“Great escape and anniversary spot”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Visalia, California
“Great escape and anniversary spot”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I came here for our one year anniversary. We wanted to get away from everything for one night and the embassy suites was our chosen destination. We arrived about 4:30 in the afternoon, parked our car for the night and awaited a lovely evening.
We checked in and the lobby staff were very perky and energetic. We got to our suite and it was huge! I've stayed in other embassy suites before and i was still super impressed. I noticed there wasnt any robes hanging in our bathroom so i immediately called housekeeping for two robes and they delivered them within 5 minutes.
the other best part was the free drinks and the hot breakfast. From 5:30-7:30pm theres an open bar and snacks to munch on. we each had ourselves about 5 drinks a piece and felt very nice indeed. We then had a lovely dinner at the cafe in the onsite restaurant and ended the night in the spa. we got up the next morning to a hot made to order breakfast. overall this was a much needed escape and we plan to come back

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I read all the recent reviews and was a bit hesitant in booking a room but were only a few places that can accommodate a family of six. We came down for a campus visit at Cal Poly. I was pleasantly surprised compared to other places that we have stayed at. The suite was clean, comfortable and fairly large compared to the all suite lodgings next to Disneyland. The breakfast buffet was a big hit with my family. The manager’s reception was nothing (chips/popcorn) compared to Staybridge Suites manager’s receptions (hamburgers/hot dogs/salad). Staybridge Suites are newer and cost less when I compare prices in other cities where there are both in the area. We made use of the pool, it wasn’t crowded after 8 pm. The staff was very quick when we called for extra towels. We had friends visit in the early afternoon, the bar gave us free Cokes and water on the house since we were guests (nice touch). I wished WIFI was free but at least the front desk gave me a credit when I tried to connect 2 devices and was going to be charged twice. If we come back to the area, we will most likely stay here again but will be our 2nd choice if there is a Staybridge Suites nearby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SLOGM, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for your kind words, my promise is to deliver perfect and not to take any guest or our hotels for granted. We can only deliver this with guest reviews both positive and those with opportunities. Your experience during the Evening Reception has been discussed and although we are held to our Brand Standards we are discussing options for variety through the week. I do thank you for taking your valuable time to reply and thank you for being our guest.
Tim
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Disappointed. I am a HH Gold member. We arrived @ 9pm, went up to room, opened door and could see the sleeper couch was unmade and had clothes on it. I could hear someone in the bathroom. Went downstairs and was told they were cleaning the room...Isn't check in at 3pm??? They sent us to another room, but this was really not acceptable. We asked if they could comp us a drink at the bar for the inconvenience and were told the happy hour was over. Staff at reception were very nice but hotel seemed very understaffed. Breakfast next morning was fine, no complaints. But it really is not okay to arrive at 9pm and be sent to a room that is being cleaned. Also hotel is very hard to find. it is way at the back of a shopping center. Lots of other options in SLO

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
mgt_SLOES, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We certainly agree that the situation that you found yourself in was not acceptable and certainly not handled in an most appropriate manner. At the very least we should have provided you with a complimentary round of drinks, and certainly had opportunity to do much more than this. On behalf of our staff I sincerely apologize for the nature of your check in experience. Your commentary will be reviewed by our Director of Guest Services as well as Culinary team and used as a learning opportunity for all of our staff. We sincerely thank you for your continued loyalty to the Hilton Brand.
San Tan Valley, AZ
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Sitting in the room right now. Check in was easy and the staff is great. I just came from two nights at EB in La Quinta, CA. I was very disappointed by the room. EB in La Quinta was gorgeous! Supposedly this EB was renovated in 2008 but I think it is more like 1978. Managers
special was sub-par compared to
other EBs including La Quinta and
the two I stayed at in Denver a
week & a half ago. It is in the back of a shopping center which is convenient and close to downtown if you drive there which is fine. Laundry facilities were okay but the dryers sucked and after over an hour did not dry 2 days worth of clothes completely. This EB needs either a complete gutted renovation or lower rates. I love EB but will probably never stay here again. I feel like I was taken on the rate. Also, I found out that if I checked out early there was a $50 early check out fee which is BS. Funny, though, b/c I was planning on canceling my other days here and moving somewhere else until I saw that. Must happen often if they have that policy. I wouldn't say it is the worst hotel but definitely the worst EB I've been in and I always stay at this chain.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank TEMOM79
We sincerely thank you for recognizing the quality of service that you received while visiting our property. While we were fully renovated in 2009, we understand that the decor choice may not best reflect such a recent renovation. We appreciate that you recognized the area of our hotel that we do have daily control over, our service culture. We work very hard to empower our staff to not only meet the needs of our guests but to far exceed them. We consider ourselves very lucky to have the staff that we do, and to have so many individuals that are passionate about our hotel. We look forward to continuing in this tradition, and continuing to move our property forward with current trends as we are able. Your commentary has been reviewed by our Engineering and Culinary teams so that we may continue to improve in all areas for our guest. Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Embassy Suites Brand.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Even though I booked this property, and pre-paid the entire stay, 3 weeks ahead of time, I still had to rooms. I traveled from DTW to LAX on 06 Aug, drove up to SLO to this hotel. I walked in with my pre-paid, two room confirmation for one week in each room, totalling over $2,300 dollars, and I was told they "over booked" and I had no room. They failed to help me find another place to stay. They said they would not "penalize" me for cancelling my reservation due to it being non-refundable. Really? They overbook and want to punish me? I had to end up sleeping in my car in a mall parking lot because there were no rooms available within a 65 mile radius. I am tired, sore, and very upset. Do not stay and ANY Hilton property. They will not honor it......

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank unmannedpilot
We sincerely apologize for the situation that occurred this past Saturday night. Our understanding at the time was that the third party site you booked through had relocated your reservation to another property in the area based on availability, and challenges between our two booking systems. Based on your commentary this clearly was not resolved in a satisfactory manner to any party involved, and again we sincerely apologize. I sincerely encourage and hope that you would consider reaching out to me directly, so that we may be able to better resolve the situation for you. Certainly I realize it may be too little too late, however we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and see what we can do to remedy the situation. Thank you.
Fresno CA
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here over the July 4th weekend. We specifically chose this hotel as they allowed our golden retriever to also stay. I have to say we were a little underwhelmed by the room. It was definitely dated with older furnishings; perhaps it hasn't been updated since it's a "dog suite?" Anyway it seemed to suit our needs until we discovered the air conditioning did not work properly. Our intial attempts to get this fixed weren't too successful, but management did agree to move us the next night. Since we were only staying three nights, we decided to bite the bullet and stay put as we had already settled into this room. We cooled the room occasionally by opening the window and door which was close to an exit door; the cross breeze was very helpful.

The next morning I went to the front desk and told them we decided not to switch rooms, but would like a discount for the inconvenience. The manager said he would look at our account and call us shortly in our room. As promised, he called and immediately offered what I considered to be a very fair discount. I had expected to have to waste time haggling over the discount, but to my surprise, I didn't!! I considered this to be Exceptional Customer Service!

The breakfast was wonderful as at other Embassy Suites with a nice variety of foods. The gym was also nice with updated elliptical machines. Nice touch to have the fresh towels immediately available.

I would definitely consider staying again due to the exceptional customer service!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
mgt_SLOES, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
We sincerely thank you for your thoughtful review of our property. It was our absolute pleasure to have you as our guest and look forward to the next opportunity that we have to see you in San Luis Obispo.

I am pleased to report that the AC opportunity that you reported in your review has been fully corrected and is now completely operational. Despite their best efforts on the night of your stay, the problem was unfortunately more than our Engineers knew how to remedy and we opted to bring in the experts from Southern California. With a couple turns of the wrench and some super secret AC magic later, we have a fully functional AC units in all of our pet-friendly suites.

We are also so pleased to hear that your experience with our management and team was so positive during your stay. We are very blessed to have such a passionate and capable team here in San Luis Obispo. Our priority each and every day in our guest, and we sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us. Best wishes for the rest of your week!
Papeete
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Hotel located in a shopping center and about 2 miles from downtown San Luis Obispo. Close to freeway. Good confort. As in all Embassy suites (as I know) free drinks from 5PM to 7:30PM and full breakfast buffet in the morning are very valuable, especially for a family.
Rooms are large and confortable but the decor is poor and rooms are dark.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family