“Disappointed: upsold to "executive king" on phone, but not honored on check-in”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

So our check-in issue is probably anecdotal, and one of those things that happened to me, but won't happen to you, so let me tell you about that last.

In terms of room quality, they are fine, certainly not terrible and while they have been updated at some point, the old architecture (ie very low ceilings in bathroom) cannot be over come by paint. Also the pull out couch was such poor quality, I felt guilty leaving the kidlets on it. The king bed in our room was fine, except the sheets were placed a bit short and I could feel the mattress pad with my toes. There was a small amt of mold in the windowless bathroom, but I live by the beach--I'm used to mold. Breakfast was decent but not great. While the variety was there, the quality was lacking. My kids wouldn't eat the bacon...they love bacon. Enough said.

Check-in issue: I booked the room by calling SLO Embassy Suites directly and the woman on the phone was personable and very friendly. She described the "executive rooms" as top floor, away from the freeway. The AAA rate fee increase was in the $10-15/night range, and I said, "great, I'll take an execute suite" because I'm a light sleeper.

On check-in, 4 people were in line, with one employee working the desk. Stinks. The lady at the front of the line kept clarifying directions for wherever she was headed (GPS woman). Anyways, after about 10 minutes, I made my way to the front, and checked in with a worker who was friendly, but not convincingly competent. I did mention I had booked an "executive suite" and presented my reservation slip with my husband's Hilton Honors number. I stepped away from the line with keys in hand and gathered my family. Unfortunately it was then that I realized my room was on the second floor out of 4. Didn't I "splurge" for the top floor executive suite??? I got back in line and waited for the next four people in front of me, another 10 minutes or so. The worker said they were booked and that's all they had, but he could call the manager. Okay. I wait 5 minutes for the manager to arrive.

Enter Mitsy Schmidt...charming. She was rude and acted as if I was interrupting her afternoon nap, rather than asking how to solve a problem her hotel created. Embassy Suites SLO took my extra charge and didn't provide the room they sold me on...but worse they didn't even acknowledge it on check-in. WTH???? One of the most dishonest practices I have seen in a hotel. They were willing to take the extra fee without providing the extra amenity. I would have understood if when I checked in they said, "we apologize, we are oversold and we will have to credit you the exedutive suite fee and check you into a regular room." That would be an honest solution. But keep my upcharge AND don't give me the room. SKETCHOLA.

Charming Misty's solution to my problem was, "I can charge you the rate for the room you are checked in to." My husband laughed later saying, "great, because I don't want to be charged a higher rate, than that of my room." When Misty offered me this amazing deal, I was ticked. Now that I call you out on this sketchy business practice, you are ready to make it right. I don't think so. "I want more." I replied. 3 minutes later, and I had keys to the room I had been upsold on--the executive suite. WHAT THE HECK Embassy Suites SLO???

Very disappointing. I booked this hotel because I thought the two room accomodation + breakfast would work well for my family. We have close friends in the area, but we won't return to Embassy Suites SLO on our next visit.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
2  Thank solomentehawaii
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear Solomentehawaii,

Thank you for being our guest and I am embarrassed, rather upset, and assure you this is not our standard practice, far from it. There is absolutely no excuses for poor service, we are in the hospitality business and responsible for clean, safe, and great guest service.

I appreciate your commentary regarding your suite, which we are investigating and will correct, using a peroxide to clean and ensure consistent clean for our bathroom tiles as well as checking monthly our vent motors for the suite bathroom. Our sofa bed mattresses are being changed to a memory foam option and our hope is to complete this in-house to truly deliver a great night sleep using the living room bed option.

Our new Executive Chef is taking on the legendary cooked to order complimentary breakfast quality and are very excited with his passion and expertise.

My first point of investigation is of course the matter at hand regarding your suite reserved and although we have some new associates this is our number one priority - delivering the suite type you reserved and that if so some reason they are not, then we are to make adjustments, alternative solutions, apologise, and thank. Again I am terribly sorry for this matter and if you would be so kind in to contact me with your name and your date of stay I will personally respond to you. I have contacted my colleague that you referenced and will be ensuring that your message is delivered and that we have indeed learned from your valuable comments and ensure this does not happen for any future guest.

I truly look forward to the opportunity to speak to you in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Tim Billing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Were in town for a college tour on Spring Break. Hotel was busy and seemed fully booked. Decent rate and relatively nice room. Beds slept well, everything worked but just had a slightly used and worn feel to it.

Fitness room was small but clean and worthwhile from a workout standpoint. Indoor pool looked a bit small for exercise but fine for play.

Breakfast was very average. Crowded area and slow clean up help made it tough to find a table.

All in all - a good stay in comfortable beds.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear SCfan88,

Thank you for being our guest and congratulating us on your experience, of course we strive to make our guest experience a little better everyday and will be able to with commentary from our guests. Although we were indeed full during the Spring Break time frame it is certainly no excuse to challenge our guests in their breakfast experience and we have put some additional thoughts into this for high occupancy time frames.

Delighted that you had a great rest and that you were able to enjoy the new Precor fitness centre equipment and our indoor pool. Our pool being indoors is 27,000 gallons and perfectly clean and as you mentioned perfect for fun.

Thank you again for your valuable comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back when next in San Luis Obispo.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family of four enjoyed our three day stay at the Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, the rooms were clean and sufficient for all. The breakfast with made-to-order omelets was very good and filling. After reading other reviews we ask for and received a room that was away from the freeway and was quiet. There is a mall next to the hotel with a Cost Plus next door if you need another bottle of wine. My daughters enjoyed (the biggest) Forever 21 store just a few stores away. The evening Manager's reception was good with complimentary drinks and appetizers. The food was ok with some fresh veggies, refried beans and chips and while the bartenders were not well versed on many drinks they were not shy to pour what they knew. The hotel was centrally located whether we were going downtown or to the beach. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear ncalifvol,

Delighted that you had a fantastic three day stay with us and that you were able to enjoy your suite, location, breakfast, and most importantly the team here in San Luis Obispo. We are very proud of the team here and what they deliver so brilliantly every day.

I have passed on your suggestion to the evening reception team to ensure that we are continuing our education in delivering our guests favourite refreshments and thank you for allowing us this opportunity to just get that much better.

Looking forward in anticipation to seeing you when your travels bring you to San Luis Obispo once again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here two nights as a family of four. The hotel was okay, the rooms were smaller than other Embassy's we stayed at. The rooms seemed to be dated and seemed to lack maintenance. The pool was small, the breakfast was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Not too far of a drive to Hearst Castle (45 minutes). Would definitely try another location before staying here again.

Dear Ken L,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to furnish your comments on your recent stay, we are indeed very proud of the team here that truly delivers quite exceptional service and our magnificent complimentary breakfast. The majority of Embassy Suites are similar in size in regards to the two room suites, certainly there are a number that are slightly larger than ours and that is also correct in swimming pools, although overall very consistent. I apologise of the lack of attention to our maintaining the suite you were in and if at all possible if you could send me an e-mail with that suite number or date you were our guest I will investigate.

With that said please allow me the opportunity to ensure perfection and if you travel plans bring you to San Luis Obispo again please inform me personally.

Thank you for being our guest.

Yours sincerely,

Tim Billing

Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you want an overpriced old hotel from the 70's and you don't care to clean you own table to eat breakfast then stay here. The cook actually came out from behind the omlette station to bus tables. i think they ran out of clean plates. They dont care about customer service.

Room Tip: Go across the street to the vagabound half the price and eat at dennys
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear handsuplastyle,

I wanted to take this opportunity to honestly thank you for your comments on your recent experience, certainly and absolutely no excuses for this experience. We understand levels of business and change accordingly, this it seems was not the case on your stay. We are and will continually review our levels of inventory for all plate ware and utensils and schedules to ensure we do not repeat this experience.

Our team here I must say do jump in to do their best, however and again you should not have experienced this during your breakfast.

Should you allow us the opportunity in the future I will personally ensure that this is not repeated.

Thank you again, and with your commentary we can get that much better.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had a great experience at the Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo. Comfy beds, good food, fantastic cocktail hour. My daughter lived in the pool and thoroughly enjoyed herself as did my wife and I. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Always a great experience with Embassy Suites, I would recommend the San Luis Obispo location without hesitation.

Room Tip: Stayed in the west corner farther away fro the freeway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Billy B,

Thank you, it is a pleasure and was delighted to hear that your wife and daughter thoroughly enjoyed their stay as much as you did. We appreciate your being our guest and will never take that for granted, we will continue to take pride in everything we do and deliver the very best to every guest.

Again appreciate your praises and these are shared with our entire team.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a great hotel! Room was very spacious and clean, the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly and the free breakfast buffet was great! The buffet offers free made to order omelettes, in addition to a large selection of other breakfast items. There's a Peets coffee located in the breakfast area, love it!! They also offer a free happy hour. There's a huge mall located next to the hotel, including a selection of good restaurants.

Room Tip: This hotel offers a free breakfast buffet and afternoon happy hour. There is a big mall next door, w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear davidsantacruz,

Thank you for being our guest, we are delighted that you found your spacious two room suite comfortable, clean, and quite. You are among many whom enjoy the complimentary cooked to order breakfast and evening reception.

Again it was our pleasure being of service to you and looking forward to your next stay with us.