“Don't Waste Your Money”

Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
tujunga
“Don't Waste Your Money”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in late July. Arriving late we got a room at the back of the hotel. Looks like they are updating their rooms in the front. Our room smelled of cigarette smoke and it felt dirty. Not to mention the musty smell. We asked for another room that smelled a little better but it still felt old and could have used some updates. Their were holes in some of the walls and things that needed to be repaired. The bedspreads looked and smelled dirty and there was even a cigarette hole in one of them. We wished we had spent a little more money for a far more superior hotel. The only thing the hotel has going for it is the grounds. The hotel isn't near the freeway and I just didn't like the location. Stay somewhere else. The service wasn't that great. You might save some money but it isn't worth it if you are looking for comfort & cleanliness. I would have been better off at a Motel 6. I will never stay at this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank carmerlgreco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Mariposa
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My Wife and I stay here a lot to visit our Son who teaches school in SLO. Everything you need and very nice rooms plus a pool and huge spa. The staff is always ready to help and give tips about SLO. We will keep staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Call ahead, for a room this hotel fills up!
Highland, California
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I, along with adult daughter and teen age granddaughter stayed for a day and an evening at the Rose Garden. The desk attendants were courteous and never gave us any trouble. The two rooms were clean and comfortable, but small. Included in each room was a small refrigerator and a microwave, along with the usual TV (CRT type), DVD player, desk and chairs. The beds were comfortable enough that my wife did not unroll her foam mattress pad as she usually does. So far so good, why 4 stars instead of 5?

The bathroom was smaller than average, so small that the plumber had to slightly angle the toiler away from the tub, still ok, but you'd only want one person in there at a time. And when I wanted to use the internet, I found it was down. The desk suggested that I bring my laptop to their office because the reception there is sometimes better. But even when I did so, I couldn't get a webpage to load, and I wanted to watch a sporting event that was being streamed. I couldn't get even email to download. Latter in the day, to be honest, I was able to get average Wi-Fi in my room with no problem, but when I really wanted it, it was not available. The desk person at the time told me that she had a "man" working on the router. Apparently, she did have that man, but he didn't fix the problem until later. As I type this, download speeds approach 1.2 Mbps while upload speeds are faster, almost 3 Mbps.

We did have a problem in the bathroom with a clogged toilet, but the desk sent a man immediately to take care of the problem.

So, two complaints, the small bathroom ( don't let that stop you from staying here) and the internet (apparently they have problems with that frequently or the "bring your laptop to the office" suggestion would have probably not been made. So, if you need the Wi-Fi, IF YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE RELIABLE WI-FI, find another hotel. but this one is fine for most travelers.

Room Tip: The back is probably quieter. The Hotel is just off the Highway with lots of traffic 24 hours a day.
Pomona, California, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was there for four nights on business, Monday - Friday, and it was a really nice and clean room. The beds are super comfy and there was a nice fridge and microwave. The T.V. was also nice. That's where it ended. There are things that really do need improvement in this hotel. I stayed in the back on the top floor. There are only stairs, no elevator so if that is a problem make sure to get a 1st floor room. Second, there was no clock in the room. I had to use my phone as my alarm clock. Third, the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired. The shower head is at least 20 yrs old and rusted. I had to ask for a bathtub stopper so I could take a bath cause the shower head was a joke. The bathroom sink was really outdated also and barely had water flow. The toilet seat was really flimsy and could use an upgrade also. The towels were then and really scratchy, either they need some fabric softener in their wash or just plain better quality of towels. The headboards are not attached to the bed and are loose on the wall so every time someone gets in and out of the bed the mattress hits the headboard and it bangs the wall. My bed was on the same wall as my neighbor's bed and was awaken many times by the headboard banging up against the wall. Oh and there also was no iron and ironing board in the rooms either. And for some reason the A/C is right on one of the beds in the double bed room. So make sure you have an extremely hot person with you to sleep in that bed or else they will freeze from the a/c being on all night or you will wake up sweating from it being off all night.

All of the rooms have a balcony. There is a little cafe right next door that's open 6:30am - 9pm. They also Mon - Thur have a dinner that is served for their contractors but guests can get tickets from the front desk to have a plate. The food is really good. Also there is a BEAUTIFUL pool and spa jacuzzi with a waterfall. I loved being in the jacuzzi and it was never crowed. That alone made it all worth the stay.

Overall it really was a nice stay and I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shani B
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We wanted just a one night stop over in San Luis Obipso on route to LA and Anaheim after travelling over the Big Sur from Monterey. We were so pleased to have stayed here. A good rate with two very comfortable beds for us two adults and 2 children. We enjoyed the pool and it's beautiful waterfall and surroundings. Our room was just over from the pool which was great. Although clean I do think our room was in need of upgrading particularly in the bathroom but for the one night stopover this was just fine. The staff were very nice too. I had hoped to have done a wash of clothes early the next day but unfortunately the machines were not in operation but that was just bad timing. We used Margie's diner for our evening meal, right next door and this was good value for money and massive portions too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RACHEL W
Point Arena, CA
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After a tiring traverse of LA in hot and unusually humid weather, we picked The Rose Garden Inn based on the picture of their lovely pool and water-fall spa. We were pleasantly surprised to find the rest of their accommodations equally appealing. Our room was spacious and well-appointed, spotlessly clean, and completely comfortable, not to mention very reasonably priced Staff were friendly and efficient, and provided accurate local directions and information. The grounds are truly gardens, with mature trees and flowering shrubs all around. We now have our go-to place for our half-way stop on our frequent travels between northern Cal and San Diego.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have the nicest views, and are far enough back to avoid any pool noise.
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This inn was great! It was a dated style building but meticulously maintained. Our room was recently refurbished and was spotless. The halls even had air fresheners to keep them pleasant also. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. Check-in was fast and staff was outstandingly gracious. The pool and spa area were gorgeous and extremely clean. My family would definitely stay here if we were again in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family