“Over the top fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
“Over the top fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is the most fun hotel I have ever stayed in!

Over the top wild rooms that include rock waterfall showers and green shag carpet.

This is NOT the Marriott. You must be ready for tongue-in-cheek fashion.

Every room is worth staying in! Clean, comfortable and full of sass.

Perfect for a married couple get away without the kids!

Oh, and SLO was a great town to visit too!

Room Tip: We had the Gypsy Rock room. Great, but they are all great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed here before but dont remember the prices being so steep. And $15 RESORT fee - for what?

Upmarket prices for unique room decor, all kitsch
Reception gave us poor directions to room, so after struggling up and down flights of stairs with heavy bags after a long drive a bellboy finally told us we had to use another stairwell...but they did send up a complimentary bottle of bubbly as an apology - unfortunately they put the wrong name on it!
Meal was very reasonably priced as we decided to split a prime rib dinner between 2.
Pool warm and hot spa
Quiet, huge room. Hard towels. All conveniences but poor power point access
Great linen comfy bed

Travelled as a (mature age Australian) couple for all of August 2012 throughout California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and into Colorado by car. Generally did not book ahead, prefer to have freedom to linger as we please, and to actually see the room before we commit. Have travelled this way many times before in USA and Europe. Stayed at a variety of hotels and B+Bs from 1 to 4 star. In busy areas (San Francisco) we booked in advance from Tripadviser reviews.

Room Tip: they are all different - look at the pics..but ask about ease of access
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was in SLO for a weekend conference and looked forward to staying at the Madonna Inn. I previously stayed their a few years ago.

On this trip I was disappointed from beginning to end.

At check-in the woman never looked at me, but, made sure I initialed their extensive list of Do Not Dos.

The Inn now charges a Resort Fee of $15 per night. For this, I was entitled to television reception that was fuzzy, a bottle of tap water, and wireless Internet in the Cafe. There was an Ethernet cable in the room, but it only works if your computer device has an Ethernet jack. You also receive access to a pool and an outdated workout area.

The towels were thinner than Best Western. The bed was one step above a roll-away.

Room 202, at the top of the hill, instead of being labeled a 'cute' name, should be labeled, "The room with the most freeway noise blasting through the windows.'

Speaking of no sound proofing, you hear the people in the room above you walking back and forth, plus, other sounds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bigbasin
Seekonk, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

When telling friends we were spending our vacation driving down the PCH from Napa to Pismo Beach almost everyone who had ever done that said "you have to stay at the Madonna Inn"....so we took their advice.
We stayed at 8 different hotels on our adventure and the Madonna Inn was by far my favorite.

We booked the Kona Rock room directly with the hotel because I wanted a rock bath and "cave" experience.

The room is really cool, with a large fireplace and rock covered walls you really feel like you're in a cave. The bathroom was my favorite...everything is made of rock including the sinks. The toilet is pretty darn cool as well....let's just say I have never used one quite like it before! I won't ruin the surprise. lol

We loved the pool/hot tubs...the setting was well planned and beautiful.

We had dinner at the steak house and although a bit pricey my filet mignon and my husband's prime rib was well prepared and very high quality. My only complaint was the baked potato was so laden with butter and sourcream that it was "soupy", and inedible. We showed the waitress and her response was that she would "let them know". lol Oh well, not worth getting worked up about.

We ate breakfast (egg white omelet) the next morning at the Copper cafe....excellent!

Ladies, when visiting the main building you really need to check out the men's bathroom in the basement. Have your significant other check to be sure that it's unoccupied and than have him "demonstrate" the rock wall urinal! That's all I'm telling you....it's worth the visit. :0)

I really can't think of anything else to say that hasn't already been said except I highly recommend you try the inn because it will be an experience like you've never had before!

1 Thank dkelly27
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for including the historic Madonna Inn in your California Pacific Highway adventure! It sounds as if you had the complete inn experience with the inclusion of our hotel, restaurants and our popular restrooms! I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you had such a great time here. We appreciate the time you spent with us and hope to welcome you back in the future!
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Well, my wonderful wife is perhaps a Material Girl, or one that likes fine things. She loved this place more than anywhere we went...We have just got back to England after our two week adventure in California and the Madonna Inn was one of the highlights. We had Romance, - that's a room, not an activity, and it was fantastic! And so was the room! We had a rock shower and a loo that jetted your bum with laser accuracy, my theory is that they must control it via a mini camera from the front desk. Pool and hot tub just great. Restaurant is pink, very pink, and how much fun was it it? We had the filet mignon - don't miss it. That was the best meal we had in the States and we ate in some swanky places, I can tell you! I actually got up for a run at 6am and went along the cycle path into the mountains, just a wonderful location. Oh, and while you are there chaps, somehow, anyhow, make the 15 minute drive to Pismo Beach. Pay your $5 and drive on to the beach and head left for two miles. There will find heaven. Beach buggies and a 20 mile long sand pit. Exclude this at your peril and have a great time.

Thank you Madonna Inn, you exceeded our expectations!

Room Tip: Oh man too many to choose from
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
It sounds like you and your wife had an excellent vacation and we're honored that the Madonna Inn was such a positive part of your trip to California! Thank you very much for sharing this great experience!
Seekonk, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in one of the ROCK/CAVE type rooms and really enjoyed the uniqueness, especially in the bathroom. The overall setting is very nice as the hotel sits adjacent to a ranch. The pool area is up a hill and offers a very nice hot tub as well as an infinity pool. Good but over-priced restaurants offer good food but only average service. Overall I thought the price was high, but was a treat nonetheless.

Room Tip: Rock style rooms are cool
Soledad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was a once in a lifetime stay for my wife and I. I really expected more for the room rate, nevertheless, it was something different. Did run into an issue with a spider nest in the shower towels (Mother Nature), unfortunately my wife was not a happy camper, and if momma s not happy, no one's happy (if you know what I mean). The management was quick to respond to our aide, and very apologetic by the way. Regardless, of our not so impressed stay, I would recommend this place to friends and family, I would just tell them to stay away from this particular room.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room close to the ice machine, too noisy.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking your time to write about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your being so understanding about mother nature's influence however I am disappointed to hear we were unable exceed your expectations. The fact that you would still recommend us to your friends and family means a lot to us though and I'm hoping you will give us another opportunity in the future.