“Tight, rude and petty”

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Oakland, California
“Tight, rude and petty”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

There is a culture among small motel owners to be petty and anti customer - this place is like a training film for this culture. The breakfast, certainly low in calories, was basic to say the least and when i usked for butter for my bagel (no other bread) the owner got out his keys, opened the fridge and got out ONE sachet of butter, placed this on the table and then relocked the fridge. It is a shame - the room was tolerable and most things worked but the rudeness of the staff delegates this to a "forever walk-in" properrty. Avoid.

Room Tip: Break in through a window so that you dont have to encounter the desk staff
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Des W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Irvine
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Room reservation claimed in room wi fi, refrigerator and microwave, the room had neither. Owner said no refunds because the wifi and refrigerator/microwave were complimentary and I didn't pay for them! My daughter had an online course she needed to complete and was forced to do so in their lobby. She ran out of the lobby when the owner was yelling profanities at a customer complaining about his room. Rooms were clean, however I killed 2 spiders. BEWARE of this place...NOT RECOMMENDED...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Davis M

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is possibly the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The room is tired, dated and dirty, despite allegedly having a revamp in 2010. The carpets and chairs have stains all over them, the safe in the room didn't work, the hair drier was hanging off the wall, which was over the sink. The toilet was dirty. There was a stale odour as if the room had been shut up for 30 years and opened up just for us. Everybody we spoke to, or who's conversation we overheard had the same opinion. The 'breakfast' is an absolute joke, there are a few stale muffins, coffe with powdered creamer, and that is it, I kid you not. I asked for some milk or some cereal and was told that because the cafe attached to the hotel SOLD breakfast the hotel weren't allowed to provide milk! When a tried to argue my point all I got was 'I just work here'! Hello, that's the idea.

If you are thinking of staying here I suggest sleeping on a park bench instead, you will certainly have a better nights sleep with better surroundings and better customer service, heck, there might even be some milk in the bin! Please, avoid this hotel like the plague.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GuitarGeorge1
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The only night we left to chance on our California trip as we had booked and researched everything else - wont do that again. Thought Ramada would be OK, popped in for price which was pretty expensive for what you get, but late so agreed to it. Very dated room and weird room - 2 bedrooms with king and queen respectively and a proper double bed in the lounge area. I didnt really feel comfortable here and the floors were so thin, we could here everything from the room next door - which went on until the early hours. Continental breakfast disappointing. Will definately avoid Ramada from now on.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KIC2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed there this weekend. What sounded like a small army of some species of animal inhabits the ceilings and walls. Very loud scratching and scurrying around. I reported to the front desk and didn't get much of a reaction. Also the rugs in the room were dark brown but still looked overdue for a steam cleaning by a couple of years.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travel95814
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have NEVER experienced such poor service in the "hospitality" industry in my life. When we checked in, the toilet paper role was empty and there was short spiky black hair in the sink. We called the front desk and asked them to come clean it and it took them twenty minutes. When they got there they actually said to me "how do I know its not your hair and you just want us to clean it?" After arguing about that for awhile, I asked them to change the sheets because if they hadn't cleaned the bathroom then how do I know if they cleaned the sheets? They assured me that the sheets had been clean (kind of like they assured me they had cleaned the sink). But eventually someone changed them.

The shower was cracked and disgusting. If someone above or next to me flushed the toilet, the water scalded me. I literally had to listen for toilet sounds to step out of the water. I wouldn't stay here again in they paid me to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kelly d
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I didn't know there was a 48 hour cancellation policy (I made the reservation about 15 hours in advance)...so I asked for consideration when I decided to cancel. In his shrill, rapid Indian voice, the owner says "What do you mean you want to cancel. You cannot cancel!".

So, I decided to not waste the mony: I checked in. I learned from the desk clerk (nice guy: his son, I think) that they were full that night. I asked for the owner...and asked him why, if they were full, he wouldn't accommodate my request to cancel. 'because if I do it for you, others will take ".

This idiot thinks being in the hospitality business means enforcing mindless house rules.

Then, I'm put in a room net to their tiny pool....where a group of young adults were loudly drinking great quantities of beer. And the bed wasn't that omfortable!

As I Sid, I understand about rules...but I also understand about making the customer happy.

Room Tip: The pool is loud!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo