“Comfortable but needs updating”

Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
CA
“Comfortable but needs updating”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Check in was efficient and staff were nice. They gave me a quieter room which I had asked for. They did not acknowledge my loyalty club membership, but there was an extra amenity - bottled water - 3 out of the 5 nights I stayed. The room was comfortable except for the bed, which was worn into a curve. The decorations were very basic and bathroom was clean. Housekeeping staff was always done by the time I returned for the day. Breakfast was excellent and well-staffed. The pool was out of order until the last night, unfortunately. I did not have the problems that others have had with the wrong room or rate. Check out was seamless. Overall would stay here again but wished they would replace the mattress and upgrade the decor.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are supposedly on the back side but be aware that this is were the bus parking is, whi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BicoastalCa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
California
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stay at Holiday Inn A LOT. I've been loyal to the company for a very long time! I dont stay at any other brand hotel and I received the worst customer service ever!! I booked my room maybe over a week in advance! I checked in last 5th of May and I requested a 2 beds. I've been expecting a 2 beds since like I said, I booked my room early. When I checked in, the lady was very rude. I asked her for a 2 beds since thats what Im expecting and she told me that they are sold out and that she cant put me in 2 beds in a very rude tone of voice. She didnt even try and see what they have!!! I asked if they have roll-away beds since I am travelling with 2 kids plus my husband. She said they dont have roll-away beds and they cant put a roll-away in the room. So they can't put a roll away bed but they can put 4 people in that room? The breakfast was good. Another thing was she was in a hurry checking me in. She just ask for my card, and handed me the keys and never say a word after that. Horrible Customer Service!! The pancake machine keep on messing up but the lady at the breakfast was very helpful. Also, when I checked out the next day, the gentleman named Ian was very helpful and really nice. He actually took time with me and was very welcoming. The spa and the pool was nice but the spa was a little too hot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank AppreciateHope
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear AppreciateHope,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

NEW YORK
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed here recently after booking a five day stay so i could attend a training class in my chosen profession. after being given the price of my lodging at the sate government rate I was shocked to discover that they had billed me for three of the five days at the standard rate for there "Busy" season ????. I spoke with management who informed me that this was already in my original lodging when I signed in. This however is not true as I was told that they had sent me an email stating this would occur for three of the five nights I had booked. So if you plan on staying at this hotel to attend any government training I suggest the Quality Suites down the road instead. I know they are an honest and much cleaner facility.

Room Tip: Quality Suites Hotel down the road much better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tim M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Tim M,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a road trip in March 2012. The hotel is exactly what I would expect from an HEI, they are generally very similar. The staff were exceptionally nice at this location though. The hotel itself is a bit older, could use some touch-ups. The furniture was also a little dated and the bed was a little stiff but I still slept quite comfortably. The bathrooms were a little older but were fine.

The front elevator seemed to have some smell of fumigation or something but there was not notice about it. They should communicate something like that to guests, at least in the form of a note. Anyway, we took the elevator in the back which was fine.

The hotel provided a check-in gift for Priority Club members which was really nice (snacks/drinks). The location isnt bad. There's some restaurants across the street but there's more a short drive away. The breakfast was good, standard at every HEI. The breakfast area was large and more comfortable than many HEI's that I have been to. There was also a pool/spa outside which looked nice although I didnt get to use it. The wifi worked good.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for short stays, business travelers, visiting family/friends, and road trippers. It's not a resort, but it's not resort pricing either. It's simple and inexpensive and includes everything you need, including comfortable rest.

Cheers.

1 Thank aevegan
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Visiting Cal Poly we needed an overnight stay. Holiday Inn Express has a lovely new foyer and dining area. Updated and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast is typical Holiday Inn Express fare - which means it is just fine, but I wish they'd offer more fruit and some whole wheat products instead of only white white white everything. But, the rooms are dated: low light, old linens and carpet, and although the bathroom was clean, the tile was dingy the cabinets were old and painted. For the price of the room, it would be nice to see a more updated and modern space. Nothing wrong per se, just kind of blah. Won't stay there again unless they do a remodel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear GardeninginColorado,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel and had a pleasant experience with our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry our room furnishings fell below your expectations. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Rancho Santa Margarita
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I travel alot for work and am very particular as to the places I stay. This past weekend we brought 21 students and 10 chaperones to this hotel for the Central coast jazz festival. We had booked this several months ago, and everything about the visit was perfect. The rooms were clean, the furniture up to date, hot breakfast buffet was perfect, but was pleased us the most was the 5 star service we received. Sandy Wyrick, sales manager was magnificent! Our rooms were on the same floor, and they were so accomodating. One morning we had to leave early, and they opened the buffet early for us. The front desk staff, and kitchen staff were amazing as well! We plan to stay here again! This is great for anyone!

Room Tip: They are sooo happy to please, a great price for 5 star service!
2 Thank socalmom77
California
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The hotel is a rehab of an older property and is very convenient to downtown SLO. I have stayed at 4 or 5 other Holiday Express properties, all of which had a very pulled together look. The staff is very friendly and amazingly engaged. Too bad the rooms do not compare favorably with sister properties or Hampton. Certainly nothing was bad, dirty or flea-baggy. The bathroom vanity was very low. The curtains and lamps brought back memories of 1970s Holiday Inns and the mattress sagged. The bottom line is that the hotel is satisfactory for an overnight stay, but nothing to be enthused about. Too bad because the staff and location were great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo