“This hotel needs updating all the way around”

Inn at San Luis Obispo
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed December 2, 2010

The desk clerk was very nice. However, this is an old, dumpy hotel. Bathroom needs to be redone. Caked paint on mopboards. Sink faucet didn't work. Breakfast was marginal.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 16, 2010

We were informed on check in that dogs were not allowed in the rooms but it is OK for the dogs to stay in the car. We followed the rules and the dogs never got near the room. The desk clerk inspected the room and found 7 (yes 7!) hairs in the room and charged us the pet charge. The manager told us that if a SINGLE hair is found, the user is charged whether the dog entered the room or not.

These people are thieves don't stay here.

The room was OK at best, the walls were so thin i could tell what show the neighbors were watching on TV.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kbnorth99
Reviewed October 3, 2010

If only I could go back in time and take a room on the second floor. I don't know what the floor/ceiling is made of (very thin sheets of paper?), but we could hear every word of the conversation above us, every movement and this went on ALL night. I called the office and complained twice, but of course you can't keep people from talking, so it was a sleepless night for me. The tub/shower drained so slow that I was standing up to my ankle's in water during my shower. The walls in the bathroom could be cleaned more often. The room was a nice size and the beds were decent.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank heikim
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Rooms were dingy and bathroom was a slapped together, patched up fixer. Kids got rashes from pool and hot tub. Breakfast was not good and they didn't have cream for coffee. Night shift guy was excellent and friendly, but day staff were crabby and unfriendly. Absolutely go elsewhere, we would camp before staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Gina V
Reviewed August 10, 2010

As a father staying with a teenage daughter entering Cal Poly, I had a reservation for MONTHS specifying two queen beds. Upon arrival, check-in was fine with no mention that the only rooms available have only one king bed. Only after unloading all luggage and going to the room did we discover the single bed. When I went back to the front desk to inform the staff, the clerk mentioned that she had known about it since she came on duty, but the only thing she could do was cancel the reservation or I could just take the room as is since room types aren't guaranteed. It's the last thing someone wants to hear at 8:30 at night after traveling for hours to get there. To her credit, the clerk did make some phone calls to other hotels, but I would have to pay their going rate that night with no compensation for the price difference. I told her I would sleep on the floor, but would like a discounted rate for doing so, but that fell on deaf ears. When I asked to speak with the manager, I was told I could only do so the next morning.

Minutes after I got back to the room to discuss the situation--and options--with my daughter, I got a phone call stating that I had ten minutes to make up my mind because they have walk-ups that want a room. UNBELIEVABLE! The situation was not my mistake, and now they're pressuring me to take an unsatisfactory room or get out.

The management needs to 1) have the room type available as reserved and 2) empower their employees to compensate the customer fairly if situations like this accidentally occur.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank NorCalTravelAir
Reviewed August 10, 2010

About an hour or so after we checked in, the front office staff called us to see how we were doing and if we needed anything. That was a first. Everyone we met there was very nice. Also appreciated the size of the room. I've stayed in hotel rooms where the door barely cleared the bed upon opening. This room seemed to have an extra yard of width. Nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We should have stayed in the Walmart parking lot. The lobby was filthy, there was something sticky on the floor. The bathroom paint was peeling off down to the drywall, and there was mold around the windows. I could not
Breathe. At $200 night definitely not worth it.

1  Thank Superdeek
bwslo, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

We are sorry that your stay was not to your standards. We were just recently remodeled and refurnished. We feel that maybe you happened to walk into the lobby just as the floors were just mopped.