“Vacuuming above us began at 8 a.m. on a Sunday”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Overpriced at $130 for a Saturday night for 3 adults. Stay on the first floor cause the second floor has yet to be renovated. The room was all new! The bathroom could have used some help, but it was okay. The doors slammed and you could hear it all the way down the hall. We were rudely awakened at 8 a.m. by the maid vacuuming the second floor. The front desk clerk just shrugged her shoulders when my husband voiced his dissatisfation. The wi-fi was extra. Plastic water cups. No radio, clock, or coffee maker. Next time...there are 2 Motel 6's, one on either side, that were advertising $59.99 for two people. I think we would have felt better about the stay had it been cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank fijibucks

Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We took a "flyer" on this hotel (the reviews were mixed) and it paid off. The hotel is very basic so don't look for any frills and it's a bit out of town but conveniently locted next to 101 with easy on/off access. The room was well outfitted and clean. There was fresh coffee and access to hot water in the lobby and the desk personnel could not have been nicer. The hallway leading to our room was a bit musty-smelling but the room itself was just fine and was truly non-smoking. In fact, I think the entire hotel is non-smoking but the room didn't have that "we sprayed around some deoderizer" smell that some many hotels seem to rely upon. If you want to save money, and the hotels in the area are quite pricey, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
Reviewed April 19, 2006

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The entire hotel, lobby, hallways, and the room reeked!!! The smell was a cross between an ashtray and a sewer. The sinks are rusty, half the lighting didn't work, and everything - including the bed and carpeting - oozed of old dirt and filth. Really an awful experience.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 6, 2006

I was planning a trip to San Luis Obispo for myself, my boyfriend, my mom and my sister. After reading the reviews here I wasn't sure if I should stay here myself, let alone if it would be acceptable for my 15 year old sister. After reading the reviews over and over and looking at reviews and pictures of other mid-priced hotels, I figured that The Rose Garden Inn was worth a chance. Now, I have booked hotels before that have decent pictures and gotten there and totally regretted it, and at first glance I thought this might be the same situation. I took the advice of other reviewers and requested a non-smoking, first floor room. I was expecting something pretty bad but it was just fine. The room was furnished in dark wood and looked like it had just been redone. The bathtub was a little funky but we dealt with it. The sheets were clean and the room smelt fine. No smoky smell or icky rose spray smell. It was very quiet considering that it is very close to the highway. It is also very easy to find. They said they had a pool but it was so cold that weekend that we didn't even attempt to look for it. Eventhough this is a motel, there are indoor hallways to access the rooms. Considering the previous reviews it seems as though they have made efforts to improve. Its not a five star but if you're looking for a bargain and are willing to sacrifice some frills, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
las vegas nv
Reviewed September 22, 2005

I lived in SLO for 30 plus years but moved 5 yrs ago to Nevada, I have seen changes in the Rose Garden over the years. The Mon-Fri dinner bbq or meal included is an added bonus. Nothing is very far from anywhere in San Luis Obispo City, I think this place is a great choice. I return & visit SLO often since I have family there. I would gladly recommend the Rose Garden to Anyone needing a clean, afforadable place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

This made a very poor base. Considering how charming the town is, this was in a horrible location, miles from anything. Staff were very uncommunicative. Room was fine, but can't understand why it was so expensive. Find somewhere closer to town.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank adrienne1
Sacramento
Reviewed February 23, 2005

I can't believe that someone came to San Luis Obispo and stayed at the Rose Garden Inn thinking it was anything more than a motel. That's what it is. It's near the freeway - and when I stayed there the intersection of Los Osos Valley Road and 101 wasn't near ANYTHING - it was practically out of town. The room was clean, the tv worked, the shower worked, and it was cheap - cheaper than the Motel-6 that is RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

If you're looking to have a holiday weekend in San Luis Obispo and you want it to be special, you would do better to choose either the Sycamore Mineral Springs (my first choice since I graduated from Cal Poly), Madonna Inn, or Apple Farm. Mind you, I'm not sure those places start at anything under $200 a night - so if you're going cheap, you can't really go any cheaper than Rose Garden Inn.

• Stayed: September 2001, traveled on business