“pray you don't have to make a change in your stay!!!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hesperia, California
“pray you don't have to make a change in your stay!!!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had to make a change in my stay from 3 nites to 2nites for 2 rooms. I tried calling before my arrival twice and was transferred to an off shore location and had to hang up because i could not understand what they were saying. Heavy accents. so i waited till I arrived at hotel and they told me if I was to drop one nites room I would have to agree to pay $75/per room penalty. this is the policy they gave "Any change to the arrival date, departure date or room type of this reservation is subject to the hotel's availability at the time the change is requested and may result in a possible rate change or an additional fee". notice the may result and possible. There is nothing written down as to what this mysterious charge will be. They could have charged $1000 if they chose to. Misty said with a smile on her face.that I could pay it or leave. Another thing while i was checking in she was calling my home phone to see if I was going to show up for my reservation., She did not know I was already at the hotel. This was around 5pm. I have never had anybody call my home before, since I had made my reservation with a credit card which guarantees your room will be held for you. It seemed suspicious. There policy is very ambiguous. They can pick and choose who they will charge this mysterious amount and how much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear teresa3241;

Thank you for sharing your reservation experience with us; guest feedback is very important to us and is always reviewed with our staff. To help clarify, a reservation cancelled outside of 24 hrs. prior to arrival is not subject to the $75 cancellation fee unless booked under an "advanced purchase" rate per Embassy Suites brand standards. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and I can assure you that we follow brand standard consistently across the board. Regarding being called at home, when the hotel is at peak occupancy we may attempt to call guests day of arrival (with the number provided on the reservation) to verify their reservation and arrival date, this in attempt to balance our inventory for the day.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and I wish you all the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights for a wedding and place was very dated. Very humid rooms. I'd pass one this hotel if your a embassy suites regular. Breakfast staff was also very unfriendly. We will try Madonna Inn next time we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Johnst14;

Thank you for your recent post. While our hotel is not new we do our very best to maintain it at a very high level. I will check the room you stayed in for humidity; we have not had this comment before so I definitely want to look into this and rectify. I was very disappointed that you found our breakfast staff unfriendly; typically we receive very high marks for friendly staff.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback, much appreciated. All the best.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here one night. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel did have a free managers reception however we did not attend since it was over by the time we arrived. We did go to the pool which is very difficult to find. Having a few signs up pointing guests to the direction of the pool would be a much needed improvement. The pool was clean and there were plenty of towels supplied. The breakfast in the morning was tasty. There was an omelet station as well as the usual buffet that Embassy Suites hotels offer. There was plenty of seating since the hotel was not very crowded. Overall, we had no major problems and would return to the hotel in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear PinkLOver;

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy that you found our hotel to be clean, our beds comfortable and that you were able to take advantage of our newly updated pool & fitness center. I'm sorry you were not able to take advantage of our complimentary evening reception but happy that you found our breakfast "tasty." Your comments regarding the pool being difficult to find is duly noted and we will look at making some improvements in this area.

Again, thank you for your posted comments and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to SLO. Warm Regards.
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I always enjoy staying at embassy suites, love the big spacious rooms. Why 4/5 well, I enjoy my private time, while my kids have there's. unfortunately the tv in the living room only had reception to analog stations only, I'd say 5 stations. Very disappointed, I had to watch tv land or the news stations. Our room was very far from the elevators, down a long corridor. Kind of eerie if you ask me. Other than that the beds were great, except for our sofa bed which felt like it may break if a heavy person was to lay on it. I don't mind the extra storage area in the bedroom but I found it to be kind of odd to have an old tv armoire along with a regular armoire still in the room, the tv now sits on top of a tall dresser, just odd. I don't know about spending $149/night here? The Doubletree in grand junction was only $94/night. Oh but I do love the location, it's perfect for anyone wanting to just walk to a mall. Thought it was weird at first but ended up loving the location. The staff here is also great, a waiter on my first night was gracious enough to not charge me for my meal because unknowingly I order the salmon pasta which was made with a lobster base, not mentioned on the menu, which I am allergic too! He was kind enough to rush me another meal, which was the club house sandwich, that was Delish! If not for the tv problem, I'd give this site 5 stars

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Jaykunilee;

Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. It sounds like overall you had a great stay and that you truly enjoyed our location near convenient shopping. I was also pleased to see that we took good care of you during your evening meal and that you enjoyed our staff. We will definitely look into the TV issues you experienced; thank you for letting us know.

All the best!
fresno, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Noisey wall paper thin, front desk and restaurant staff not helpful. We had to go looking for a waitress the one time we ate in. Reservations misrepresented the rooms we requested adjoining then found out they don't exist. Room was not ready at check-in we had to wait 2 hours.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Marilyn H;

I was very disappointed to learn of your experience while staying at our hotel, particularly regarding the desk staff and restaurant staff not being helpful. Typically our associates receive rave reviews from our guests and they take great pride in the service which they provide. I will definitely share your feedback with those two departments so that we can continue to improve. I am very sorry for any miscommunication regarding adjoining rooms, the noise you experienced and for your delayed check-in time. Our check-in time is 3:00 p.m. and we do our very best to accomodate all arrivals.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns. I wish you all the best.
chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We always prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites whenever we travel. It's a usually a no-brainer. Large well appointed rooms, made to order breakfast,evening reception and other ammenities keep us coming back. The front desk staff here were very nice, professional and courteous of course. However, I cannot say the same of the short order cooks we encountered in the morning while ordering our omlettes. He was rude and unwelcoming when my husband asked what his choices were for his omlette. I only mention it because the same cook was very rude to me as well & that is not how I expect to be greeted or treated in any place of business.
The rooms true were a bit dated but not a huge deal for us but the beds were AWEFUL. It was like trying to sleep on a bed stuffed with tube socks, just terrible. The location of this property was strange as well...behind a strip mall backing up to the freeway ?? I asked for a quiet room away from the elevator and atrium, so my room faced the freeway instead. Given the location of this property, the condition of the most basic service provided; its BEDS I would expect a significant drop in its price. You are not getting what you pay for at this Embassy Suites location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear ChicagoFirewater;

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I was very pleased, however, that you found our front desk staff to be nice, professional and courteous; I know they will appreciate that feedback. In regards to the short order cooks that you mentioned I will personally share your feedback with our Executive Chef; I know he shares the same passion for service that I do. This is not acceptable service and you have my sincere apologies. Regarding our beds, it tends to be a catch twenty two. Many guests love our beds, and there are others, such as yourself, that find them less comfortable. When the hotel receives an update I'm sure the bedding package will be included. And finally, our hotel location can be a little confusing in that it was built as part of a shopping complex and the hotel is located in the back of the complex.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. All the best!
Seattle
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We love Embassy Suites but the last one we stayed at did not have movies on demand and this one did. We had a long drive down and we were not up for leaving the room for dinner the first night so we got room service. It was quickly delivered and nice simple food and we picked a fun movie too.
Breakfast was great. I liked that they had a special option that changed each morning. Each day we usually had the special, french toast, eggs benedict and I forgot the first days special .

The staff was nice. They have a new manager who helped me when i discovered that I had not read the cancelation fee for leaving early and it was indeed in the fine print of the reservation. I now know to make two reservations in advance when I am not certain the number of days we need to stay. I will now make the two reservations and then cancel the one that does not work rather then modify one. The modifying charge can vary from $75 to $$$.

The location is right off the freeway so we could head to the Pismo Beach and surf each day quickly and easily.

I would stay here again. Our room was on the third floor in a corner so it was very quiet. The room was a standard clean room with the refrigerator and microwave. The price was great for a family of four with the full breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Luvroadmagic;

Thank you for the many kind words and compliments. Sounds like you had a great dinner and a movie experience. Many guests compliment us on our complimentary breakfast and take advantage of the cook to order items; I'm glad you found our breakfast a great value. I was also pleased to see that you appreciated us working with you regarding your reservation, that you found your room comfortable, quiet and that you thought our hotel was an overall great value.

I wish you and your family all the best and hope to have you back in the near future.