“Average / not bad”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Toronto, Canada
“Average / not bad”
Reviewed October 12, 2005

This is not a new property, nor was it originally built as a Holiday Inn Express. Newly renovated with clean rooms and common areas. Average quality, but very clean and nothing to be upset about.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank Jadacyyz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Western U.S.
Reviewed August 1, 2005

For the price I paid, I expected a little more..... However, the room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Bedding and linens were newer, and in good condition, as was the furniture. It did have some nice amenities such as bathrobes, a small fridge, coffee maker, etc.... There was always plenty of parking available, and the entrance to our room was very easily accessible. If you're looking to spend a lot of time in downtown SLO, or if you're visiting other areas throughout the day - this is a clean and comfortable hotel to stay in. However, if you're looking for a romantic getaway this might not be the place to stay, and don't expect a nice view from your window. Please note: I would not recommend trying to get a room before check-in time (3 p.m.) -I tried to do this and wasted quite a bit of time coming back and being told to try back at another time.

Stayed July 2004
9 Thank Nickel128
Durham UK
Reviewed May 31, 2005

We stayed here overnight, and were not expecting too much from the place. Our room was not ready when we arrived mid-afternoon, so we were directed to the 'Quarterdeck' diner next door. Very nice meal, and has a micro-brewery too, so you can get a real pint! We asked for a high floor, but accepted a mid-floor with king bed, which was clean and very well appointed, with a washing/dressing area separate from the bathroom, and a comfortable settee with table and desk. No problems with noisy aircon - in fact the only noise came from kids playing football in the corridor, and you have to blame the idiot parents for that, not the hotel staff! Internet access was free, as was a very good breakfast the next morning. This hotel isn't the Ritz, but excellent value for what we paid.

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank Samol
Arizona
Reviewed May 7, 2005

This hotel does not live up to Holiday Inn Express standards. The building looks very nice from the exterior and is centrally located in a good area of town. I also found the lobby area to be nice. However, upon entering my room I found it to be outdated and not very clean. The blankets and bed spread appeared to be very old. There were large stains on the carpet and the furniture showed lots of wear. The A/C unit was 20+ years old and was noisy. This led me to believe that this has not always been a Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is in bad need of a renovation. I stayed on busisness and did not pay for my room so I blew it off. As I checked in at the front desk, a clerk quoted a man $140 for a room. If I had paid $140 out of my pocket I would have been irate! If you can book it for less than $70 or so...I would CONSIDER. Otherwise don't waste your time.

• Stayed April 2004, traveled on business
14 Thank rjp6902
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2005

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo during our vacation in October. The hotel's location was convenient and close to downtown. There was even a trolley stop in front of the hotel that whisked us to the Farmer's Market. We loved the bathrobes that were provided in the rooms and the wonderful breakfast each morning. The staff could not have been more helpful and made us feel like they appreciated our business. We have stayed at many newer Holiday Inn Express hotels, but this one was one of our favorites. My only complaint was some parking lot noise our first night.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
atlanta, ga
Reviewed September 7, 2004

My husband and I recently did the drive up 1/101 and chose SLO as a stopping point. We found this hotel to be perfect for our needs. Friendly and efficient staff, sparkling clean room with a couple of bonuses (extra sink outside the main bath, light terry robes) that we didn't expect. The hot tub and pool were great after a long day in the car and also very clean. A good selection for our continental breakfast. We were quite pleased and would definitely recommend this hotel!

4 Thank GaMdt
UK
Reviewed August 28, 2004

Stayed here on 17th August 2004. I have to pretty much concur with the previous review. There was definately a smell in the guest rooms, I thought it was the airconditioning. We changed our first room because of the smell and ants in the bathroom, but the second room still had the smell, although slightly better and no ants! It was an old hotel that had been partially renovated. The room itself had new carpet, curtains, bedcovers and the furniture was in good order. We were comfortabe enough and the linens on the beds were good quality as were the towels in the bathroom. The pool area was fine and the free breakfast was good also. All in all, we had a reasonable stay, but I would probably choose a newer hotel next time we're in the area (if there is one). Loved San Luis Obispo and can recommend eating at Hudson's Bar and Grill on Monterey Street, Downtown SLO.

• Stayed January 2005