“Quiet comfort with dinner BBQ= GREAT VALUE”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Great night's sleep in a quiet hotel. They even have BBQ. My husband and I gave up on another cheap hotel nearby because of the noise (I'm a light sleeper), but Rose Garden has always been quiet. We go to SLO once a month, so it's important to get a clean, quiet room that is reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjpres

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Room and bathroom were both large and clean. Bed was comfortable with clean sheets and blankets. Amenities included referigerator, microwave, plasma television. Enjoyed our stay very much and the dinner that was provided on Thursday night was excellent -- tri tip. Service personnel were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again and recommend hotel to friends.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donna_brittenham
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I stayed here overnight on my way north and found this inn to be a great bargain. While it's true that it isn't a luxury hotel, it served its purpose very well. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and the room was clean and comfortable. I needed a safe place to spend the night, and I found it at the Rose Garden. Additionally, it's located next to a restaurant, Margie's, (and a Starbucks isn't far down the road), making my early morning exit quick and easy. I didn't need any bells and whistles and at a price of $50/night, I got everything I needed. It's conveniently located just off the 101 so traffic noise can be an issue if you're a light sleeper. I brought my trusty earplugs and slept like a baby.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank dartorr
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The first room we checked in to reeked of Pledge (it was still on all the surfaces) after an hour of airing the room out we were still having difficulty being in the room. The second room was an improvement, the new odor was now BBQ smoke flavor. The lone chair was badly stained and torn. Carpets were old and dingy. The blackout curtains let in the light where they were worn. The electrical outlets were loose and frustrating. The shower heads were similar to those in a campground - it ferociously spit all over me. There were not enough blankets on the beds. The neighbor across the hall pounded on their door non stop sometime between 1 and 4 a.m. One stairwell smelled of skunk, the other smelled of mildew. I'm embarassed to say that I stayed a second night.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
BeachfrontinAvila, Public Relations Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you for posting your comments about our property. In response to your concerns, we always provide extra blankets and towels in the closets of our guest rooms. If you need even more then that, the front desk is always happy to provide those. Also, we uphold a strict noise policy. After 11pm, we ask our guests to respect our other patrons and lower their noise. If there was a problem, there is a staff member in the lobby 24 hours a day, and they could have handled this in order to make your stay more comfortable. We hope you will still consider the Rose Garden Inn for your next stay.

Reviewed January 26, 2011

We decided to stay in SLO after an afternoon of wine tasting in Paseo Robles. Since we just wanted a quick bed to sleep in for the night we pricelined a room... $50 including tax for the night. We were expecting a run down, smelly, loud, crap hole but the Rose Garden is actually pretty nice (for what it is). The room was decent size with microwave, refrig., nice TV and furnishings. The house keeping staff obviously went out of their way to make sure we knew it was clean. Ya know how sometimes housekeeping staff people make fans out of the washcloths and then tuck them into the towels for a cute little display? Well... we laughed when we saw that they made the fan/tuck display on the towels, bath rug, kleenex and both TP rolls. It might have been the best budget hotel I've ever stayed at. Front desk staff were friendly and quick!
Keep in mind it is budget... the beds are pretty firm... but well worth the price for a quick stop in SLO. :)

2  Thank Darkdivine
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I paid $45 to stay here through hotwire (though when I got to the hotel I saw they have a banner stating that is their weeknight rate anyway), and I think this is a great deal. For the price, the place is completely fine. I stayed at a travelodge in Paso Robles that was more expensive and less comfortable.

I was excited about finding a bargain deal and may have written a review anyway to pass that value along, but the real reason I am writing is because not only was it a deal, but the service was excellent. When I arrived, exhausted, and only wanting a hot shower, the hot water was out. I called Chris, at the front desk, and he was caring, professional, and helpful. It was beyond his control, and the hot water did not come back that night, but he offered to refund my money completely or let me stay there for 50% off. I was too tired to find another place, and greatly appreciated his offer for a discount - it made me feel much better about not having a hot shower. Also, the manner in which he did it was sincere, which is kindof hard to find at budget hotels. He was clearly taking a verbal beating from many guests upset about the lack of hot water, yet he gave me directions (and very helpful local tips) when I was heading into town for the night. This was extremely helpful, and again, the manner in which he did it was really exceptional for a budget hotel - he was professional, kind, and very helpful, in the midst of which was clearly a difficult situation for him (phone ringing off the hook, guests yelling at him about the water situation).

The next morning, the girl at the front desk was just as awesome, so I left thinking this place is really a gem. Make no mistake, it is a bare bones accommodation, but it is clean, safe, and run by a great staff. I would definitely pick this if you are looking for a budget hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business