Interesting, fun property with some good amenities and friendly staff but tiring rooms, some of which are significantly better than others - choose wisely. Some people will find it tacky and pricey; others will have a hoot in this one-of-a-kind place.
- Overall, given the kitsch and landmark status of this place, it could be on cruise control and not care at all anymore. But we found that they're still trying, for the most part.
- The newer pool/spa area is exceptional, with a graduated entry to the main heated infinity pool, a couple nice hot tubs, a surprisingly attractive manmade waterfall/bridge/gazebo area, and a good-sized, well-equipped fitness room. Our first time here was short, and on a second visit, we'd focus on these amenities.
- Good lobster dinner and timely service at their steakhouse on Christmas Eve, despite being one of their busiest meals of the year. Plus, they waived corkage for our special occasion.
- During our painstaking room selection process, we've encountered a surprising amount of patience when grilling the staff by phone on what rooms are best, which have the best views/features, etc. (although their web site does a fair job as well). They are clearly trained to tolerate lots of questions on this front, while remaining friendly.
- We were presented with free sparkling wine to celebrate our special occasion.
- Parking near our room was easy.
- Views of the surrounding hills and pastureland are nice.
- The location is well situated for trips to wine country and/or Hearst Castle.
- The rock waterfall shower was fun.
- We were disappointed by our room, Swiss Belle. The room seemed tired, in need of some updates.
- We slept terribly. The AC unit in the room made inconsistent noises, regardless which of the various settings we tried. After turning it off, we then heard the guests next door through the thin walls, then were awoken the next morning by the guests above us causing their floor (our ceiling) to creak. Management has addressed this with us, providing a credit to come back, and tips for choosing quieter rooms. If not for this, we'd have rated this property lower. Choose your room wisely.
- The tacky public spaces are fun by night, but look gaudy and tired by day.
- The signature cake looks amazing, but doesn't taste amazing.
- It's hard to judge value at a unique property like this, where every room is different, but the room prices seem too high. They'd be more tolerable if the rooms were better maintained.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Madonna Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Madonna Hotel San Luis Obispo
- Madonna Inn San Luis Obispo
- Madonna San Luis Obispo