“It is what it is”

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
“It is what it is”
Reviewed February 23, 2005

I can't believe that someone came to San Luis Obispo and stayed at the Rose Garden Inn thinking it was anything more than a motel. That's what it is. It's near the freeway - and when I stayed there the intersection of Los Osos Valley Road and 101 wasn't near ANYTHING - it was practically out of town. The room was clean, the tv worked, the shower worked, and it was cheap - cheaper than the Motel-6 that is RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

If you're looking to have a holiday weekend in San Luis Obispo and you want it to be special, you would do better to choose either the Sycamore Mineral Springs (my first choice since I graduated from Cal Poly), Madonna Inn, or Apple Farm. Mind you, I'm not sure those places start at anything under $200 a night - so if you're going cheap, you can't really go any cheaper than Rose Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2001, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed December 11, 2004

Okay first the good stuff: the heater worked well and quickly. The beds and pillows were fine and comfortable. The staff was pretty nice and helpful. There were a lot of beautiful roses growing around outside of the lobby.
But the sink immediately clogged up, there was no shower head, one of the towels in the bathroom was dirty with makeup, the room smelled like a 10-pack-a-day smoker lived there for a year. Most of the other guests we saw were truckers or bikers (no big deal to us but it's not really the "family vacation hotel" they bill it as). We left a shirt behind and were glad to discover the staff had found it and set it aside -- but when we picked it up, it was ruined with two enormous bleach stains. I was relieved, at least, that they do use bleach in their cleaning process.
This town is a charming, beautiful place, and I am entirely sure there are nicer places to stay.

• Stayed January 2005
13 Thank dellapina

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Reviewed September 24, 2004

After reading these complaints, I almost (foolishly) canceled my reservation. I was there Saturday before Labor Day, and was delighted to find none of the problems mentioned here. My room was large and odor-free with clean sheets and towels, 2 sinks, 2 double beds, an arm chair, a writing desk, a 25" full-cable color TV (even a DVD player!) The only flaws in my room were a small crack in the shower-stall ceiling and a dual-shower head that took a minute to figure out. The evening staff were warm, friendly and eager to please and the grounds were beautiful. Yes, truckers and bikers do stay there, but there were no incidents. For a busy Saturday night on a three-day weekend I would have expected a lot more commotion. I slept soundly, and I wouldn't hesitate to return!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2004

The grounds were clean with plenty of beautiful roses and song birds. The beds were comfortable, but there were problems:

the room phone did not work, the bathroom sink and shower leaked, and the room smelled of cheap rose perfume that smelled okay at first but took on a sick sweet smell after a few hours.

We cut our stay short and went to the Holiday Inn for $10 more per night. Four days later our clothes still smelled like cheap rose perfume.

It's an okay place if you are on a tight budget but I would not stay there again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Riverdale, California
Reviewed April 30, 2004

I wanted to take my husband to the coast for his birthday because we hadn't been there in a while. The description of the Rose Garden Inn sounded great and I didn't mind spending a little more to stay somewhere nicer than a Motel 6. I should have taken the Motel 6. The service was nice enough, and from the looks of the lobby and the pool it looked really nice. The room was a different story. It was picked up, but smelled like mildew. There were cigarette burns in the bed spreads and chairs. The walls and ceilings were very thin, you could here everything around you. I have since spoken to other people who have had bad experiences at the Rose Garden Inn. I won't recommend it or retrun no matter how close it is to the Outlets.

7 Thank sarasanwar
Reviewed April 25, 2004

An incredible deal if you are looking for an inexpensive motel (with indoor corridors). After reading the other reviews, we may have been lucky, but our experince was superb. The room was large, clean, and even nicer than we were expecting. I am an asthmatic and probably more sensitive to cigarette smoke than most. Our room showed no indication of smoking.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2004

I had made a reservation several weeks in advance. When I checked in at 6:30 in the evening, the desk clerk was telling everyone that the rooms weren't ready yet! And it took a long time to get checked in. I went on to dinner and came back about 9:00. The room felt and smelled dirty and there was leftover soap from the previous occupant in the bathroom.
Someone honked their car horn repeatedly in the parking lot about 5 a.m. I wish I'd stayed at the Motel 6 next door. I will next time.

• Stayed April 2004, traveled on business