“Serious or not?”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hard to say whether this place is taking itself seriously or not. It's like not quite kitschy enough to tell you it's not taking itself seriously, but it's got enough 'Liberace' that it's kind of gaudy. We stayed in the 'Swiss Rock' room. I kept telling my wife it's time to go back to the cave. Or the dungeon. Rock shower was neat, but rock walls and floor made it dark (although thankfully not dank!) Best part of this hotel is the pool--very nice quality, and great to go in at 8am when no kids are screaming. Restaurants are overpriced (esp. the steakhouse), but the cake is awesome. We found some phenomenal restaurants in SLO (and 1/3 the price). "Gift shop", wine shop, and clothes shops have normal crap for higher prices. I felt sorry for all the hotties that work there...long faces, wanting to help people, but nobody's buying anything. what a yucky life.

We always drive by and wonder about this place. Now we've tried it, and don't need to wonder anymore. And doubt we'll spend the (considerable) money for a quick stopover in SLO again...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BimBam976
There are newer reviews for Madonna Inn

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed for two nights in the oriental room. Expensive for what it is but great fun and a unique experience. I would however recommended the town of San Luis obisbo it's very pretty and loads of lovely eateries. A trip to Hearst castle is also highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireTwig
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed in the 'Cabin Still' room - it was fun for one night but wouldn't have wanted to stay longer, it was very dark and a bit oppressive with all the dark furniture and rock walls, not the best nights sleep.
You have to check out the bar and restaurant, I've never seen anything like it, very funny. The food in the restaurant was very good too and some nice background 'lounge' music. Pool area very nice with bar, pool was 80 degrees. Friendly reception staff, you get free cookies at checkin. Handy that you can drive up to your oom and park outside. I'd stay again but would want a different room. If it wasn't for the novelty factor I'd have given it a 3.5 rating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Madonna Inn falls near the top of the "California Kitsch" category of attractions. Yes, it is an attraction, not just a hotel. Like Disneyland, it is a place where you put reality away and enter a land that is so make-believe and kitschy that it makes you laugh and, somehow, brightens your day. I suggest a one-night MAXIMUM stay, as the attraction does wear thin after a few hours (and it's not like there is tons to do in the immediate area).

I chose to stay in "The Old World Suite," one of the more over-the-top "cave rooms," complete with gas fireplace and rock shower. It was a fun room, if somewhat gloomy due to its location in somewhat of a sub-basement of the hotel, and lack of much natural light. The OTT furniture and rich red-velvet decor - like something great-great-aunt Mabel might have had in her living room - added to the somewhat creepy, unreal feeling. Again, for a night - very cool; by the morning I couldn't wait to get out of the "cave" and into sunlight!

Price, as you would imagine, is on the high side - you don't stay here because it's a bargain. Service and amenities were fine. Everything in the room worked. I had a very nice meal at the steakhouse for dinner (see separate review) and breakfast in the morning at the coffee shop, which was fine.

Overall, a nice experience - and definitely one of those "California Experiences" that one who lives in the state, or visits the state often, needs to check off his or her list!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for one of the "cave rooms" with rock shower, as they are the mos...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here, on a stop over from San Fran to LA.
I'd read the reviews, and wanted to stay to see the rooms and the decor.
Well, it was fine. Not bad or anything. Since booking the really neat rooms was so expensive, I settled for "Antique Cars". The room itself was large, with couch, two DBL beds, and a very modern (to my surprise) bathroom with large shower and double tub sinks.
The restaurant had a nice extensive menu, so it was perfect for families with kids. I also had steak for dinner. Dinner quite expensive, though--more than I thought it should be.
In the end, I admitted that I was paying for the charm of this place, and I don't really have any regrets. I was on vacation, after all.

Room Tip: You'll have to pay much more to get the funky, decorated rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marketeer_Mik
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your vacation from San Francisco to Los Angeles. We appreciate your business and hope you will consider us again next time you vacation in the area!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Madonna Inn on a couple of occasions but my last trip which was March 21-23, 2013 was the WORST stay I have had. The room which was the Mardi Gras Room was so dark and dreary that with every light on you still could not see your items in the suit cases. There was no blow dryer which the front desk denied that there was one there. Had to call front desk twice to receive a blow dryer for which I was attending a wedding. The beds were too soft and bumpy. Front desk personnel were okay but didn't offer any assistance. Masks were falling off the wall. Took my telephone number to have a supervisor call me but that hasn't happened yet. They just want your money and for you to leave. The wedding which I'm referring to had several people staying there and all had issues about their rooms. Our room is a depressing room and anyone with anxiety problems shouldn't stay in this room. The shower head was so high you couldn't reach it and the water pressure was lousy. I definitely would not recommend this hotel any longer. Don't waste your money. You are better off at the Embassy Suites. There are to be no private parties in the rooms but we had people parting outside our room until 3 AM. What a dump this place has turned into. Not what it used to be. Has gone downhill. Don't waste your money on a room here just go to the bakery and restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank pat r
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome and certainly lived to the hype we had read. We stayed in the Crystal room. Which as the name suggests had faux crystal chandeliers everywhere and garishly decorated. The pool was great. Perfect temperature for lie about in with nice libation or two! Then off for dinner which was an experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Red and pink over the top decor everywhere. Fantastic meal followed by some dancing with my daughters to the excellent Glenn Miller type band. A big thanks must go to the staff who were both very sociable and adept at what they did. . It's just a shame we only stayed the one night but if I'm ever near here again it will be a place to splash out on again.

Go on your worth it!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

This review is the reason Madonna Inn considers itself such a family tradition. I am so pleased that you have such great memories here. Reading that you and your daughters danced together to the band gave me a big smile! Looking forward to seeing you and your family here again in the future!