“The hotel stole our 4 family coats.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hotel is nice. It has a small pool that my kids loved and it has a nice happy hour. We stayed there for two nights and got back yesterday. I left my coat and my kids’ coats in the dresser in the bedroom. Since the weather was so nice, we didn’t wear them the whole trip. Yesterday
we got back to SF wearing t-shirts. Pretty nice weather for this time of the year.

This morning I realized that I left all the coats hanging in the dresser. I'm 100% sure I left the coats there - I carefully hung them in the closet. The coats include one woman’s coat, one boy's coat size 14, one boy's coat size 9 and one boy's coat size 2.

I called the hotel and they told me that they couldn’t find my coats. The woman at the front desk was not very helpful. I got the feeling they were rather busy and didn't want to take the time to investigate my issue.

Not the best way to start the New Year. We are never going to stay at an Embassy Suites again.

If you stay there watch your stuff.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Eric H;

First, thank you for your visit to our hotel and for your comments about it being "nice." I was very disappointed, however, to read your comments regarding your family's missing coats. I assure you that we take this seriously and we are again searching our entire building to see if we can't locate them. Should we find them we will return them immediately.

Thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We made our reservation at Embassy Suites for a one night stop-over driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles. We've stayed at a few different places in the area in the past but this was our first stay at Embassy Suits and it will likely be our last.

We arrived around 5:00PM to check into our room and we grabbed a luggage cart, loaded up our stuff and headed up to our room. As we approached the room there was a rumpling noise in the hall, like a low humming of a Harley Davidson. We entered the room and the noise got even louder. I checked in the hall and the room shared a wall with the electrical room, ice machine and a vending machine all of which were very noisy. The floor was vibrating and it felt like the room could explode at any moment. I then called down to the front desk and asked if we could switch rooms but I was told that the hotel was fully booked for the night. It was clear to me that they still had rooms since the check-in line was quite long when we arrived. They then sent up the "engineer" to take a look at the problem. He arrived and was like "what noise?". It was clear that he would not be able to fix the problem or even had the ability to do so. At that point we started calling other hotels to see what was available last minute and got out of that dirty noisy hotel as quickly as possible. We ended up at the Quality Inn which was actually quite nice.

The hotel room that we were given should not have been available to any guest and Embassy Suites should be ashamed of them selves to trying to stick a customer in it.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank helphand

Dear helphand;

Thank you for your direct feedback. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and I was very disappointed to learn of your experience. Though the hotel was at capacity the evening of your reservation I truly wish that we had done a better job working through the issue you mentioned about the vibration in your room. We simply fell short of your expectations, and quiet frankly ours.

I would love to have you back for a future stay so we can demonstrate our commitment to "Make it Right."

Again, thank you for your feedback and I do wish you all the best!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here recently and paid $95 per night. For that price I suppose it would be greedy to complain. The hotel is functional but the layout with the center courtyard leads to a noisy experience. We stayed over a holiday weekend and the hotel was packed with families. The breakfast area in the courtyard was a mob scene. The noise can be cacophonous at times. This hotel is not anyone's idea of a romantic getaway for area wine tasting.

Room Tip: Pick a room far away from the center courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LatinAmericanista;

Thank you for your recent visit to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, we appreciate your business. You are correct, the week of your reservation our hotel was at capacity with many families staying with us to enjoy the beautiful area and weather. The central Atrium can get a bit noisy in the mornings at the peak of our breakfast service. We are very sorry if this put a damper on your "romantic weekend." We would love to have you back in the future where you could experience our hotel in a quieter state.

Thanks again for your visit and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Another standard Embassy Suite with the same features as expected: complimentary breakfast buffet, happy hours, adequately equipped and sized suite rooms, and your dated decor.

I will admit, that the breakfast buffet here is a little bit bitter than other Embassy Suites I've stayed at. They actually change their menus and would post each day what they're offering. As a result, I wasn't stuck with eating pastry and omelettes everyday, but there was some variety. Free breakfast is a convenient feature and I'm not going to expect 5 star dining, but they actually do an above average job at this location.

This hotel is located in a strip mall with other restaurants, stores, and conveniences nearby. SLO is a relatively smaller town than most and therefore, most things are within an easy driving distance. Downtown SLO is a 5 minute walk away. It also faces a farm literally adjacent to the parking lot, didn't smell fertilizer though, which is a good thing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Halo8;

Thank you for your recent visit. I'm glad that you found our complimentary cook to order breakfast to your liking and that you felt we did an "above average" job. Many guests favorably comment on our location as you did which has many options for shopping, dining and Cal Poly.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. All the best!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Perfect location to take a break if you are traveling on highway 1 between southern and northern California. We liked the breakfast and great sun room experience during morning. There is a open field near the hotel and situated in shopping strip area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Amit G;

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. So glad you found our location desirable and a convenient stop between Northern and Southern California. Also glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our sun filled Atrium at breakfast.

All the best and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The staff here is wonderful, helpful and friendly and more than willing to handle whatever was required. I love the breakfast it is nice to have such a a wide variety of items available and I enjoy not having to rush around and find a breakfast place. I like the convenience of the shopping and freeway access.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Jodette B;

Well you hit the trifecta of positive guest feedback; great staff, excellent breakfast and location. Thank you! We hope to have you back soon.

All the best!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Embassy suites was a great choice for a short trip to a family event, convenient to most parts of town and we definitely took advantage of some of the shopping in the mall. included breakfast with made-to-order omelettes was a nice touch and we would have enjoyed trying the evening reception if we hadn't had evening plans. Room was large, good value. We ate lunch one day which wasn't that great - good salads but mains uninspiring. Small pool would have benefited from a change room and service at the desk was a little slow.

Room Tip: avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Rachel Z;

I am very happy that you found your experience at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo an overall great choice and value. Many guests enjoy our location, nearby shopping and our complimentary cook to order breakfast that you mentioned. Thank you for your feedback regarding your lunch experience. I am excited to announce that within the next two weeks we will be offering a complete new line up of food options for both lunch and dinner by our Executive Chef, Kirk Sowell. Hopefully you will be able to experience our new menu during your next visit to SLO.

Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best.