“Jungle Rock... Rocked” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Jungle Rock... Rocked”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

The Madonna Inn is Tacky [said previously] or I would prefer to describe it as Kitch but its definately Great Fun!
it isn't 5* but dosn't profess to be. Some areas may be a little tired but that's all part of the charm. The eateries are fine, cakes & gateaux a work of art. The steak restaurant has to be seen to be believed and is ...well ... PINK & over the top, but the steaks are excellent.
My husband, son & I stayed in the Jungle Rock Room which we had requested when we booked some months before. The waterfall showers are novel !!!
Location wise - for us it broke our journey from San Francisco to Santa Barbara & we visited Hearst Castle. San Luis Obispo has a nice atmosphere & we were lucky to be there on a Thursday for the Evening Street Market, which is worth a look.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank berverlee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Turkish first
Powell Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

This place is a hoot! We stayed in the Sky room. It had plenty of room for the two teens, my husband and myself. The rooms were quirky. We had a wonderful little terrace outside the room, overlooking the hills and and the parking lot. The restaurants were great - definately recommend eating at the main restaurant and having a piece of their wonderful cake. We'd do this all over again.

• Liked — It was different
  • Disliked — Many of the rooms required visitors to climb stairs for access
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank beachbrain
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

I live in the area and our class reunion was at the Inn. I stayed in the Kona Rock room, it had its own fireplace and they provided wood for the fire. the room was spacious and had a full sized couch. I really enjoyed my stay and the new pool is beautiful (spa is not fully complete). The reunion event was fantastic, they served over 200 people and my Filet Mignon was wonderful, I cut it with a butter knife. Impressive considering the meal was prepared in mass. They also have a terriffic bakery with wonderful home baked goods wich I already knew about (Black Forest cakes from the Madonna Inn are common treats for special occasions amongst locals).

• Liked — unique
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank elvis247
Santa Monica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

The Madonna Inn is everything tacky and fun. I had wanted to stay there a long time. One mistake, I booked through expedia using points. Don't do that. We had the romance room, which was large, blue and decorated, but I really wanted a rock room. Apparently those book a year in advance! Next time I will book directly through the hotel. The staff was great, and we had a delicious breakfast. Also, we checked out the pool and the hottub. They are really nice! Enjoy!

• Liked — The fun atmosphere
  • Disliked — The bed and the towells. You go for the fun, not the amenities!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmoSantaMonica
York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

Madonna Inn, I always promised myself to come back when I can afford the stay there. 17 years later we returned with our 3 year old son to stay in the "cave man's room".
The room was fun and most items well integrated, apart from the coffee maker and iron & board which seemed to be completely out of place. Up to that point everything was great, we turned on the waterfall in the room and enjoyed the atmosphere. We decided to dine in the Restaurant and went across to the main part of the Hotel. Dinner was very disappointing, more service station like, not the quality of food I was expecting. Never mind, at that time we thought, okay but not to be repeated. When we returned to our room the guest in the next door room told us that Reception was looking for us. Next we had a voice mail message to contact reception, so we did. When contacting Reception they accused us that we have been smoking in our room and that there have been complaints. I tried to ensure the gentleman that we are both non smokers and have been for the last 2 hours in the restaurant. I even contacted the Restaurant Manager on the night to confirm this. He was not having any of this.....
My husband then went across to reception to talk to the gentleman to clarify the situation, but again the chap started to argue, did not want to retract his accusitions against us. He did not give us his name or the name of a manager whom we could speak to. You can imagine that we have been very upset and we did not enjoy our night.
Next day at breakfast I tried to bring my point accross to the Breakfast Manager. A nice lady who listened to us and invited us for the breakfast. She was very nice, but not empathetic. Clearly not a good recovery strategy. Would I go back, clearly not, would I recommend it, never!
Nevertheless the Hotel is a fantastic business idea and a must see, but the Family is clearly not managing this property with the pride it deserves to be managed as it is truly unique!

• Liked — The unique rooms
  • Disliked — Service and food
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Hoffeld
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

This hotel is just one of a kind and has to be experienced. We stayed one night in the Caveman room and it was quite different from anything else I have ever seen. The whole room including the bathroom is decorated as a cave and the shower is made to resemble a waterfall. The hotel restaurant is a steakhouse that is completly pink. Ugly as hell, but worth it just for the experiance. The food however, is just average.
We chose this hotel after reading about it in a Norwegian newspaper. It was described as "as far as you can come from every day life" and I would say that this description could not have been more aqurate.

• Liked — The Caveman Room and the originality of it all
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank loves-to-travel76
south florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

The most important thing you need to know about this hotel is how gaudy and tacky this place is. If you are warned, and ready for this going into your stay, you will love it. If you are expecting 5 star treatment, you'll be disappointed.
I booked the Caveman room. It is not a huge room, but it is comfortable and definitely lives up to it's name. The picture I saw online was outdated. It showed an old black and white tv-so I was surprised to see a flat screen and dvd player in room once we got there.
The hightest point was definitely the shower, it is literally a waterfall that makes a huge mess because there's no door, but it's fun - and it fits 2 ;) Overall, the room was fabulous, with small details that added alot to the room. The bed was comfy, the room clean, and good service. Everyone that I came into contact with that worked there was nice.
The bedroom even had a little mock waterfall that we kept running all night long. They have a pool, work out room, and looked like they were working on a spa area. Too bad we didn't bring our bathingsuites, the pool is even heated. And they have a huge waterfall right near the pool area.
If you're looking for an exreme experience, I say stay here. We were on our way to SF, so just stopped here for the night. I have no idea if there is alot to do near the hotel, but there is so much detail in and around the property, that it suited us just to enjoy the scenery.
The only negative, if any, was the fact that I could hear the highway traffic. That surprised me b/c we seemed far away from the road, but when the tv was on, or the waterfall was running, I couldn't hear it at all.
The color pink was everywhere! The entire hotel was a design nightmare, but that's what made it work! If you're looking for a funky room that you want to spend a fun night in, this is the right place!

• Liked — Bathroom was fun and cheesy
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank kost44