place. We thought is was great. Not being able to pick a room, (go to their website, you will see what I mean) I booked through Expedia, so it was allocated on arrival. The experiance starts on arrival. Top tip, if arriving by car is to drive up to reception, and park under the canopy, (there is plenty of room), as you tend to drive to the rooms. The check instaff were good, very efficient, fast and polite. The room was great. The restaurant has to be seen to be belived. I had the second bast steak I have ever eaten. Please push the boat out amd have the fillet steak, yes it is expensive by US standards, but just convert to sterling and enjoy! The only real fault we could find was the room service staff were over eager to get in to service the room on check out, though you don't have to be out until 12 (I think). Yes, it is expensive, but you have to do it once, maybe twice!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roaming_Accountant
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We have only recently stopped smiling 3 weeks after leaving the Madonna Inn.

I booked way in advance to get the cave room, Jungle Rocks. As you walk in you can't help but laugh. The room is very large but it's the walk in rock shower that makes this room.

The dinner was equally bizarre. A very pink dining room with a whole cross section of diners (I'm sure some were from the Adams Family), music, dancing, surprisingly good food and a hysterical dessert (do people really eat those cakes!)

One night as a family stop over is certainly recommended

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Jesuisunfamilyman
Reviewed August 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I went to the Madonna Inn for our 3-year anniversary for a little adventure. We are a young couple, 21 and 22, but were willing to dish out some cash for our anniversary. The hotel was magical looking, from the huge rock fireplace and sitting area, to the fantasy-full pink rose dining Steakhouse room (with amazing food) and our room, ROCK BOTTOM, exceeding all expectations!

Upon arrival we were greeted with several horses frolicking in a field, including a couple baby ones. so cute. Then when we checked in, the guy behind the counter was very nice, and he even suggested a better room for us, since I still was having trouble deciding which one I wanted. He recommended "rock bottom" which BLEW ME AWAY! I am relatively wealthy and have stayed at many top hotels......but wow....nothing has ever been like the Madonna Inn. Its not just a hotel, it's an experience!!!! Brand new flat screen tv, awesome and sexy rock waterfall shower (it really is like an actual waterfall....I think we took 4 showers in 2 days) with lovely stained glass and a crazy looking couch and candleabra that made me feel like i was in an ancient castle. It was a true fairytale.
After check in, we decided to go for a swim. I forgot my suit, so we went to the the hotel's store which is stocked with clothes, gifts, etc (i love the cake soap they had in our bathroom, so i bought some to take home). But it was sooooooo overpriced and expensive for most things. A weird grandma looking bathing suit cost $80, so we opted to drive 1 block to Mervyns and get cheap ones. Off to the pool we went!! AMAZING VIEWS, perfect temperature water and weather, so romantic being around that scenery and mountainage. We then went to the relaxing and private jacuzzi, surrounded by rocks. .......

After swimming, we had dinner at the steakhouse. We had reservations and they seated us right away. But to be honest, I was disappointed with our table. I really wanted to be in one of those big pink booths, not a regular table. So my boyfriend got up and asked the hostess if we could get one, and they set one up right away no questions asked, and were very kind and gracious to us. We FEASTED on amazing steak followed by ridiculously delicious pink champagne cake, then hit the bar.

Being so full, I thought we should try to work off some dinner. Fortunately, live music was being performed and about 80 people were dancing and having a great time on the dance floor. Most of them were over the age of 70, so my boyfriend and I stuck out like sore thumbs!!! But honestly, it was fun. We even made friends with some old people, most of whom were regulars on their date nite. They were very lively, they were able to keep dancing long after we pooped out! I was a little drunk and needed bottled water, but there was none in the room. Fortunately, they sold bottles by the front desk, which helped!

Then, back to the room for bed. very comfy, quiet, and overall relaxing 2 days. the hotel is beautiful, surrounded by green ranches and huge mountains, and clear blue sky. I highly recommend it to all......otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to write all this.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank pzandi
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the "Carin" room. All pink with Cupid Lamps and 2 balcony's. Bathroom was dated - it looks like they are renovating now, so maybe it was last on the list to be updated. The room was average, but the overall hotel is very neat.

The steakhouse is pink everywhere and surprisingly very good food and service, we were pleasantly surprised by the price as well. The cafe is decent food with lesser service, but overall very good.

The pool is very nice, comfortable, great views. The spa was nice, larger than it looks, but very overpriced (same prices as high end spas without the amenities of a high end spa). Our massages were both good, but with a full body massage - I expect my legs and feet to be taken care of - maybe I didn't ask enough questions beforehand.

Overall very good experience - would go back again for one of the "cave rooms" with a rock shower. Not really worth a trip for the "regular" rooms.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvs2travelmel
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed for one night with my parents at the Madonna Inn. We had the Vintage Room and my parents had the Lucky Rock room.

The Vintage room was very nice. It looked newly decorated. It was quite large, had a very large bathroom and a nice patio with a fireplace. I have read a lot about the "front desk service". We also ran into some snooty comments. We wanted to share a bottle of wine on our patio and fireplace with my parents. But they only had two chairs on the patio. So I called the front desk and asked them if they could deliver 2 folding chairs to our room. They said that they "don't have folding chairs" for the rooms. What? Aren't you also a convention center? Don't you do weddings? Are you telling me that you don't have any folding chairs? So I told him that if that was the case, that we would "move the couch out to the patio". Suddenly his mood changed and he said that he would deliver two chairs. Turns out the chairs did show up but after one hour!

The Lucky Rock room was medium sized but had two large rock walls. The room included a full rock bathroom and shower. My parents said that the shower was awesome. My mother said the shower was like "being in a rainforest". The bed was a little lumpy though.

By far, the best amenity was the pool. We spent the afternoon by the pool and spa and it was beautiful.

We had breakfast in the cafe and the service and food was good.

Would we go back? Yes, maybe.... If we have time to spend by the pool, then we would go back because it is a beautiful pool. But to just stay late at night it is a little too pricey for "the "experience".

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank OpusTheCat
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This has to be the most bizzare and fun places to stay. Kitch just does not cover it! We stayed in the 'Barrell of Fun' room, it was great. The fireplace is massive, the rock shower is great and the bed was very comfortable. I would recommend you stay here once in your lifetime. The place is full of pink leather, gold cherubs and roses. It is a bit pricy but worth it for the fun. The pool area is great, a welcome break from the road.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank healysa