“Very Unhappy”

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Minnesota
“Very Unhappy”
Reviewed December 16, 2006

I stayed there one night, with two other people. The first room we were given had an apparent short in the wiring to the lights between the beds, so we requested a different room.

As we were unpacking in the second room, I noticed that the carpet between the bed area and the sinks was wet and that the safe did not close and actually posed a hazard to our shins as it stuck out in the walking path to the sinks and bathroom. But we were tired (we had been driving since 4:30 AM), and just wanted to go out to dinner and then to bed.

When we returned from dinner at about 9:30 PM, we immediately noticed a sewer-like stink when we entered the room. I also noticed that the wet area on the carpet was worse. But we were exhausted, so we got ready for bed. By 10 PM, when using the toilet right before turning in, I discovered that the toilet was broken (did not flush at all), and there was water on the bathroom floor.

I wanted to call the front desk right away, but the other people in my group were SO TIRED, and we figured we would have to get dressed again and move to a THIRD room -- and God knows what we'd find there!

So we decided to wait until morning. Needless to say, with 3 people in the room, the toilet was pretty full -- and gross -- by morning, and the carpet and bathroom floor didn't improve either! When we called the front desk, they gave us the keys to the adjacent room, where we used the bathroom and got dressed. But, of course, we had to "schlep" (carry) our stuff to that room in our nightclothes, effectively having 3 rooms before getting one that was not HAZARDOUS to our health!

Neither Hotels.com (where we got the reservation) nor the Ramada wanted to give us a refund, even though the front desk clerk walked through each room and confirmed the problems. Note: The night clerk who moved us to the second room never reported the wiring problem in the first room.

Hotels.com eventually gave us a TINY PARTIAL refund, but none of us in the group will NEVER, EVER go back to this Ramada -- and based on the response from management will avoid all Ramadas from now on.

• Disliked — Safety, sanitation, response by management
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed December 2006
6 Thank QualityJo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for the night on the way up to San Francisco. We only arrived at about 11:30pm and were very tired. The room was fine, it did not smell and it seemed clean enough. It was very quiet and easy to check in. We slept well, the bed is not the best but for $69 bucks last minute reservation I would not complain. Its a great place for a night stay or two. I have been at fancy hotels, but this is a cheap hotel and meant for just that..a quick stay.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Hard Bed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niccky524
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed November 18, 2006

RAMADA INN OLIVE TREE, SAN LUIS OPISPO, CA
VISIT: NOV, 2006
FROM: JOYCE TURNER, OCEANSIDE, CA

I stayed at the Ramada Inn while visiting my grandsons who attend Cal Poly. My son (also a Cal Poly grad), his wife and two of my other grandchildren were with me. We stayed in two 2-bedroom suites which fit our needs perfectly. The suites were large, clean and comfortable. Each had a private balcony or patio area. The early morning continental breakfast was a pleasant way to start the day. The motel's employees are very friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure chatting with them. It is also one of the closest motels to Cal Poly, which made our stay even more convenient.

I will definitely stay there again on my next visit. I only hope they have rooms available for my grandson's graduation this coming June.

• Liked — Location, comfort, and service
  • Disliked — Room decor could stand an update
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank uniqjoy
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 22, 2006

As you can see from the reviews its a mixed bag. This is a 2 story motel where you drive up to your door or stairs.

When yoiu read the amenities like refrig, microwave, coffe maker, iron and iron board and free internet access you may think how could you go wrong. Well, you can. I stayed here a couple of nights and there is no pride of ownership. The rooms are in need of a remodle. My room had 2 TV's! One that was bolted to the furniture that proberly stopped working years ago and a new 27 inch next to it that did work. The drain was clogged and when I told them I found no differance the next day. Bulbs were missing in the bathroom. The towel rack was broken, the riron board cover had more burn holes in it then a golf course. If you are expecting Ramada quailty this is not the hotel for you.

Personally I will not stay here again.

• Liked — free internet access
  • Disliked — Badly in need of a remodle
  • Stayed September 2006
5 Thank ganon

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Reviewed September 11, 2006

Little high priced for a budget accomodation. Overall feel that everything needed a good cleaning with 409. Started with opening door handle to room - just had a feel of uncleanliness, like a film of something coated everything one touched. Front desk friendly.

Stayed August 2006
4 Thank lilacsinthespring
Stroud, England
Reviewed September 2, 2006

For the price we paid we could not grumble with this hotel. If you're expecting a large, plush Ramada you will be disappointed; however, as a budget motel we had good value for money.

The welcome from reception was fine, the pool was clean and warm. The room had seen better times, but was clean and well equipped - including a safe large enough for a laptop. The breakfast buffet was not particularly inspiring - just drinks plus sweet cakes.

Hotel location was excellent - just five minutes walk to downtown, and only 100 m from the freeway. However, there was no noise to disturb us.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank Unicyclist
San Francisco
Reviewed August 28, 2006

If you think the name Ramada can be a guarantee for a good hotel, then think again.
The room I stayed in was completely dirty, the bathroom had hair in the floor, and some light fixtures weren't working. But the worst was the room my sister and my brother in law stayed in: there were bugs in the bed and in the pillow! The carpet was smelly (urine?).
The continental breakfast consisted of bad coffee and bad muffins.
Bottom line: There are plenty of cheaper hotels nearby that can't be as bad as this one.

• Stayed August 2006