WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo

Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Fresno, California
“A motel that knows their guests”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo weeks at a time since March 2010. While there I've noticed that they go out of their way to make sure their guests are comfortable and have everything they need. I have a favorite room that I request each time I book a week's stay - I always get that room. That level of service is remarkable. I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo to anyone visiting the area for whatever reason. You will be glad you paid them a visit!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

I had planned a 10 day california trip with my family in July. i had carefully planned the trip and made all reservations in advance. We started in LA and drove up the coast and had confirmed reservations at the Holiday Inn Express this busy saturday night.

it looked like every hotel we saw was "no vacancy". we had 2 adults and 4 teens so we had reserved 2 rooms with 2 double beds each at the this holiday inn.

we arrived that evening . we had made the resevation through a mastercard rewards program and had our reservations confirmations in hand when we went to check in.

the desk manager indicated that he had one room with one queen bed reserved for us, we showed him the confirmed reservations that clearly stated we had reserved 2 rooms with 2 doubles each and he said those don't matter and he had no record of them except one room with one queen bed. we explained that we had six people and reservations for 2 rooms.

he repeatedly said he would do anything to help us. i asked him to get us two rooms, he replied he could not do that. i asked him to find a room somewhere else , he said everyone was sold out and he could not do that. i asked him to give me a refund since my room was paid with credit card and points and they had been charged weeks before. he said he could not do that.

at that point we left and pulled out our AAA tour guide and started dialing every hotel in the area. after about 15 calls, we finally got a vacancy and did get 2 rooms at a beautiful bed and breakfast.. but it cost more than double our reserved rooms.

we had no choice but to take the rooms and pay the higher rate since now it was almost 10pm and we had four tired teens in the car.

this hotel is either incompetant or dishonest (it was a busy night and they gave away our rooms and charged a higher rate).

upon my return, it took me several hours of emails, faxes and phone calls over 2 months to get my money back.

the holiday inn gave us a partial refund that did not cover the cost that we actually incurred. so i lost money on this having done nothing wrong. if they had given me full credit for my cost, i wouldn't be writing this review. So for a lousy hundred bucks or so that they couldnt compensate me, they deserve this.

we never got an apology from holiday inn either.

this was the only problem we had on our 10 day trip. every other reservation at westin, sheraton, w hotels, etc was honored as well as airfare, car rental,and amusements.

that was our odyssey with this holiday inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Myself, along with seven of my colleagues have stayed at the San Luis Obispo Holiday Inn Express for over 4 weeks. Joel the General Manager has been most helpful in finding enough accomendations for our stay at a competitive price. I had never been in the beautiful town of San Luis Obispo before, but from day one the front desk staff was informative concerning attractions and restaurants. It reached the point where at the end of a long work day, we would return to the hotel and visit with the front desk staff as if we have been long time friends. I have recomended this hotel to friends, and will continue to do so. I had checked out several area hotels, but I feel you get more bang for your buck here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

I have used this hotel in the past , and have enjoyed my stay, but this trip was special! As a first night stay of a week long camping trip with my kids , Jennifer 13, and Andrew 11, I knew that we could enjoy a clean, peaceful, place as a starting point for our trip, and that was exactly what we got!,The front desk staff was very pleasent and helpful The complementary breakfast was a wonderful bonus! As we were about to check out my car experienced a broken gear shifter, within 2 minutes, GM Joel Koper was on scene to help, after viewing my problem, he asked me about a tow truck, and if I knew a mechanic?, which I did not!,(we live in San Diego) he offered assistance for both! that, to me, was far and above a hotel gm's job, so as the day progressed , Mr. Koper was there for us, any questions, or concerns, . So as week progressed the staff was aware of our situation and absolutly top notch! I will definitly stay at the Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo again, as well as recomend them to all my friends and co-workers.
In closing, Mr Koper and his staff , in my view, need to reconized for their actions, they made "my nightmare" livable , and for that, me and my kids owe them a great deal of graditude!
Thanks You, yours truly
Doug, Jennifer, and Andrew Johnson

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff really go out of their way to see you are happy. We had a problem that was my error in making the reservation. They could not have been nicer in resolving it. The location is close to downtown and the facility is very clean and nicely decorated. Lastly, the food at breakfast was very good. Many times these hotel breakfasts are quantity not quality but the food was great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at this property for one night while on a road trip from SF to Santa Barbara. From the outside and lobby we had high hopes. While the room was a nice size and clean, upon closer inspection, a bit disappointing. We had a mini-fridge in the room and unloaded our picnic supplies for the rest of the weekend. When packing up in the AM, I noticed that the fridge didn't fit into the cut-out cabinet and the door would get stuck onto the cabinet door next to it. Plus, it rocked back and forth and you could literally pull it right out of the cabinet (it wasn't very secure). So, all of our fridge items were warm and our freezer packs didn't stay frozen. Very frustrating! The other issue was the bed (and that's a pretty big issue for a hotel room). When we first sat down on it, we noticed how soft the mattress was. Ok, not like ours at home but not a big deal. Well, when it was time for bed, we both basically rolled towards each other in the middle, it was that soft!! You basically had to hug the side of the bed to sleep and avoid rolling around. Mix that in with VERY thin walls and an amorous couple going at it until about 1am, suffice it to say it wasn't the most relaxing night's sleep we've ever had! Next time we're in SLO, we'll probably pick another one of the chain hotels along Monterey Ave.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

The entrance, lobby & breakfast area look very nice & updated, our room did not have the same panache. I appreciate the need to conserve water, yet the flow in the sink faucet was so restricted that it comes across just as being cheap! One isn't able to cup water in hands to wash faces or it takes many minutes to run to get hot water and more minutes to fill the sink to shave. This is really an annoyance. The sink drain was rusty and the cabinetry is painted over & nailed shut for some reason. The bed was very soft - I came close to just sleeping on the floor so my back wouldn't form a "C" as I lay on the mattress. The A/C would not cool unless motion was detected - great so we get to sleep in an oven during the night. The window only opens 3 inches, so we couldn't even take advantage of the cool evening to chill the room down. The ice machine at this HI again was broken, but at least there was a note directing you to other locations. The old TV had NO video inputs (FYI this is where Hyatt Place earned my loyalty!) and they also told me even if inputs were available, they would be blocked so HI can charge for pay-per-view options.

On a positive note, the breakfasts have nice cheesy omelets, pastries, bagels and very good coffee. The location is a very walkable 20 minutes stroll to down town restaurants, mission and theatre. I understand SLO can charge over the odds for hotel rooms, but I wouldn't rate this HI horrible, but average. We previously stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in SLO-it costs more, but is significantly nicer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple