“Pretty nice place, a little on the "antique" side” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Sacramento, California
“Pretty nice place, a little on the "antique" side”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had an enjoyable time at this cute little place. Half of the rooms are still undergoing renovation and are very outdated. The room I stayed in was more modern, the bed a little on the soft side, the walls are kind of thin, and the TV had 2 remotes but neither worked. The price was a little high, but that's what you get on a Friday in the summer near the coast. I wish it came with some kind of breakfast, but the coffee at the front desk was delicious. It was clean and I felt safe which is very important. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Service was great upon arrival, assistant was kind and helpful. Didn't book ahead but phoned ahead and were advised of different rate by one assistant over phone than what we were charged at front desk. Toilet blocked up on first use & did not work entire stay (1 night only), reception/maintenance quick to respond but extremely inconvenient when there are 5 of you in a room! Having family stay next door helped out with this. Discount voucher of $5 provided for Margie's diner next door - yet to try. Ok if you want a place to put your head but would not stay here for a vacation - ever!

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel for five days. Checking in was simple enough, and the guy at the front desk was friendly. The room appeared to be just fine at first, but when I went to go take a shower, the water completely soaked the entire bathroom floor. When we asked about the problem, the person at the front desk said that they were already aware of it, and that they would be picking up some things to fix it. Then, they gave us the option of switching to another room, but since we were already well unpacked, we had to decline.
The men working down by the pool were much more knowledgeable than anyone who was working at the front desk, since they seemed to know more about the status of the pool heating system and whether or not it was open. Also, we did not see anything at the hotel about the complimentary dinners, and we ended up missing out on them.
I am not rating this hotel poorly due to any grudges. I'm really not hard to please. I just feel that it's unfortunate that the front desk does not have consistently correct information for its guests, and that they have great potential for promoting their hotel that they are not putting to use.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Winters, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

To celebrate our 23rd anniversary my wife and I decided to head down to California's central coast and spend a couple of days in the San Luis Obispo area to visit the world famous farmers market and the Hurst Castle. I checked out the reviews of hotels on TripAdvisor and decided to go ahead and give the Rose Garden Inn a try. (I have found in the past that mixed reviews don't always tell the whole story.) A couple of days after completing my online reservation I received an e-mail from the Hotel General Manager telling me he was looking forward to our arrival and that we could e-mail or call him if we had any questions. I thought this was especially nice. I replied to the e-mail and asked to be assigned a room in a nice location since we were celebrating our anniversary. We made the five hour drive down and arrived at the inn. When I attempted to check in at the front desk the clerk wasn't able to find my reservation. He was polite and kind, but couldn't find it. I had printed out my confirmation as well as the e-mail from the manager so I provided them to the clerk, who informed me that this manager hasn't worked at the property for months. He did finally find my reservation and assigned us a standard king room. We made our way around the back of the property to our room. Upon entry we noticed stains and dirt and trash in the garbage can. I told my wife we were going back to the front desk to request another room. The clerk said he was surprised at my description of the room and decided to upgrade us to a premium room, if we could accept two queens instead of a king. I told him that wouldn't be a problem. The premium room was acceptable. It appeared to be clean and the furnishings were in good repair, and the trash can was empty. The beds were moderately comfortable and wi-fi was readily available. Coffee and apples were available for hotel guests in the lobby area. While I wouldn't return to this property to celebrate a special occasion, I might consider staying the night while on a road trip or business trip. In the end, the Rose Garden Inn met our needs, but it definitely didn't exceed them.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in a "Standard" room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tedandmy
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed in that hotel for business (7 weeks), Monday through Friday. It's an older hotel, but very clean, with friendly staff, free parking, free WI-Fi, delicious BBQ, coffee and apples in the lobby. Easy access to freeway, close to shopping and the restaurant -Margie's diner-next door .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Viktor B
Oakdale, Calif
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Everything is great. They no longer serve the bread basket for breakfast as advertized but they give a discount certificate to the restaurant next door Margie's Diner.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Inverness, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

After reading the negative reviews about the Rose Garden I was definitely concerned that I was staying at a Motel 6 style property with transients and hookers roaming around everywhere. What I found upon check in was a very cute older hotel with beautiful grounds, a super friendly staff, clean modern rooms with the most comfortable bed's I have ever slept in, including my tempurpedic at home. At checkin the young lady at the desk greeted us with a huge smile and offered us some cookies that she had just taken out of the oven. We ended up checking in and chatting with her for over an hour about local attractions, never once did we feel like she was annoyed by us or our questions, which is more than I can say for most hotel clerks! When we got to the room we were greeted by a fresh rose which was obviously picked from their gorgeous rose garden (Hence the name of the hotel) a very homey newly renovated room with a nice plush king bed, docking station for my iphone, huge flat screen tv and dvd player and a small patio which overlooked the pool. The room was one of the cleanest I have seen, and yes I looked everywhere. The maids in the hallsways smiled every time I walked by and the front desk girl even called to ask if we needed anything before she went home. All in all this was the best value I have ever received and I have to say judging a hotel based on 70 reviews is hardly a large enough sample size to judge a hotel so call the hotel and chat with the staff to get a better feel, im so glad that I did. We were thrilled with the Rose Garden Inn and know anyone else looking for a good value while traveling will too. Not to mention most hotels in SLO are upwards of $150 per night... Yikes I think we paid that for two nights at the ROse Garden!

Room Tip: Stay in the renovated wing it is much nicer and quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family