“Average hotel for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Phoenix, Arizona
“Average hotel for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Be sure to request a remodeled room - we didn't! Our's was clean but very basic. The in-room phone was inoperable and when we asked about it we were told that an electrical storm had fried their system - we got the feeling it had been out of service for some time.

The front desk person was very friendly and helpful and recommended the hot tub, which we took advantage of after a long drive. It was very nice - you could tell that it had very recently been updated (see the picture on this site). If the ongoing hotel renovations are done as well, this will be a great place to stay.

Overall, the room was OK considering the low price but if I stayed here again, I would be sure to get an updated room, even if it cost a bit more..

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Camarillo, California (Near Los Angeles)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two kids last weekend. I didn't have any of the problems other reviewers reported. No bed bugs and everything looked new, clean and nicely appointed. I thought it was cool that they had a DVD player. The guy at reception was courteous and helpful. When I requested a downstairs room, he suggested that I go for an upstairs room because the downstairs rooms have not been renovated yet. Maybe the people who got less than adequate rooms were staying in a downstairs room? The pool here is very nice. Personally, I would return here but my husband didn't like was that the 2 beds in our room were full sized (somewhere between a full and a queen). A full sized bed is fine for a single adult but is a tight squeeze for two adults.

Room Tip: Make a reservation directly with the motel if possible and always ask for a free upgrade or one of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hemet, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I needed an affordable place to stay for Thanksgiving evening and chose this hotel. It is an older hotel, but in the lobby, there is the plans for the up-coming renovations and they look fantastic. Service was so great! Very friendly and accommodating staff. I had changed my reservation room type at the last minute with no problems or added fees. The housekeeping staff was eager to help in any way they could with out reservation. I thought I had left my phone charger in the room and when I called the front desk staff personally went to the room to look for it. I found it in my purse, but he never made me feel like I had burdened him. The diner next door was great too (and the hotel guest get a decent discount!) I would absolutely recommend this Inn to my friends and stay here again with out a second thought!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SJAC66
Rohnert Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here while visiting relatives for thanksgiving. The rooms were not very big, but they were not postage stamp size.The rooms were clean enough did find some trash under bed. Mentioned it to management and he said he would tell house keeping. I would book through motels own web site price were better and more room choices. They have 2 wings one which is upgraded which we stayed in nicer beds, linens, more furniture coffee maker and maybe bigger tv. The other rooms were same size but looked very basic. 20$ more for upgraded rooms at time I booked. Hotel has 2 floors and all rooms appeared to have balcony or patio. The grounds were nicely kept lots of plants nice feel. The pool area was very nice larger the average pool and large hot tub with water fall and colored lights at nice very cool. Jets and temp of spa were nice not too hot and you could find a jet with nice pressure. Had down stairs room and the noise from upstairs was loud could not here rooms on the sides. The front desk guy (Jared I think) when we checked was very efficient and helpful. Small lobby had coffee and fruit available. The hotel is right off freeway and has diner on grounds. You can get small voucher at front desk for small discount at restaurant which served a very good breakfast. Have stayed in other hotels in this area over the years and will book this one again.

Room Tip: Book rooms through hotels web site and upgraded are nicer.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for a night to go to wedding. It was clean, just off the freeway, not too busy but not isolated. There was a diner next door and the freeway access there to hit Paso, Pismo, or whatever. Rooms weren't lavish but nice and cozy and clean. Water was hot, beds comfy. I'd visit again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed on a Thursday night, which was perfect since it coincided with the city's farmer market. Not only was room satisfactory, but the hotel provided a free dinner for the entire family. After considering the value of the dinner, the room was practically free.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Worst part of stay was waking up after one hour itching with bug bites on my arms. I had to apply an alchohol based hand sanitizer to stop the itch and get back to sleep. In the morning I had 8 large red welts on my right upper arm and 2 on my left. I mentioned the problem to the desk clerk in the morning and she seemed to make a note of it. For several days I have had to use Benadryl cream on the welts. Now 6 days later the itching has stopped but the redness is still there.
Two days after my stay there I got an routine email from the inn manager thanking me for staying there and asking for feed back. I sent a nice letter of my experience (and of other short coming as listed below). Now four days after my return email the manager has yet to reply. Great service. He apparently doesn't give a rip about customer satisfaction or his bug infestation.
In addition to the biting insects the "free" wifi was down (even though I was given the password at check-in), there wasn't any coffee or coffee maker in room nor any clock radio, instruction card on phone or inn book, Don't be fooled by the web pictures. My room looked nothing like them. The furniture was beat up, the one chair was stained rust on the curtain rod and bad spots on the mirror.
I paid $90 for this dump. Go across the street to Motel 6 and get a refurbished room for less.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple