Yes, bed bugs. We never knew what a bed bug was until we stayed here, so we were quite naive and shocked, but now we're educated. We started itching during our 3-day stay in October 2013 and then we assume they hitched a ride home in our luggage. We started seeing bite marks accumulate, did some research, and called in an exterminator immediately. After spraying, we found a few dead ones to confirm it. We've been in our house for 18 yrs and our bedroom was remodeled a year ago. We had not traveled for a few months prior, so this Holiday Inn is the most likely and logical source, but of course this can't be proved without the hotel admitting it. Let me tell you it's a pain washing all your clothes, clearing out all your drawers and putting special covers over your mattress and box springs, but we solved it the first time. Apparently it's not always that successful.
Now for the bad management story. First off, we were late arrivals so we called in advance TWICE on the drive to confirm our 2-Queen room. The manager Joel reassured us all was good, but when we got there around midnight our room was sold to someone else. We found out later it was Joel who did that. Strike 1. It took 30 minutes to find an available room after rejecting a dirty small room smelling of smoke that was not typically rented. We eventually got into a King room after an hour of monkeying around - that's a long time at midnight after a 5 hr drive. Strike 2. The clerk promised that his manager (Joel) would compensate us somehow. We never heard from him and we were too busy with Parent's night at CalPoly to track him down.
We called the hotel to report the bed bug problem as soon as we figured it out. We called back once we confirmed it with dead bugs after spraying our house. Joel was extremely apologetic, but would not admit or confirm anything. He said their pest control company inspected the room but didn't find anything. Not sure if they sprayed or not, but our pest company didn't find anything either until after the spray killed them. They hide very well.
Joel repeatedly apologized for our bad experience and asked what he could do to make us feel "whole" (without actually admitting to having bed bugs of course). I asked for a partial refund and payment for the cost to spray our house. He offered a free night's stay to come back and feel comfortable. My wife flinched at that, but I eventually accepted his offer and apologies as the best he could do. He said he wanted to meet us in person when we come back and he would email us a voucher in the next few days. Well, it's now been almost 2 weeks and no follow up. Strike 3. The odds of getting bed bugs again are pretty low, but we would have trouble sleeping there ever again. We were going to give the fee voucher away to someone willing to risk it. But now we don't even have that symbolic gesture. Need I write more?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel at San Luis Obispo is the area's closest hotel to California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly). Enjoy the best of small town charm surrounded by the unrivaled natural beauty of the Central Coast - from the historic Mission in downtown San Luis Obispo, to the colorful shops, restaurants, wineries, hiking, and beaches. The rustic neighboring communities of Cambria, Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach and Paso Robles are just a short drive away. Our hotel offers a relaxing getaway with newly renovated, spacious rooms and suites featuring refrigerators, bath robes, and amenities to make you feel at home! Enjoy our complimentary deluxe full American breakfast. AAA approved, 3-Diamond rating. Come hop the trolley this Thursday to our weekly, regionally-famed, Farmer's Market. You will find an extensive selection of fresh produce, BBQ & live music! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo Hotel San Luis Obispo
- Holiday Inn San Luis Obispo
- San Luis Obispo Holiday Inn