So our check-in issue is probably anecdotal, and one of those things that happened to me, but won't happen to you, so let me tell you about that last.
In terms of room quality, they are fine, certainly not terrible and while they have been updated at some point, the old architecture (ie very low ceilings in bathroom) cannot be over come by paint. Also the pull out couch was such poor quality, I felt guilty leaving the kidlets on it. The king bed in our room was fine, except the sheets were placed a bit short and I could feel the mattress pad with my toes. There was a small amt of mold in the windowless bathroom, but I live by the beach--I'm used to mold. Breakfast was decent but not great. While the variety was there, the quality was lacking. My kids wouldn't eat the bacon...they love bacon. Enough said.
Check-in issue: I booked the room by calling SLO Embassy Suites directly and the woman on the phone was personable and very friendly. She described the "executive rooms" as top floor, away from the freeway. The AAA rate fee increase was in the $10-15/night range, and I said, "great, I'll take an execute suite" because I'm a light sleeper.
On check-in, 4 people were in line, with one employee working the desk. Stinks. The lady at the front of the line kept clarifying directions for wherever she was headed (GPS woman). Anyways, after about 10 minutes, I made my way to the front, and checked in with a worker who was friendly, but not convincingly competent. I did mention I had booked an "executive suite" and presented my reservation slip with my husband's Hilton Honors number. I stepped away from the line with keys in hand and gathered my family. Unfortunately it was then that I realized my room was on the second floor out of 4. Didn't I "splurge" for the top floor executive suite??? I got back in line and waited for the next four people in front of me, another 10 minutes or so. The worker said they were booked and that's all they had, but he could call the manager. Okay. I wait 5 minutes for the manager to arrive.
Enter Mitsy Schmidt...charming. She was rude and acted as if I was interrupting her afternoon nap, rather than asking how to solve a problem her hotel created. Embassy Suites SLO took my extra charge and didn't provide the room they sold me on...but worse they didn't even acknowledge it on check-in. WTH???? One of the most dishonest practices I have seen in a hotel. They were willing to take the extra fee without providing the extra amenity. I would have understood if when I checked in they said, "we apologize, we are oversold and we will have to credit you the exedutive suite fee and check you into a regular room." That would be an honest solution. But keep my upcharge AND don't give me the room. SKETCHOLA.
Charming Misty's solution to my problem was, "I can charge you the rate for the room you are checked in to." My husband laughed later saying, "great, because I don't want to be charged a higher rate, than that of my room." When Misty offered me this amazing deal, I was ticked. Now that I call you out on this sketchy business practice, you are ready to make it right. I don't think so. "I want more." I replied. 3 minutes later, and I had keys to the room I had been upsold on--the executive suite. WHAT THE HECK Embassy Suites SLO???
Very disappointing. I booked this hotel because I thought the two room accomodation + breakfast would work well for my family. We have close friends in the area, but we won't return to Embassy Suites SLO on our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near SLO Wine country and gorgeous beaches, this hotel is perfect for your San Luis Obispo vacation! All guests receive complimentary breakfast and cocktails & snacks at the nightly evening reception and spacious, two-room suites. The hotel offers a shuttle to the famous SLO Farmer's market for $4 round-trip every Thursday night. The on-site restaurant, Greenhouse Grill and Cafe, offers delicious Californian cuisine. Enjoy an indoor pool, 24-hour business center, 24-hour fitness center and high speed Internet access (charge included). Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo is 100% non-smoking and a $300 fee will be added when smoking in a non-smoking room or suite. This hotel also has a late check-out policy of a half day rate up until 4PM. After 4PM, the late check-out policy becomes a full day rate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo Hotel San Luis Obispo
- San Luis Obispo Embassy Suites