“worse hotel ever!”

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
SAN FRANCISCO
“worse hotel ever!”
Reviewed June 4, 2009

The service and quality of room is worse than a Motel.

I would NEVER even recommend this to my enemies. I am a Platinum member with Marriott and wanted to try Ramada out, hoping that this would be at par, but after staying at the Ramada h(m)otel, here are a few things that I would like to bring out:

1. Looks like the carpets were not cleaned. Both my wife and son's allergies got triggered very badly after staying in the room for 2 nights, and it took them 7 days of medication to overcome it.

2. There are no utensils in the kitchen - What is the use of a kitchen if you don't even provide a saucepan for heating milk? I asked the front desk (looked like the owner of the motel) and they said that no utensils, and that they expect the leisure travels to carry their own utensils

3. Towels and toileteries - Despite repeatedly telling them and asking for a total of 4-5 towels, the hotel won't send towels to the room . We had to go down 2 times to get the towel ourselves; and the towels are all worn out. Felt like 10 years old.

4. Continental breakfast - Looks like the definition of "Continental breakfast" is not known by the hotel. There was tasteless coffee, NO milk, NO Cereal. Only breakfast items were 2 days old bagels, and stale cupcakes of some kind. My kid threw up after eating the cup cake

5. Appearance - It looks like a motel from outside, very creepy and looks like it has not be maintaned. When you go inside the h(m)otel, your fears come TRUE.

I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Stayed here as a walk-in paying about $110 for the night. Room was reasonably comfortable and acceptably clean. Unfortunately maintenance seems to be an issue and probably the biggest inconvenience was the A/C not working. A lot of little things - only one coffee, no tissues, half a roll of toilet paper...

We were only in for one night on a drive up the coast so it wasn't a big deal, but during our two weeks in California this turned out to be our most expensive room and in the poorest condition.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We stayed here with some friends on a trip up the coast. They made the reservation.

I'm not THAT picky when it comes to hotels, but I would have rather slept in my car. This place is a complete rundown dump, seriously. Other than a decent location, there is absolutely nothing positive about this place. Way outdated, poorly maintained, and just seems shady.

Don't pay to stay here.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I would stay at this Ramada Inn again. We stayed two nights in February 2009 ($75/night) and had a very large room (queen) with comfortable seating. It is centrally located to downtown and the college. The complimentary breakfast consisted of bagels, pastries, juice, and coffee.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Beware - a motel with side effects! We paid $224 for 2 nights for 2 queen beds and micro-frig - it was a nice room, reasonably quiet even though the motel was full. When we woke up on the first morning we found what we later found out were bed bugs and smears of blood on the bed sheets.

We didn't know anything about bed bugs at the time and it was only when I started scratching during the second night I realised what nasty little things they are.I ended up with bites and hives all over my body even on my face which all itched like crazy

Give the motel credit they replaced the beds and the bed linen but unfortunately the damage was done. Customer service was pretty bad, no explanation and no apology - they kept us hanging about for ages while they "sorted out" our room even though we had been out all morrning.

We had to argue for a refund - the under manager wanted to refer us to his manager who of course wasn't around but eventually stumped up refund for 1 night.

Other niggles- we were locked out twice during our stay from the room, the room safe was locked (they charge you $1 a day for the safe whether you use it or not!), the phone didn't work , the hairdryer was hanging off the wall and the bed coverings and pillows looked old, stained and crumpled. Our first (and last) Ramada stay was a thoroughly unpleasant experience, and 2 days later I'm still scratching. You have been warned.

• Liked — In room facilities and good size
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smallessexfarmers
Bend, Or and beyond
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Driving down the coast with the family for spring break my wife and I thought we'd leave one without lodging reservations so that we were not locked into a place to be at for one night. That night we rolled into San Luis Obispo around midnight and decided to call it a night. The first hotel we came across was the Ramada Inn Olive Tree so we stopped there. The hotel was pretty packed already and the price was ok so we decided to stay. We were given room 123 which was fine because the kids were sleeping and I was going to have to carry them to bed so a ground floor room was fine. Upon entering the room we noticed that it smelled of a musty, smokey-stale odor. The room was fairly big, with a back bedroom and walk-in kitchen but the floor was very uneven with huge bulges of something underneath the floor carpets....mostly it was really hard to get past the the stench.....This establishment is in serious need of renovation and fumigation. Luckily our stay was for only a few hours.

Our biggest mistake was not reading reviews before staying!!!

• Disliked — the smell!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank bikesales
San Clemente, CA
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Trip Advisor's "dirtiest hotels" e-mail got me to thinking about my worst hotel experience ever... and I realized I never submitted my review for this junker, so here it is.

We stayed on the ground floor in a back building and the room did indeed have a horrible smell. The carpet was old and dingy enough to make me keep my socks on, and the threadbare sheets and lumpy mattress weren't nearly as disturbing as the old plumbing, leaky shower, and stained tub. The flimsy sliding glass door opened to a "patio" and just screamed for a break-in. Adding to the ambiance is the proximity to NOTHING.

There was one big plus: we were on our way up the coast and while I'm not known for my morning hustle, I was out of that room at 7:30am sharp!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Rundown, dirty
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple