“Let the sunshine in.....let the sunshine....the sunshine”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We LOVE to stay at the Embassy suites! We have traveled to many states and enjoy the suite setup at each location. This was the first time we have stayed in SLO and unfortunately it was not as overall satisfying as others. First the good things: the staff, all of them, from the front desk, to the bartender at the manager reception, to the cook at the made to order breakfast, to the housekeepers, everyone was wonderful! The room was cozy, but was a little worn, just like the hotel overall, cozy, but in need of some cosmetic updates. Our biggest complaint was how dark everything was. The brightest light in our suite was the bathroom! The windows were so small that no natural light would come in. The atrium is beautiful when the sun is out, but at night there is barely any lighting in the atrium. Some how this place needs to be brightened up at night! A bonus too is that the farmers market is in the parking lot on the weekends!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sally G
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Sally G;

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our staff, they work very hard to ensure that our guests receive the best in hospitality. And thank you for your feedback regarding lighting. As we work our way towards a renovation this will definitely be an area of focus.

We look forward to your next visit. All the best!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was one of the worst experiences I've had at a Hilton property and I will never be back to this location. I mistakenly made a reservation that was one day longer than I was able to stay. I didn't realize it until the day before I wanted to check out, so I approached the front desk and spoke with someone who identified himself as the manager. I told him I would like to check out a day early and he told me that was fine, but that they would charge me a $75 early departure fee. I've checked out early at many other hotels before without a fee, but the manager would not budge. When I showed him that his own website listed the early departure fee as 0% (http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/embassy-suites-san-luis-obispo-SLOCAES/about/policies.html), he told me that 0% "is not a dollar amount, so we can charge whatever we need to." Obviously 0% of literally any amount is $0, but he was not able to understand that logic. He then told me that the checkin document I signed was a legal contract between the hotel and myself, and that the early departure fee was a sort of breach-of-contract penalty. However, since their own website stated differently and there was no mention of the change in percentage at checkin, the "contract" he mentioned was a joke and not enforceable. Furthermore, I gave them more than 24 hours notice compared to when their typical cancellation time is, so if this had been a separate reservation just for the day, there wouldn't be a problem. I am very upset with this location, but the Hilton corporate customer service was able to make things right for me. This location must be a franchise, because they do not represent the brand well.

The hotel is old, run down, and dark in the lobby since there are only skylights. However, it is clean and the breakfast and housekeeping staff do a wonderful job. The internet left something to be desired, as the signal was very weak in my room.

1  Thank biztraveler1990

Dear biztraveler;

First, my sincere apologies for how this situation was handled. We take great pride in guest satisfaction and customer service; we clearly fell short of delivering our promise of complete guest satisfaction. I was happy to see that Hilton customer service made it right and waived the $75 dollar early departure fee regarding your reservation. Per your feedback we are reviewing all on line communication to ensure that everything is correct and up to date.

Again, my sincere apologies for what you experienced. I do hope that you give us another opportunity to make it right with a future stay.

Warm Regards,

Kevin Phipps

Reviewed December 9, 2013

A month before our arrival I requested extra towels and a crib. A week before I reminded the staff that I needed these things and then the day of our reservation I called again and reminded the staff I had already requested these items. I checked-in with a tired toddler only to discover they had given our reserved crib away and we had no extra towels in our room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Virginia M

Dear Virginia M;

Thank you for providing us feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations regarding the delivery of towels and a crib. Rest assured, guest feedback is incredibly important to us and I will personally follow up regarding the issues you experienced to ensure it does not happen again.

I hope you will give us another try so we may demonstrate our commitment to complete guest satisfaction.

I wish you all the best.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Comfortable Clean Safe Roomy Great Service Cook to order breakfast was yummy, quiet, friendly staff, great cable channels I will stay here again and recommend it for business or pleasure near shopping, restaurants and not far from the ocean easy access to major highways great evening hospitality hours for networking with coworkers or enjoying each other's com[pany

Dear Megan B;

Thank you for the many kind comments regarding your stay, i.e. comfortable accommodations, your breakfast experience, our staff and our location. Sounds like you had a great visit and we look forward to hosting you again.

All the best.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My sons and their father with dementia spent the night on the floor of the hotel because they were given a room with only one queen bed when the reservation was for a room with two queen beds. THey couldn't use the King for two reasons: firstly, three people cannot fit into a bed and secondly, there was a nest of spiders in bed. The trip was ruined because my sons were so tired. I was at a different hotel and enjoyed a wonderful nights sleep. I should have booked them at Apple Farm in San luis obispo, ca. I learned my lesson the hard way.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Arjun Y;

I appreciate the direct feedback you provided regarding your recent stay. We do our very best to honor and deliver against reservation requests and preferred room types. My apologies that we fell short of your expectations and that this affected your sleep. Also, I was very disappointed to learn about the spiders you referenced in your comments. Though rare, we take reports of bugs and/or insects very seriously and would have been happy to address the situation immediately.

I do hope that you give us another opportunity to make it right for a future stay. We truly value your business.

All the best.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My stay was fantablulous. You guys are great. I loved this hotel and was very ecstatic to stay here. The service was very good and it had amazing food! I highly recommend staying here and eating their food, conversing with their employs and noticing the cleanliness of everything. I was very happy and I give it 12 stars out of 10. I could eat off the bathroom counter and everything smelled nice. Their happy hour was very good as well. I just wish their parking stalls were a bit bigger for my large truck.

Dear Trip Advisor Member;

Wow, sounds like you had a "fabulous" stay with us. Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our service, our staff, our amazing food and our clean facilities. And thank you for the "12" rating!

We look forward to your next visit. All the best!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hotel staff was freindly and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable. Parking was easy. Complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour was convenient and a great place for all of us to meet and visit. A wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Martha D;

My sincere thanks for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. So glad you found our staff friendly and efficient. Our complimentary cooked to order breakfast and evening reception are crowd favorites and I'm glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy them.

Until next time, safe travels!