“Awesome experience, you should stay here at least once!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed in the Golf Suite, had a cute cobblestone path leading from the front door, to the back patio w/fireplace! The bed could have been more comfortable but the decor, fireplace, and generous space made up for it. Had super comfy robes we sat by the fire in!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is so different, really loved the vibe - our room (Love Rocks) was great, the outdoor pool was really nice, the bar and dining room decoration really fun. The only drawbacks were 1) the staff really didn't seem to love working there (especially in the dining room) or had to work off scripts (I asked two servers what their fave dishes were and both replied with EXACTLY the same answers 2) the food in the dining room wasn't great and 3) a coffee cost a fortune and was possibly the worst I've had in a long time. Having said all that really glad we went .... just wouldn't eat there again but highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jo D
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Based on some other reviews, I had very low expectations for this place, but it was surprisingly nice. We stayed in Old Mexico, which (other than some creepy paintings of what appear to be large-eyed Mexican children) was probably less kitschy than some of the others. The room was very clean and spacious, and the floors were nice tiles (the rooms all covered in carpeting looked kind of gross - we peeked in some windows). We had a two-bedroom with one king and one queen; it had a large bathroom with shower and sink (and weird heated toilet/bidet combo) with a separate bathroom with a sink. We stopped in the restaurant/bakery to get some dessert, but passed because nothing at the dessert counter looked good, and the display cases actually seemed to be falling apart. The restauarant in general was quite garish, although I did like the multicolored imitation milk glass water goblets. The pool was fun - great view and nice and warm, so we spent a good amount of time there and in the hot tub in the evening after dinner. The cozy sweater-knit bathrobes in the room were a nice touch to wear to the pool - not quite right for after shower, but perfect for throwing on over a swimsuit (and almost made me forget the dire warnings that I would be charged $30 if I failed to return the pool towels to my room!)

The town of San Luis Obispo is wonderful. Charming little college town with tons of restaurants, shops, etc. A lot of the coffee shops seemed to close early. We ate at Big Sky Cafe, which was amazing (my vegetarian pozole, cornbread muffins and Santa Barbara rose was my favorite meal of this trip), but we also passed about 20 other places I would have loved to try. Alas, we were only in town one night.

3  Thank Heather H
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Madonna Inn. What an institution. Definitely a one-of-a-kind experience.

Some rooms are more interesting than others. We had a choice of rooms and chose Showboat, as we wanted something convenient for our two kids. The room really didn't stand out in any particular way, as it looked more old than eclectic. Overall amenities were nice, but I wouldn't call it a "resort", partly due to the constant sound of traffic coming from Highway 101 and expanses of asphalt covering the expansive grounds. Also, the party staying in the next room came back to their room at midnight. I could clearly hear their conversation, which sounded like dialog taking place at a normal tone of voice. Was it the connecting room door? I don't know, but a little disappointing.

On the other hand, the beautiful newer pool and spa definitely give the place an upscale feel. The location is convenient to downtown San Luis Obispo. A planned bike path should only make access to downtown even better.

We ate lunch at the cafe and enjoyed the service and quality food. I would call it pricey, not unlike what you'd see at a typical full-service hotel, except this place feels like a family restaurant. Try downtown San Luis Obispo instead. Do try the cakes. Definitely amazing.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but at $200 per night, it's a bit pricey (some rooms are less, some are more). I would certainly try to find a better price next time. If you've never stayed there before, you owe it to yourself to stay there once in your lifetime.

Room Tip: Pick a crazy room for fun!
1  Thank bostnwhalr
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This place is fantastic! Every part of the property is a visual feast. We stayed in the Jungle Rock room. I'd like to come back again and again to stay in all the different rooms. The food was great, the in-house shops were great. We really enjoyed our stay. If you're boring and conservative you might not like this place, but if you have a sense of style and fun, then it's definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: all the rooms have different themes, so browse through them on the website before you book and reque...
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had a wonderful time, wonderful food, wonderful spa and cool rooms. I say 'rooms' because I made a mistake and didn't make the reservation for as long as we were staying. DOH! The folks there packed up our room while we were sightseeing (did a wonderful job of it) and had our stuff at the lobby. Then were able to give us another VERY cool room so we got to say in two rooms.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

When we arrived at the Madonna Inn I felt like I was visiting the Bates Motel Home Makeover Edition. Each room has it's own type of decor, ranging from hot pink to George Washington's era to psychadellic blue. All I can say is that it is the funkiest place I've ever stayed in. It's almost like you are on the set of a movie made in the 60's. The dining area has colored chandeliers, gawdy over the top decor and over priced, mediocre quality food. The ballroom had swing dancing music. It is a totally out of this era experience that you have to see to believe. Across the street you will find an Applebee's, Panera Bread and a Pancake House. The distance of the hotel is about the half way mark from San Fransico to Los Angeles.

1  Thank GTheo