“Proper pool, good location, good value”

Inn at San Luis Obispo
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Lugano
“Proper pool, good location, good value”
Reviewed May 28, 2006

The only 'motel' we stayed in on our trip. The room was clean and well kept if a bit smaller than we were used to. The pool was great if a bit tired round the edges - I could do a proper lap though unlike those tiny pools most modern hotels have now. The staff were very friendly, and there was a free internet computer. Breakfast was ok but could have offered a bit more choice. It seemed like a new team were taking over the running of the hotel and they were discussing how to improve it so it can only get better I guess! San Luis Obispo was a fantastic place to stay overnight and we walked into the centre and enjoyed a lovely meal at Mother's and a great free night of entertainment at the Frog and Peach English Pub when the students started jamming. We left thinking we could live in San Luis Obispo!

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank divalibrarian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed March 1, 2006

A group of us stayed here for our annual wine country trip, which this year we decided to tour the SLO region. Rooms were comfortable and looked like they had been recently remodeled. Front Desk staff was pleasant and the breakfast was adequate. Dried fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, bagels, etc. The pool and jacuzzi were well-maintained and clean. Some of the people in our group complained about the mattresses on the beds, but mine was fine. (Maybe it a coincidence that it was the older people in the group who complained :)?

If you are looking for a decent room at a reasonable price, I would recommend this hotel. Location is ideal and there is a very good seafood restaurant across the street, The Quarterdeck.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank jensenly
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 26, 2005

I attended Cal Poly University in '68-'69 and the Somerset was a well established motel then.

Best Western is always a good value and the current owners of Somerset have modernized the bathrooms and freshened-up the rooms.

Great location. Easy on-off access to Hwy 101 freeway. Close to University campus. Free trolley service to Historic downtown. Several restaurants within walking distance.

Better than average courtesy breakfast offered in the morning (cook your own waffles!)

Recommended.

11 Thank twolarrys
Northumberland, England
Reviewed April 9, 2005

Stopped here in the beginning of April 2005.
What can I say!! $100 per night including breakfast for 4 and given the two room "suite" without asking.
This hotel is a motel but for the price I don't think you can complain.
The staff were very friendly and the room was clean and tidy. The bathroom was OK (no mould) but a little small.
My kids loved the breakfast especially the waffle maker.
I didn't have time to use the pool, so I can't comment on that.

7 Thank Richiewoodhouse
San Diego
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Reviews I read led me to believe this place was quite a bit nicer than it was. Bottom line? It is an old motel. Yes, they have painted the large rooms and added nice crown moulding -- but I'm more concerned with the mold in the bathroom. A wall in our bathroom had a critical case of it. The only other real gripe was the filth in the jacuzzi. Other than that, it is basically a convenient little quick-road-trip motel. The free breakfast was adequate ( the kids loved the waffle makers), and location is good. Our toilet clogged on the last day and I heard someone else in the lobby discussing a plumbing issue. So, just a warning--you shouldn't expect much and don't pay over $100 a night for this place (like I did)!

5 Thank DJMadruga
, NEW General Manager at Inn at San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, May 21, 2005
All forty rooms have been thoroughly inspected and treated. In addition, the plumbing has been professionally snaked and repaired in just the past two weeks. We are very serious about maintaining the highest standards and providing the utmost in quality customer service.

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2005

The Actual stay at the hotel was uneventfl enough aside from bored staff members. But upon leaving purse in Hotel room and organising with manager that it was indeed in their custody, the Hotel chose that it would be easiest for them to courier (fedex) it to me directly to my home in New Zealand. Charged my parents and all on their credit card for postage fees. Thats fine as long as it arrives except it dosen't so a month later i call them leave messages no reply. I called the head office and they called the hotel with no reply also (the hotel doesn't not have internet capibilities no email nothing its ridiculous). Finally i get through to an actual person and they tell me i gave them the wrong zip which is untrue. They told me for the second time that they would post it. four weeks later again and no bag. I called them again and the front desk clek says he has no idea about any bag and will leave a message with his manager. It isn't like i just lost my wallet I lost a vintage carved leather bag which cannot be replaced, oriton wallet, gucci rush, anna sui sui dreams (perfume brands), digital camera, jewlery souviners etc. I'm so angry and think best western have done a terrible job at sorting this out both the head office and the shonky franchise.

• Stayed December 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I am the new General Manager as of just three weeks ago, and upon arrival one of the first things I did was personally call the guest in New Zealand to apologize for the inconvenience and try to see if there was anything I could do to remedy the situation. After a brief conversation, I explained that I would immediately send the articles and should she need any further assistance not to hesitate to call me at any time.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2004

I read the reviews from Trip Advisor & decided to give the Somerset a try for my weekend trip to visit Hearst Castle & visit SLO.

My b/f & I were pleasantly surprised at how nice their rooms were! Not bad at all for a motel! The complimentary breakfast made our stay even better :). It's no Embassy Suites (where we normally stay at) but what a treat for a motel!

The only minor "complaint" was that there were hairs in the tub from the previous visitor. Kind of gross but NOT horrible.

GREAT PRICE for a GREAT motel! HIGHLY recommended if you're on a budget! The Embassy that weekend was charging over $300 a night & we got the Somerset for only $99...awesome deal for what we got!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member