“What a quirky hotel!”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Monterey, California
“What a quirky hotel!”
Reviewed December 11, 2007

If you're looking for a fun and unusual place to stay, this is it!! With quirky rooms and a great restaurant, you can't go wrong.
My wife surprised my and we stayed in the Daisy Mae room. What a great room with a water fall shower and huge shell sink. The overall experience was fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel, just watch out for the rocks in the wall.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luck76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Turkish first
Ventura, California
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the return trip from Big Sur. I had been wanting to stay at the property since a road trip that took me past it seven years ago. The stop wasn't originally on our trip plan, but I am so happy that we stopped. We had the Old Fashioned Room. I picked this one from the choices we were given because I thought it would be antique cars or something more maculine than the others- I wanted my boyfriend to enjoy the experience too.

Imagine our surprise when we walked into a completely pink room accentuated with roses. The ceiling was even pink with sparkles. The bathroom was huge and pink with so much attention to detail that there were even floweres painted inside of the toilet bowl. It was all so over the top that I fell in love at first sight. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. And, despite all of the pink, my boyfriend was happy because I was so happy. The room was absolutely huge and came with a pink ice bucket, pink robes, and fun toiletries.

The building where we stayed was four stories with crazy spiral staircases and very ornate latticework. The pool was beautiful, with gorgeous views and the fitness room is brand new.

We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was fabulous. The steaks were excellent and the service was top notch. I really couldn't be happier with our stay.

If you are looking for a 4 star Hilton or Hyatt type hotel, this is not for you. The room we stayed in was a bit worn and definately not for the conservative traveller. But if you are open to novelty and pink ceilings (or blue, or green, or stone) this may be the place for you!

• Liked — Fabulous, over the top decor
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stace120
N.IRELAND
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Great hotel, friendly helpful staff. Excellent restaurant, coffee shop and bar food.
Only regret was only stayed overnight , will definetely stay here when am back in california.
Would recommend it and this is one hotel were you want to swap rooms for good reasons with all the themed rooms, I stayed in the daisy mae room with its stone floor and waterfall showers really liked it.

As some were I picked as it was roughly half way between San Francisco and LA I was seriously tempted to delay my onward travel to LA to stay a few extra days in this great hotel.

• Liked — Local friendly staff , great vibe
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2007

The Madonna inn was the second hotel on our road trip from San Francisco to Key West and it was ok. The room we had was called the hideaway which indeed it was. At the lowest level the room was brightly colored but only had 2 high level windows which looked out over the car park.
I will say I went to the loo at 3am and the room was pitch black and felt a little enclosed but it was ok. Our major disappointment was the restaurant; we ordered a bottle of Champagne as a treat to really start the trip at $70 not our normal tipple I promise you at that price. It came up not really cold enough and with no ice bucket, we asked a number of times but still never got one. We both decided on the Fillet Mignon and sat back listening to the orchestra playing some really good tunes and really enjoying ourselves when the problems started. My steak was bloody (I asked for Medium Well) and totally tasteless for around $44 I hoped for better, but then a disco started below us in a function room and we couldn’t hear the band playing and the floor was vibrating quite a bit I told the server about this and she called the Manager who said to me she has asked them to turn it down but they wont?????. At this point I had enough and asked for my bill and just paid for the now warm champagne. The Manager told me she was sorry and gave us a carry out pudding which was very nice we had it in our room and another bottle of wine not so nice. I’m sure if we had received better treatment in the restaurant I would have rated our stay higher. The pool area is great however and the views sitting in the hot tubs of the mountains are rather special. I have written to the hotel about our problem and received a nice reply. Would we stay here again???? Yes in another room and ask the restaurant if there is a function going on before we booked a table.

• Liked — The building was really nice
  • Disliked — the Food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
california
Reviewed October 9, 2007

we had a splendid time at the madonna inn. we stayed in the rockbottom room and also at the yahoo room, which was our favorite. the decor is western style and it was obvious that much thought went into decorating the room. all rooms are individually themed which is such a great idea. we loved it there and would go back at the drop of a hat. the desserts were amazing. the cakes are so moist & wonderful. we didn't have time to try out the newly built infinity pool but that is on our list the next time we go there. highly recommend it!

• Liked — themed rooms
  • Disliked — can't think of anything negative
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 7, 2007

This is the strangest place I have ever stayed. We stayed for 2 nights in the Mattahorn room and it was huge. It was very clean and we had a lovely balcony overlooking the hills. We had dinner at their restaurant one evening. The food was good but the decor was something else - a candyfloss nightmare! You have to stay here at least one night to believe it.

Stayed September 2007
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I highly recommend this hotel, if you are up for a laugh and something different. Its cheesy, tacky, over the top and it makes no apologies for it. Seven of us stayed in the Harvard Square which fitted us all in very comfortably. Its not the most outrageous of their rooms, and if i went back again I would go for one of the more crazy rooms, like Jungle Rock. The steak house is worth a visit for its decor, there moto must be 'You can never have enough pink'! Look out for the swinging doll in the reception, its enough to give you nightmares.
Overall if you want something different and fun then go here, but if your wanting a boring hotel room then avoid.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends